Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180500Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2013, 04:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The impossible

WARNING SPOLER ALERT .................................................. .....................

Went pics to watch this last night and i must admit i thought it was good film and sad as well but i had a few small niggles with it..
First of there was no build up at all of the disaster happening it was telling the story before it happend everyone was playing by pool etc the the earth shook and whoosh the disater happened showing the wave come crashing down...i wasnt to keen on that i have much prefer a build up no matter how small it was even if it was eg people playing on the beach and someone shouting wave then people running for their lives...
And then basicaly for the next roughly half of the film was just her and her son fighting for survival being taken hospital etc like as just on big scene of just them and the people they come across.. there was no scene or story of other people eg when wave came crashing showing people fighting for survival etc but just them two..
Basicaly the whole film only focused on the one family and not realy of anybody else which would have been better if like any other film the story showing other people ...im not sure if i explained this welll but im sure you can understand what i mean....
Its only a small gripe but as a whole the film was very good and sad and ill admit in one scene i had a few tears rolling down my face...
Old 18th January 2013, 04:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
SHADOW OF A DOUBT - White picket fences give way to vistas of endless unknowing when Uncle Charlie hits town... perhaps instructively, beyond its initial tweeness lies a real darkness. Its imagery still seems luminous after repeated viewings - the 'loss of innocence' moment when Girl Charlie seems about to disappear into her own looming shadow in the library after she realizes her uncle is a killer has never left my mind. A great film.
Totally agree. My favourite of Hitchcock. I have no idea how many times I have seen it, yet the power never diminishes. Comes tantalisingly close to my all time top ten.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 18th January 2013, 05:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I watched Bride of Frankenstein for the first time last night, and probably controversially, I found it to be pretty dull, in fact I didn't really enjoy it at all, apart from that one scene when the monster meets the old blind man and he gets taught how to speak.

I'm sure for the time it was great and I can understand where it fits in the history of not only horror but of films, however Dracula is much better and while some scenes in BoF are well shot and the direction is good the film on the whole is flat.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th January 2013, 05:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Not a film but watching the persuaders blu ray box set
Old 18th January 2013, 06:12 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
SHADOW OF A DOUBT - White picket fences give way to vistas of endless unknowing when Uncle Charlie hits town... perhaps instructively, beyond its initial tweeness lies a real darkness. Its imagery still seems luminous after repeated viewings - the 'loss of innocence' moment when Girl Charlie seems about to disappear into her own looming shadow in the library after she realizes her uncle is a killer has never left my mind. A great film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Totally agree. My favourite of Hitchcock. I have no idea how many times I have seen it, yet the power never diminishes. Comes tantalisingly close to my all time top ten.
Apparently, this was Hitchcock's favourite film of all the ones he made
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 18th January 2013, 07:12 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
The impossible

WARNING SPOLER ALERT .................................................. .....................

Went pics to watch this last night and i must admit i thought it was good film and sad as well but i had a few small niggles with it..
First of there was no build up at all of the disaster happening it was telling the story before it happend everyone was playing by pool etc the the earth shook and whoosh the disater happened showing the wave come crashing down...i wasnt to keen on that i have much prefer a build up no matter how small it was even if it was eg people playing on the beach and someone shouting wave then people running for their lives...
And then basicaly for the next roughly half of the film was just her and her son fighting for survival being taken hospital etc like as just on big scene of just them and the people they come across.. there was no scene or story of other people eg when wave came crashing showing people fighting for survival etc but just them two..
Basicaly the whole film only focused on the one family and not realy of anybody else which would have been better if like any other film the story showing other people ...im not sure if i explained this welll but im sure you can understand what i mean....
Its only a small gripe but as a whole the film was very good and sad and ill admit in one scene i had a few tears rolling down my face...
The film is based on a book written by the mother of a Spanish family who are depicted by the actors in the film, perhaps a British family speaking English is more marketable than a Spanish family.

In any case, the reason there is no build up or explanation is because the family didn't experience one – there was just a whoosh of wind and then a wall of water came inland at great speed, wreaking destruction as it went. It's true 300,000 people died and many more survived (most of the extras were played by survivors of the tsunami) but they chose that book which is one family's perspective of the events of December 24, 2004 and the events they experienced before flying out.

I don't think any film could show the events of the tsunami from the earthquake which triggered it to the cleaning up process and rebuilding the infrastructure of Thailand, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and every other affected country.
Old 18th January 2013, 08:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Stenka Razin (1908)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post313798
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 18th January 2013, 08:26 PM
Cult Master

"Blair Witch Project" on the horror channel

Well, actually, I'm struggling to stay awake, and this film ain't helping"

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 18th January 2013, 08:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

and so the decline begins ... Moonraker o.k. the source novel is not really that exciting, but from the ridiculous start (Jaws falling into a circus tent), to the too cute romance between Jaws and the short girl with glasses, to the ending which rips off Luke's Deathstar canyon attack - even down to borrowing the dialogue - this is a disappointing entry in the Bond canon. But that's it for Bond for the time being, tomorrow is a visit to the Kino to see Django Unchained. Can't wait.
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 18th January 2013, 10:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
and so the decline begins ... Moonraker o.k. the source novel is not really that exciting, but from the ridiculous start (Jaws falling into a circus tent), to the too cute romance between Jaws and the short girl with glasses, to the ending which rips off Luke's Deathstar canyon attack - even down to borrowing the dialogue - this is a disappointing entry in the Bond canon. But that's it for Bond for the time being, tomorrow is a visit to the Kino to see Django Unchained. Can't wait.
But you have the classic scene of a pigeon doing a double take! That's worth the price of admission alone!
Hawkmonger likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!