Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th January 2013, 09:16 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Darkness Light Darkness (1990)- Jan Svankmajor
After mine and Goji's...enlightening...discusions elsewhere concerning the artistic choices of various sources I thought i'd check out something from his 'faveorate' director, a short claymation film of his. It didn't do much for me. Personaly I thought it was well crafted but the realism was creepy, and thats not what i want in animation, realism. I want escapism and although 7 minuets isn't alot of time to ask at the very least make something happen. I get the feeling this was supposed to be a statement of some kind, but besides a penis getting wet and shrinking (alas, we all know how that feels) there wasn't any real depth. Maybe I need to give one of his feature's a chance to understand where Goji is coming from.

Interesting. I have no idea where you are coming from with the "Realism" thing. It is, if anything, Surrealist. It couldn't be further from Realism!
Old 10th January 2013, 09:18 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Interesting. I have no idea where you are coming from with the "Realism" thing. It is, if anything, Surrealist. It couldn't be further from Realism!
I'm more refering to the obvies use of human mould for the model, it just looked like an anatomical doll granted life. I didn't enjoy looking at it, actualy unnerved me quite a bit. Sureal yes, but not entertainingly so.
Old 10th January 2013, 09:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Recent viewings:

Some great choices there as always, Bizarre_Eye.I love 'The Demon Seed'... it's pretty perverse and weird for a mainstream(ish) sci-fi film. My fantasy is that Hisayasu Sato will one day do a really vicious XXX remake.

What's 100 tears like? I was looking for a copy recently, but couldn't find one. I know it's supposed to be quite gory, and, as trite as it sounds, I'm a sucker for clowns.
Old 10th January 2013, 09:21 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Well, I find Darkness Light Darkness to be one of his lighter, funnier animations (despite the almost Cronenbergian aspects of body reshaping and flux). So maybe I would avoid his other stuff if you were unnerved by that!
Old 10th January 2013, 09:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Well, I find Darkness Light Darkness to be one of his lighter, funnier animations (despite the almost Cronenbergian aspects of body reshaping and flux). So maybe I would avoid his other stuff if you were unnerved by that!
I'm pissed off after a crap Biology exam today, so might be my bad. I'll revist him some day for sure, it was an interesting short viewing, not sure if it'll age like wine or vinegar though.
Old 10th January 2013, 09:27 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Some great choices there as always, Bizarre_Eye.I love 'The Demon Seed'... it's pretty perverse and weird for a mainstream(ish) sci-fi film. My fantasy is that Hisayasu Sato will one day do a really vicious XXX remake.
Thanks, Frankie I love The Demon Seed. Such a beautiful, but unnerving film. Julie Christie is excellent. I'd certainly be interested in checking a vicious XXX version out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
What's 100 tears like? I was looking for a copy recently, but couldn't find one. I know it's supposed to be quite gory, and, as trite as it sounds, I'm a sucker for clowns.
I thought it was pretty terrible, to be honest. There are some fairly nice gore effects, and the music appealed, especially in the way it almost seems to occur as 'vignettes' throughout the film. However, Gurdy the clown was pretty underused, the script was terrible, and the dialogue was very forced and cringeworthy in places. I know of people who've loved it though, so don't let that put you off if you want to check it out!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 10th January 2013, 09:29 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I'm pissed off after a crap Biology exam today, so might be my bad. I'll revist him some day for sure, it was an interesting short viewing, not sure if it'll age like wine or vinegar though.
Check out Alice or Lunacy if you want some more awesome Svankmajer.
Old 10th January 2013, 09:34 PM
Cult Addict

The taking of pelham one two three.

An absollute classic from director Joseph sargent with outstanding performances from Walter Matthau, robert shaw and martin balsam amongst others. Forget the remake this one is still the best. The MGM blu-ray looks magnificent as well, if you havent seen this one yet then rent or buy it immediately. I've been coming back to this movie many times over the years and it NEVER gets tiring!!!
Old 10th January 2013, 10:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Albert Fish: In Sin He Found Salvation - 2007 USA d:John Borowski

The dramatised version The Gray Man may be a gem, but this documentary from the same year is sadly not.

This is a woeful and frequently objectionable piece of cheap sensationalism. It gets across the facts, but sadly gives too much screen time to prurient re-enactments and to the artist (and thief, he admits on-screen to stealing Fish's famous letter to Delia Budd) Joe Coleman who comes out with childish, moronic and disturbing statements along the lines of "There was a need for Albert Fish to exist" and "He's an American Shaman, he's one of our dark gods...his voice should be heard".

This is a vile and amateurish attempt at documentary, that does tell the story, but seems to foster reverence for a man who deserves no reverence.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 10th January 2013, 10:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched this last night. The Blue Underground blu-ray. One of my favourite 80's horrors.
Even though the PQ was nothing to get excited about, I doubt we'll ever see it any better - at least you can see what is happening in the dark scenes, something that was a real issue in previous releases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D & B.jpg (22.4 KB, 7 views)
bdc likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!