Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2013, 09:40 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
You reminded me - I've got that lying around unopened somewhere in my room. Maybe tonight . . .
Yeah I had to be in the right mood to give it's weirdness my full attention again. Enjoy
Old 9th March 2013, 10:10 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
13.(2010)
Statham! Winstone! Gazzara! Rourke! Sam Riley! Er, 50 Cent!? A-bleedin'-hem! To say that this is convoluted would be underselling it. This is not a criticism!! Quite tense in places imo, this doesn't outstay it's welcome, and even though it's apparently a remake, ignorance is bliss in some cases....
"Apparently" ?! The original is pretty awesome! It had the benefit of being shot in rough n' ready black and white, with an unknown (to me) cast. The much blander remake has the all-star cast that somehow strips any sense of tension and investment in the story. The main distraction for me was just how old and fragile Ben Gazzara looked . . .
Old 9th March 2013, 10:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
"Apparently" ?! The original is pretty awesome! It had the benefit of being shot in rough n' ready black and white, with an unknown (to me) cast. The much blander remake has the all-star cast that somehow strips any sense of tension and investment in the story. The main distraction for me was just how old and fragile Ben Gazzara looked . . .
Believe you me, when it came up during the credits, my first thoughts were "argh, need to see that then", but this is me still on my Statham kick ahem......not that he does much hem hem.
Slippery Jack likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th March 2013, 11:02 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Zen of Sword (1992)

Some great action sequences but overall slow and talky.
That didn't bother me too much though as there's lots of eye candy.
It's really more of a "doomed romance wuxia" like The Bride with White Hair.

The Tai Seng dvd is terrible btw and looks like it uses a mediocre vcd as master...I really don't rate Tai Seng very high...

Did find this better quality assortment of clips on youtube...
Does there exist a better quality dvd release (could also be from the old laser disc?) or is it because it's smaller in pic size?

Last edited by bdc; 9th March 2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 9th March 2013, 02:21 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Recent viewings (it's been a while since I last posted!):

Old 9th March 2013, 02:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Recent viewings (it's been a while since I last posted!):

What did you think of We are the Night and Excision?

Are they worth picking up?
Old 9th March 2013, 02:36 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
What did you think of We are the Night and Excision?

Are they worth picking up?
We Are the Night was tamer than I thought, plus less erotic than it has been promoted as (although the latter point is not necessarily a good or a bad thing - depends on what you're expecting really). I was expecting a formulaic glossy vampire film with a sprinkle of CGI, but what I actually got was something better... it has some nice developments within the story-line, that strayed away slightly from the predictable path that I presumed it would follow. I'd certainly give it a chance, although would recommend either a rental or a cheap buy.

Excision was interesting. The trailer makes it out to be a bit more ott and crammed with gore than it actually is. It has its surreal moments, but for the most part is more of a character study. It's far from boring, and AnnaLynne McCord does a great job as Pauline in the central role. The ending is pretty ****ed up, too. Whilst I did enjoy this, I'm glad I decided to rent it than blind-buy; mainly because I can't see myself wanting to revisit it for a while...and by then, the DVD/BD will be dirt cheap
Old 9th March 2013, 02:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

This afternoon I watched Michael Biehn in The Victim (blu). Great little film, I had more to say about it over in my Diary thread following its appearance at Fright Fest.

I watched Final Destination 5. I saw this originally in the cinema and still think it is a perfectly serviceable entry in the franchise that neatly brings the series full circle (and the blu-ray steel book can be had for a fiver from HMV not to big an investment).

And finally for today Bad Meat (German Blu). I like this, you can read more on my Diary thread where I reviewed it following the showing at Fright Fest Halloween Bristol in 2011.

Last edited by SShaw; 9th March 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 9th March 2013, 03:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Excision was interesting. The trailer makes it out to be a bit more ott and crammed with gore than it actually is. It has its surreal moments, but for the most part is more of a character study. It's far from boring, and AnnaLynne McCord does a great job as Pauline in the central role. The ending is pretty ****ed up, too. Whilst I did enjoy this, I'm glad I decided to rent it than blind-buy; mainly because I can't see myself wanting to revisit it for a while...and by then, the DVD/BD will be dirt cheap
Agreed. I read a Kim Newman rave review, but like you decided to rent rather than blind buy. And like you, glad I did. Perfectly watchable, but can't see me wanting to watch it again. I found the dream sequences far too MTV stylised, and took me out of the film every time they appeared. But fine as a twisted, blackly comic character study . . .
Old 9th March 2013, 04:33 PM
Cultist in Training

Amsterdamned - Church Review

Like this? Share it using the links below!