Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179902Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2013, 07:40 AM
Cult Addict

Not had a lot of time to watch movies lately, it's exam season and all. But i'm off to watch Iron man 3 on Friday so i'll report on that then. Oh, and I caught snippets of the Rob Zombie Halloween last night when I was bobbing in and out of a room my mate's where watching it in. I walked in on a "jump scare" and everyone in the room shat themselves. I had no idea what all the fuss was about.

DVD and BD collection
Old 1st May 2013, 09:11 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Recent viewings over the last few weeks:

Red Lights - Cillian Murphy's as good as ever but it's so unfocussed and all over the place with a couple of fairly obvious twists. A disappointing follow-up to the far superior Buried

Elevator - a group of varied people (ie stereotypes) on their way to a Wall Street party get stuck in a lift with a ticking bomb. It's Devil-lite but captivating enough for its short duration

The Perfect Host - a bank robber on the run takes refuge in Niles from Frasier's house just before a dinner party but realises he's made the wrong choice. It's a really enjoyable low-budget thriller which throws in a few too many twists for it's own good but I really enjoyed it overall. David Hyde Pierce is excellent in the role, as a more unhinged Niles.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated
- excellent documentary on the corruption that runs through the MPAA. The investigative journalism angle uncovers some worrying secrets on how the organisation operates and their double standards and hypocrisy is thoroughly alarming. It really makes you realise how good a job the BBFC actually do. And I mean that sincerely.

The Haunting of Sorority Row/ The Deadly Pledge - watched this on Netflix thinking it was a slasher but it's more of a supernatural horror. One of those awful tame made-for-tv horrors which little to recommend it. It's one of those sorority films where all the girls are so obsessed with getting into Theta Mega Sigma Pi Delta Or Whatever that I just don't care and don't understand what's so special about that sort of thing. Utter rubbish

Wilderness Survival For Girls - another lazy lying-in-bed-on-Netflix choice. 3 girls' quest for survival is tested on a weekend away to a remote cabin in the woods when they take a potentially dangerous intruder hostage. Crap.

The Traveler - Val Kilmer plays a mysterious stranger who walks into a police station to confessed to 6 murders which haven't happened yet. It's really obvious stuff but engaging enough and Kilmer's pretty good in it

Iron Man 3 - much better than Iron Man 2. Comic book purists might get their knickers in a twist due to the portrayal of one of the characters but it's funny, smart, silly and has a nice human story at its heart.

The ABCs of Death - 26 short films relating to each letter of the alphabet. The films are of varying quality and having the title at the end of each film makes it feel like a punchline but it's definitely worth a watch. It speaks volumes about the film that even though a fair few of them were awful the 2 hours didn't drag at all

The Hitcher - one of my favourite thrillers ever. Just perfection. It wastes no time getting into the setup and once it does it doesn't relent. Rutger Haueur is incredible in the role as the sadistic antagonist.

The Hitcher II: I’ve Been Waiting - rubbish retread of the original which doesn't even attempt to look like it's bothered

Rumpelstiltskin - I saw this 90's 'horror' film years ago on Sky Movies and have always wanted to see it since to check if it was as ridiculously poor as my youthful brains initial assessment. Mark Jones' Rumpelstiltskin makes Mark Jones' Leprechaun look like Citizen Kane. It's so dumb but so 90's.

Dolls - probably need to see more Charles Band stuff to get a better handle on it but if Dolls is as good as they get I'll just give them a miss. I get the feeling that these films have the nostalgic factor going for them more than anything else although the girlfriend really liked it.
Old 1st May 2013, 05:02 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Recent viewings over the last few weeks:

Red Lights - Cillian Murphy's as good as ever but it's so unfocussed and all over the place with a couple of fairly obvious twists. A disappointing follow-up to the far superior Buried

Elevator - a group of varied people (ie stereotypes) on their way to a Wall Street party get stuck in a lift with a ticking bomb. It's Devil-lite but captivating enough for its short duration

The Perfect Host - a bank robber on the run takes refuge in Niles from Frasier's house just before a dinner party but realises he's made the wrong choice. It's a really enjoyable low-budget thriller which throws in a few too many twists for it's own good but I really enjoyed it overall. David Hyde Pierce is excellent in the role, as a more unhinged Niles.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated
- excellent documentary on the corruption that runs through the MPAA. The investigative journalism angle uncovers some worrying secrets on how the organisation operates and their double standards and hypocrisy is thoroughly alarming. It really makes you realise how good a job the BBFC actually do. And I mean that sincerely.

The Haunting of Sorority Row/ The Deadly Pledge - watched this on Netflix thinking it was a slasher but it's more of a supernatural horror. One of those awful tame made-for-tv horrors which little to recommend it. It's one of those sorority films where all the girls are so obsessed with getting into Theta Mega Sigma Pi Delta Or Whatever that I just don't care and don't understand what's so special about that sort of thing. Utter rubbish

Wilderness Survival For Girls - another lazy lying-in-bed-on-Netflix choice. 3 girls' quest for survival is tested on a weekend away to a remote cabin in the woods when they take a potentially dangerous intruder hostage. Crap.

The Traveler - Val Kilmer plays a mysterious stranger who walks into a police station to confessed to 6 murders which haven't happened yet. It's really obvious stuff but engaging enough and Kilmer's pretty good in it

Iron Man 3 - much better than Iron Man 2. Comic book purists might get their knickers in a twist due to the portrayal of one of the characters but it's funny, smart, silly and has a nice human story at its heart.

The ABCs of Death - 26 short films relating to each letter of the alphabet. The films are of varying quality and having the title at the end of each film makes it feel like a punchline but it's definitely worth a watch. It speaks volumes about the film that even though a fair few of them were awful the 2 hours didn't drag at all

The Hitcher - one of my favourite thrillers ever. Just perfection. It wastes no time getting into the setup and once it does it doesn't relent. Rutger Haueur is incredible in the role as the sadistic antagonist.

The Hitcher II: I’ve Been Waiting - rubbish retread of the original which doesn't even attempt to look like it's bothered

Rumpelstiltskin - I saw this 90's 'horror' film years ago on Sky Movies and have always wanted to see it since to check if it was as ridiculously poor as my youthful brains initial assessment. Mark Jones' Rumpelstiltskin makes Mark Jones' Leprechaun look like Citizen Kane. It's so dumb but so 90's.

Dolls - probably need to see more Charles Band stuff to get a better handle on it but if Dolls is as good as they get I'll just give them a miss. I get the feeling that these films have the nostalgic factor going for them more than anything else although the girlfriend really liked it.
I really really enjoyed Dolls when I first seen it but that was years ago, wish someone would get it out over here so I can give it another whirl. Rumpelstiltskin is a film I'd forgotten existed! Good god that's from another time. Remember quite liking it though. Iron Man 3 was great though!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 1st May 2013, 05:14 PM
Active Cultist

Watched the Cohen Films blu ray of Tristana last night (excellent package and cheap on Amazon). I'm on a real Bunuel tip at the moment and this was well up to snuff. Takes place in Toledo - familiar to all Lisa and the Devil fans and a place made for woozy psychodramas. Not much happens on the surface but underneath is seething with maggots as Catherine Deneuve and Fernando Rey lay bare their rotten souls. Sounds heavy but the director has such a lightness of touch and ready wit that the whole thing flies by. Just ordered L'age D'or and Discreet Charm... Can't wait!
troggi likes this.
Old 1st May 2013, 07:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just a curious Q?

There a new zombie series starting soon but can't remember what is it and when it start can anyone enlighten me all I remember is reading it over a month ago and that it start around 2 3 this month.
Old 1st May 2013, 07:53 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Viewed since my last "recently viewed" post:

Btw I watched the original theatrical version of Ashes of Time,not the Redux version.
Old 1st May 2013, 08:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Just a curious Q?

There a new zombie series starting soon but can't remember what is it and when it start can anyone enlighten me all I remember is reading it over a month ago and that it start around 2 3 this month.
If it's Zombieland then I've heard it's utter shite!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st May 2013, 08:15 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
If it's Zombieland then I've heard it's utter shite!
I have only heard bad things about it too. It never seemed like a good idea i love the film but it should be just that.
Old 1st May 2013, 08:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
I have only heard bad things about it too. It never seemed like a good idea i love the film but it should be just that.
Me too, I love the film, I've heard people complain about the lack of zombie action but it's one of my favourite films of the last few years, plus it stars Bill Murray so that's usually a bonus!
Nordicdusk likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st May 2013, 08:29 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Me too, I love the film, I've heard people complain about the lack of zombie action but it's one of my favourite films of the last few years, plus it stars Bill Murray so that's usually a bonus!
I have nothing to add to that sums it up perfect for me also.
Rik likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!