Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179678Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2013, 06:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

About to have something too eat and watch monkey shines.
Old 9th March 2013, 06:34 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

THE RUNAWAYS. Fairly bland telling of the story of The Runaways. It smelt of emptiness rather than the glue bag, teen sex scuzzfest I wanted it to be.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 9th March 2013, 09:48 PM
Cult Rookie

url.jpeg
Old 9th March 2013, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Taken 2 (2012)

When this originally landed in cinema's the press gave it a proper hammering, which made me think it might be a right load of derivative rubbish. Now the furore has long since died down i was able to watch it with an open mind.

I have to say i really enjoyed it. I saw the extended harder version which adds more blood splatters and probably a lot more violence than the original cinema edit and on the whole thought it worked well.

In my opinion Taken is one of the top three action thrillers from the last decade, maybe longer, so a sequel was never going to better it nor had much chance to be its equal.

Taken 2 hit the right buttons for me, decent action, a plot that carried on from the first film so fans would easily get the references, but also stand alone enough to entice new viewers. As before Liam Neeson carries the film and is a massive screen prescence, but this time Maggie Grace as his daughter shines with a meatier role and proves a capable co-star.

The film has a few cool action set pieces, unfortunately due to the tamed down violence levels the fights don't transmit to screen anywhere near as well as in the first film but a long, frantic car chase through the streets of Istanbul nearly makes up for it.

So to sum up Taken 2 isn't a patch on the first Neeson film, but in a world where action films seem to always have superheroes as a pre-requisite, this was a nice evenings entertainment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg taken_two_ver5.jpg (76.0 KB, 6 views)
JoshuaKaitlyn likes this.
Old 9th March 2013, 10:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Paranorman - Absolutely fantastic. Superb stop motion and storytelling, but I wouldn't exactly reccomended it for kids, as it's actually really dark. Loved the score and the ending, even if it left me nearly in tears. Highly recommended.

Hotel Transylvania - At first I was very doubtful about where it was going, as it was almost just a cringefest, but it picked itself up and became quite a good movie. Some of the jokes were pretty good, my favourite being a joke a guy trying to eat the main character at a Slipknot concert. But as usual with these types of kids movies, there's that absolutely unbearable song sequence at the end, so I turned it off 10 minutes away from the complete running time and saved myself the pain.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 9th March 2013, 11:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Ted

Knew nothing about it really, not watching much TV, haven't seen a lot of Seth Macfarlane's output. Very funny and even multi-faceted, thoroughly enjoyed it
Old 9th March 2013, 11:34 PM
Ex-member

Halloween 4
Halloween 5
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
Old 10th March 2013, 03:30 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'High Tension'. Im guessing opinions are divided on this one? I liked it, hard to say anything without giving stuff away. So I won't.
Not as good as the other Frenchy I watched recently, though - 'Inside'.

'Death Ship'. Wanted to like this more than I actually did, although it does get better as it goes on.
Some really sloppy film making in the first half hour - you can clearly see a helicopter in the distance, in one of the first shots of the Death Ship, as the survivors approach it. The shadow of the camera man and his rig is clearly seen on a hatch, as the camera approaches it - front and centre of the screen.
You clearly see the captain in the life raft before he's rescued, and you can't put a MASSIVE grey wig on any old person and expect it to look like George Kennedy!
Old 10th March 2013, 04:52 AM
Cult Acolyte

Zero Dark Thirty, or Everything you wanted to know about Al Queda in 160 minutes.

Very very good informative and impressive movie, but waaaay too long. If it had been a miniseries or split into 2 halves, I think it would have worked better, as I probably would have gotten bored if I watched it in cinemas, but on the whole it was very entertaining, considering everyone I know that saw it hated it.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 10th March 2013, 09:05 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

recent viewings, only watched leprechaun in 4 movie set
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (11.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0209.jpg (87.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0210.jpg (89.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0211.jpg (89.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0212.jpg (91.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0213.jpg (95.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg search.jpg (5.7 KB, 44 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!