Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2013, 08:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Fair enough if you just said it was rubbish (which it was!). It's was the immoral, vile, contemptuous etc etc, much like the Ken Park business. If you don't like it, fair play, but to then moralise/soapbox about it's content? Not on.

You run the risk of becoming the forum's very own Mary WhiteHawk.

And to actually believe that kids were only inspired to have out of control parties because of the film? Of course they're going to blame an outside influence. I suppose Child's Play 3 killed James Bulger as well?
Old 6th February 2013, 09:08 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
You run the risk of becoming the forum's very own Mary WhiteHawk.
fuzzymctiger likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 6th February 2013, 09:12 PM
Cult Addict

RIDER ON THE RAIN.

A neglected (by me) classic. A young woman in a sleepy french town witnesses a stranger come into town, later he turns up at her house and rapes her. Later that evening she realises he's still there and ends up shooting him dead. Soon after another stranger turns up (played by CHARLES BONSON) and tells her he knows she killed the man, and he wants to know where the money he stole is. Of course she has no idea about any cash, and vehemently denies killing the man, what follows is a cat and mouse battle of wits betwen the protagonists.

A really well shot slow burner with a great plot and a fine performance from brosnan. I watched the shorter theatrical cut of the film so I could make it to my buddies in time to watch...

ARACHNOQUAKE!

Silly Sy-fi channel nonsense with edward furlong, an earthquake releases a bunch of giant killer spiders that the cast must fight to survive. If you've seen
nay other sy-fi origionals this will hold few surprises but its awful trashy fun and eddie furlong has a perpetual expession on his face as if something died inside of him a long time ago. Followed this up with another trashy gem...

Alien infiltration.

A trophy wife and her gold digging mother kill their rich-hick husband in order to claim on the life insurance and property, unfortunately an alien crash lands in the scrap yard where the body is and is killing anyone who comes near. The greedy pair offer 100,000 dollars to anyone who can retrieve the corpse. Cue a long line of greedy, desperate pychos/morons looking to cash in and the bloodbath begins. Then film has a great role for roddy piper and is totally aware of how ludicrous it is, so instead of scares prefers to go for outrageous strange and surreal humour intersperced with bloody violence. It may be no classic but its damnned good fun.

Bare in mind if you walk into your local thats entertainment you can get BOTH these gems on blu-ray for FIVE POUNDS...bargain imo!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 6th February 2013, 10:16 PM
Ex-member

Just watched another couple of classics
And Now The Screaming Starts (Peter Cushing)
Theatre Of Death (Christopher Lee)
Both are very enjoyable classic British horrors
Old 7th February 2013, 12:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Harlan County, USA (1976)

Wow, what an experience with this brilliant documentary. It is a very revealing, candid, and sometimes tragic portrait of the life of a coal miner.

I think for most of us it may be hard to grasp what a coal mine is to some areas in the United States. Not only is it a job or career for most of these people, it is a way of life and inherent to their culture. They live, sleep and smell coal. Most of these people had meager living conditions while working in an unsafe work environment and being paid very little by the companies that owned the mines, who continued to rake in massive profits. This documentary examines their life while on strike, fighting for health benefits and safety restrictions among other pertinent issues.

The stark contrast between the picketing men and their women and the "scabs", or people who are usually brought in to work despite the union strike, is evident immediately. The tension between the two groups and the tactics they use is almost unbelievable that it would be allowed to go on for so long.

The folk music soundtrack provides an alluring atmosphere that never lets up. Each word that is sung is tied to the images we're being shown which makes them all the more powerful. Even if the subject matter doesn't interest you, I highly recommend this documentary to anyone that enjoys informative and resonating material that is sure to leave you thinking.
Old 7th February 2013, 07:23 AM
Cult Rookie

Watched a couple of titles recently. DARK OF THE SUN, the R1 Warner archive release. Great movie, would love to see an uncut version of this one day!

Also watched the DVD of TALES OF TERROR, which wasn't so great. This is the anthology of Japanese 5-minute horror films, you get 33 of 'em spread over two discs. A bit of a chore to sit through, seeing as most of them are RING/GRUDGE rips and 5 minutes just isn't enough time to build atmosphere, character, etc...
Old 7th February 2013, 07:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Tonight I watched Night of the Living Dead on blur-ray. which is my second favourite Romero film (I have a soft spot for Knightriders).
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 7th February 2013, 08:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Scanners (1981)

Still the best exploding head in the movies.
SShaw and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 7th February 2013, 09:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Singin' in the Rain. (1951)

Pure Hollywood gold. Unforgettable song and dance routines, a brilliantly witty script and fantastic performances from all, especially the fleet footed Donald O' Connor. Not to mention Cyd Charisse's incomparable pins which would make this a 5 star film on their own.

As a footnote. Am i the only one who thinks this would make an ideal double bill with Berberian Sound Studio?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg singin-in-the-rain.jpg (95.7 KB, 2 views)
Frankie Teardrop and sawyer6 like this.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Camiile (1921)
The Three Musketeers (1921)
The Kid (1921)
Nosferatu (1921)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post319982
sawyer6 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!