All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th November 2012, 05:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
...or the far superior Lost Boys!

Apologies for resurrecting this age old argument, but Lost Boys beats Near Dark hands down!!!

This goes without saying!!!
Rik likes this.
Old 4th November 2012, 05:44 PM
Cultist

I have to agree!! The Lost Boys is a fantastic film.
Rik likes this.
Old 4th November 2012, 07:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

RAT SCRATCH FEVER - I really like the films of Jeff Leroy, which tend to revel in the squalor of their poverty row abjection on 1/10th of the budget of the sloppiest Fred Olen Ray product. Beyond bad special FX and frequent gore and sleaze, they possess a genuine energy and imagination. 'Hell's Highway', 'Werewolf in a Woman's Prison', 'Witch's Sabbath' are all trashy delights IMO. 'Rat Scratch Fever' isn't quite top rankin' Leroy, but it hits home in all the right places, namely big rats with glowing eyes (is that a place? No!), bad modelwork, plentiful budget splatter and general mayhem as LA is destoyed by a wave of pissed off interstellar rodents. Well, I for one liked it.

THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT - Was going for three quid in the local supermarket today, so, I thought, why not? I'd seen it two or three times over the years since it first came out, and to be honest had never thought much of it or taken it that seriously - hype can be unhelpful, perhaps especially on an unconscious level. I was surprised, even taken aback today at its intensity... I guess maybe I was connecting with it for the first time. The atmosphere of dread, conjured from very little, seemed pungent. Perhaps the moves were obvious and the content slight, but the effect was powerful and the sense of encroaching disorientation and 'something disturbing happening', aided no doubt by the then-fresh found footage technique, felt real and pervasive, more so outside of the obvious 'horror scenes'. Maybe it caught me at the right / wrong time today, but I came away from it feeling quite weirded out, which isn't something that happnes very often.

INBRED - Young offenders on a day trip to the 'wilds' of darkest Yorkshire are set upon by degenerate locals and dispatched via means which include extreme gore and reinforcement of regional stereotypes. I was a bit apprehensive in approaching this - I love (erm, sort of) 'Cradle of Fear', but thought this might play its humour a bit too broadly for my liking. Thankfully, the emphasis is, for the most part, on grim black comedy sadism until the final act, when the tone boils up into the far reaches of splat-stick... but by then, I was in it for the ride. There are some inventive and perverse set pieces despite an inevitable aura of Roysten Vasey... the latter element notwithstanding, overall I liked. I'll leave it to my horde of pet ferrets to repair the hole in my regional identity before I recommend it, though.
Old 4th November 2012, 07:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Excellent stuff as always... Blair Witch Project - the last time I ever saw a queue for the pictures snake around the corner...

I'm always slightly weary of bad model work - it kinda ruins Lars Von Trier's otherwise flawless Europa...

Wasn't Inbred by the director of Bad Karma ? Neither of which I've seen by the way...
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 4th November 2012, 07:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Wasn't Inbred by the director of Bad Karma ? Neither of which I've seen by the way...
Yeah, Bad Karma won a competition run by the Dark Side mag back in 1991, really wanted to see it ever since then but haven't had any luck tracking it down yet
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th November 2012, 07:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Excellent stuff as always... Blair Witch Project - the last time I ever saw a queue for the pictures snake around the corner...

I'm always slightly weary of bad model work - it kinda ruins Lars Von Trier's otherwise flawless Europa...

Shit model work in a self-consciously schlocky horror production can possibly deliver, but in a Lars Von Trier flick? You might as well cast Michael Elphic as yr leading man...
Wes and PaulD like this.
Old 4th November 2012, 07:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT - Was going for three quid in the local supermarket today, so, I thought, why not? I'd seen it two or three times over the years since it first came out, and to be honest had never thought much of it or taken it that seriously - hype can be unhelpful, perhaps especially on an unconscious level. I was surprised, even taken aback today at its intensity... I guess maybe I was connecting with it for the first time. The atmosphere of dread, conjured from very little, seemed pungent. Perhaps the moves were obvious and the content slight, but the effect was powerful and the sense of encroaching disorientation and 'something disturbing happening', aided no doubt by the then-fresh found footage technique, felt real and pervasive, more so outside of the obvious 'horror scenes'. Maybe it caught me at the right / wrong time today, but I came away from it feeling quite weirded out, which isn't something that happnes very often.

INBRED - Young offenders on a day trip to the 'wilds' of darkest Yorkshire are set upon by degenerate locals and dispatched via means which include extreme gore and reinforcement of regional stereotypes. I was a bit apprehensive in approaching this - I love (erm, sort of) 'Cradle of Fear', but thought this might play its humour a bit too broadly for my liking. Thankfully, the emphasis is, for the most part, on grim black comedy sadism until the final act, when the tone boils up into the far reaches of splat-stick... but by then, I was in it for the ride. There are some inventive and perverse set pieces despite an inevitable aura of Roysten Vasey... the latter element notwithstanding, overall I liked. I'll leave it to my horde of pet ferrets to repair the hole in my regional identity before I recommend it, though.
Nice reviews Frankie. Its nice to know others get that feeling from Blair Witch as well as me. If it hits you at the right time its very powerful.

Glad you reviewed Inbred. I find Alex Chandon an interesting if not always successful film maker and was hoping someone would review it.
Old 4th November 2012, 07:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, Bad Karma won a competition run by the Dark Side mag back in 1991, really wanted to see it ever since then but haven't had any luck tracking it down yet
Yep, that's where I know it from Rik. I seem to remember reading about Jim Van Bebber's Charlie's Family in the same issue, a film which seems to have been around forever. (Worth the wait though)
Old 4th November 2012, 07:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Shit model work in a self-consciously schlocky horror production can possibly deliver, but in a Lars Von Trier flick? You might as well cast Michael Elphic as yr leading man...
Yes but I like his Tarkovsky fetish so I'll go with it. Michael Elphic was also in a David Lynch film... Lynch and Von Trier - that's not bad at all...
Old 4th November 2012, 07:32 PM
Cultist

I'd like to watch The Blair Witch Project again. I remember I did quite like it. It was quite freaky and different for its day. I also thought the sequel was fun, although very different, lol.

Like this? Share it using the links below!