All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2012, 04:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Who are you referring to?
It kinda feel's like no one agree's with me so it's let's all pile on Hawky moment. Might just be me, soft ****er I am but, eh I just wanted to get my opinion across.
Old 6th December 2012, 04:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
And Rik, wikipedia is hardly the most reliable site on the web.
No, but it is a collection of facts derived from other sources. I'm not having a personal dig at you mate, that certainly isn't my style, but anime is a form of cartoon, such as Dubstep is a form of music, although some may disagree
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th December 2012, 04:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It kinda feel's like no one agree's with me so it's let's all pile on Hawky moment. Might just be me, soft ****er I am but, eh I just wanted to get my opinion across.
As an outsider reading all the posts, you did sound like an angry young Hawkmonger for no real reason, other than you love anime and you hated it when it was classed as a cartoon by others.
Old 6th December 2012, 04:43 PM
Cultist

I just struggle to see the logic in your argument... I'm sure you know what you're trying to get across, and I'm damn sure you know more about anime than I do, but I don't get it.

that said, categorisation is a very subjective thing... people who don't listen to metal would probably struggle to call the difference between black and death, but for those of us that do the difference is pretty self-evident
Old 6th December 2012, 04:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just look up the word "cartoon" in a dictionary.

It's really simple. You're making up definitions that don't exist, Hawk!

There is no dishonour in something being a cartoon. I don't know why you are so upset by a simple fact.

You may feel that the (criminally over-rated, in my view) Miyazaki is somehow insulted by being put in the same style of film-making as Hanna-Barbera, but they both make cartoons. It's a style of film-making that covers many genres and styles.

Zombi Holocaust is a horror film, so is The Haunting. Both very different, Both different levels of artistic achievement, still both horror.

Seriously, you are totally missing that "cartoon" is just a simple term for a drawn animated motion picture. Everything else you mention is completely irrelevant.

You might as well be arguing that "bicycle" doesn't mean "bicycle".
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 6th December 2012, 04:51 PM
Cult Addict

But that's just kinda my problem, Music in the current argument is Animation.
By that logic, Dubstep is the musical equivelant of Cartoons, while Prog Rock could be considered the musical equivelant Anime. There two seprate genre's IMHO, though there to broad to be considered meagre genre's.
Old 6th December 2012, 04:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Oh, hang on. So you think "cartoon" only means things like Animaniacs, Scooby Doo and He-Man.

No.

They are cartoons, but cartoon is a much bigger term than that.

Fritz The Cat, Fantastic Planet, Jungle Burger
...these are all cartoons. And so is Japanese animation.
Old 6th December 2012, 04:55 PM
Cult Addict

Generaly I would apply Cartoons to striclty western culture, American and Eurpean primerily. Anime is restricted to Japan and followers a different format to that of western animation. Just look at Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and compare it to WALL.E and tell me there not polar opposites despite having the same theme and moral.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 6th December 2012, 04:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Generaly I would apply Cartoons to striclty western culture, American and Eurpean primerily. Anime is restricted to Japan and followers a different format to that of western animation. Just look at Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and compare it to WALL.E and tell me there not polar opposites despite having the same theme and moral.
So they are different looking and different in execution.. Fine.

Both cartoons though.

I refer you back to my Zombi Holocaust/The Haunting thing.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
So they are different looking and different in execution.. Fine.

Both cartoons though.

I refer you back to my Zombi Holocaust/The Haunting thing.
Fair doess, but I know many who would no consider The Haunting to not be Horror (ie, induces a feeling of horror) and is instead a supernatural thriller (ie, spooky but not overtly horrific). This make's it a completely different kettle of fish but is once again subjective, like the rest of the argument. We could argue about this until the end of time, there is NO deffinitive deffinition.

Like this? Share it using the links below!