LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2013, 09:56 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Yes - that could have worked too. If they had just shown Alfred with a smile, and not shown what he was looking that, that would have been the perfect open to interpretation ending. His grief may have distorted his vision. But by showing what he did, Nolan allows the possibility to exist - very bad indeed.

Edit- by the way, which icon is for spoiler tags; I cannot find it.
I thought it was important to show what Alfred sees so Bruce's narrative arc either finishes in the grounds of Wayne Manor or happily married with children – I don't think either are poor decisions and, with both as possibilities, you can choose which one is the most probable.

As for spoiler tags, there isn't an icon – it's more complicated than that! Use this, only without the space before the last ].

[spoiler=what the spoiler refers to]The spoiler itself[/spoiler ]
Old 8th February 2013, 09:59 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

It's a great happy ending even without the ambiguity although it doesn't really work on account of Bruce Wayne's international playboy megastatus. Too much suspension of disbelief to imagine he'd go unnoticed.
Old 8th February 2013, 10:07 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Many thanks, Nos.

Personally, I did like the last shot of the cave and the person who found it. That for me was as close to a happy ending as it got - Batman is a legend and he does not have to belong particularly to any one person. The silent guardian and watchful protector may live to fight another day.

Another slight niggle about the last Italy scene - Alfred should have ordered another fermet branca as he did previously!
Old 8th February 2013, 10:34 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Many thanks, Nos.
Personally, I did like the last shot of the cave and the person who found it. That for me was as close to a happy ending as it got - Batman is a legend and he does not have to belong particularly to any one person. The silent guardian and watchful protector may live to fight another day.
...but why did they have to name him as Robin, when he's clearly meant to represent the continuation of the Batman legend - which is he, Batman or Robin, make yer mind up Nolan . . . ?
Old 8th February 2013, 10:36 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
...but why did they have to name him as Robin, when he's clearly meant to represent the continuation of the Batman legend - which is he, Batman or Robin, make yer mind up Nolan . . . ?
To be fair though, in the comics there are times when Robin is also a representation of the Batman legend.

The name was just a little nod, a bit of fan service as far as I was concerned.
Old 8th February 2013, 10:37 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I assumed he was going to become Nightwing!
Old 8th February 2013, 10:40 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I'll admit that I did not like learning that detail either. So I'm going to feign ignorance, put discussions about full names down to idle chit-chat, and try and salvage something from this. But yes - it's more evidence that Nolan really did not think things through.

If CN, CB and JG-L come back, then I'm not going to be happy.
Old 8th February 2013, 12:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought the ending was a little like the one for Inception, which can be interpreted different ways. You can either surmise he survived the explosion and the scene in Italy was real, or it was wishful thinking on Alfred's part, seeing what he wanted to see.
Basically, he set the autopilot and then jumped out I think.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 8th February 2013, 02:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
come on girls........I watched ZFE for the first time when I was 14.....sound familiar??

Ahem, bit later than expected, but here's the rest of that review....

Paranorman. EEEK!! Is this meant to be a kids film??? Because it flipping terrified me in parts. (the tree). Cough cough. Will be watching this again, along with.....

Frankenweenie. More or less the story of a boy and his dog (and a love of Kenneth Strickland), I cried at the end (as usual), some stunning use of composition and a great wee turn from Martin Landau, what more could you ask from a film.

Eldorado (2013). Well, this is the life of a genre film fan. basically a queasy mishmash of 2000 Maniacs & The Blues Brothers, a cast of stalwarts (and Rik Mayall) chew the scenery and Bill Moseley sings (!!!!) If this doesn't intrigue, c'est la vie, I'm not here to tell you what to think.

Berberian Sound Studio. Toby Jones (staid englishman) goes to work for hotheaded foreign types. hilarity ensues. Or was it a Burroughsian nightmare brought on by fear of sheds?? As puzzling as you want to make it, this may turn out to be my FILM of the year. And to prove that the Osc*rs are IRRELEVANT, was this nominated for Best Sound (whatever), I doubt it.

Cat In The Brain. Can't get enough of Lucio's version of Day For Night really, though I wouldn't recommend it as an introduction to the man's work.

Dreams That Money Can Buy (1947). When I watch stuff like this, I remember why I love cinema....but that usually fades so I can steel myself for.......

Boss Nigger (Jack Arnold, 1975). Yet again Turdantino rips a film off wholesale, plasters a different title on it again, everyone calls him "edgy" (though not on this site, kudos folks!!) Ahem. Fred Williamson takes on William Smith whilst on a horse. SOLD!! Better soundtrack than DU as well....
Ta folks! Here's one I forgot to stick in, you'll see why in a minute

Silent Hill: Revelation.
W H A T U T T E R S H I T E. I never learn do I? Considering the shrieking terror that the games had enduced in me, the films are a pee poor mish mashup of confusing folderol and plain crap. Am I being too technical??

AVOID imho.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th February 2013, 02:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Ta folks! Here's one I forgot to stick in, you'll see why in a minute

Silent Hill: Revelation.
W H A T U T T E R S H I T E. I never learn do I? Considering the shrieking terror that the games had enduced in me, the films are a pee poor mish mashup of confusing folderol and plain crap. Am I being too technical??

AVOID imho.
Will do.

I thought the first film was utter tripe anyway.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!