Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179952Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2013, 09:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
You don't have to tell us every time you've started something.

Just say what you thought at the end!
Hey if SCM wants to say he just went for a poo he can if he wants! I don't care if he tells us every action of his day it's his fingers he's wearing out and I'll defend his and anybody else's right to wear their fingers out as they please!

And that's said with my lips set in a firm line and my chin stuck out, so there. THHHRRRRUPPP!
SCM likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 18th May 2013, 09:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

THE HUNT - Thomas Vinterberg co-founded the Dogme 95 movement with fellow Dane Lars von Trier, the first film produced under this manifesto was Vinterberg's 'Festen', a darkly comedic film concerning revelations made at a patriarch's sixtieth birthday. Since then von Trier has concentrated on attempting to wind-up the entire world, while Vinterberg has matured as a film-maker, as a result the former got booted from Cannes for an extremely unfunny joke and the latter directed Jagten, which is a masterpiece.

Jagten, or The Hunt, tells the story of a mild-mannered Kindergarten teacher called Lucas, who is perhaps struggling just a touch. He's going through a bitter custody battle and is only working at the Kindergarten as a result of losing his job as a teacher, he spends his spare time rattling around his home and hunting with a group of friends. He gets on well with the kids at his school, especially Klara, who is the daughter of his closest friend, Theo. After being shown a picture of male genitalia by her brother as a 'joke', Klara's over-active imagination concocts a story which she then passes on to the head of her Kindergarten. Being too young to understand the implications of her lie, she tells the head that Lucas has shown her his genitalia. This lie spreads through the village like a virus and leads to rampant hysteria, which of course has consequences.

The Hunt isn't an easy watch, I went through a whole raft of emotions while watching it, the main one being anger. This is predominantly down to Mads Mikkelsen 's superb performance, he really is excellent. There's a scene in a church where he doesn't really say a lot, but his facial expressions tell you everything you need to know. In fact, the film is full of brilliant performances. Thomas Bo Larsen is outstanding as the confused Theo and the little girl playing his daughter is equally as good.

As I said, it's not an easy film to watch, I actually felt depressed afterwards, but it's thoroughly recommended, probably my second favourite film of last year after Amour. This was my second viewing and I liked it even more this time.

POSSESSION - Żuławski wrote and directed this 1981 film while going through a bitter divorce, he decided to throw it all on screen. The result is one of the most uncomfortable films ever committed to celluloid, that's before you get to the "horror" part. Mark (Sam Neill in probably his best performance) returns home from some sort of covert operation to find that his wife Anna (Isabelle Adjani) wants a divorce. Despite her denials he suspects an affair and gradually finds some semblance of the truth. After trying to change his wife's mind he eventually decides to move out, he returns one day to find their son neglected while his wife is out entertaining god knows what, as a result he moves back in. Obviously this doesn't go down to well with Anna. What follows are some of the bitterest, most over the top scenes I've ever witnessed. The arguments these two have are so tension filled I wanted to hide behind a pillow. Neill and Adjani just throw themselves into their respective roles. Emotional violence is soon followed by physical violence, both aimed at each other and self inflicted. It's very tough to watch, absolutely horrible. Then it turns into a horror film.

You can't really go into it any further without spoiling it and Possession is a film you need to go into relatively cold. It starts out completely mental and only gets crazier from there. There's so much going on that it's difficult to pinpoint the actual point the film is trying to make. Obviously the effects of divorce are there, especially on children. At one point Doppelgangers get involved, which maybe are manifestations of idealised partners, maybe not. I watched the film again as soon as it finished, this time with the directors commentary, he didn't really expand on anything, in fact he stated that he only wanted to make a horror film, Possession is certainly that. While not completely understanding the film (and this was my third viewing) I do really like it, maybe even love it.

Possession was on the DPP's list of video nasties at one point, despite Adjani winning best actress at Cannes for her performance. It isn't overly violent, but is very unsettling and it's a difficult film to recommend, that said from a technical standpoint it's brilliant. Some of the steady-cam work rivals that of a Kubrick film and the acting is nothing short of brilliant.
Old 18th May 2013, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Duel at Diablo (1966)

A violent American western with music reminiscent of the Spaghetti genre. Really enjoyable. So many westerns are set in studio bound towns but Duel at Diablo is shot entirely in the Utah desert.

Its a classic tale of the US cavalry, transporting ammunition, together with James Garner and Sydney Poitier along for the ride, being ambushed on their travels by Apache intent on revenge for atrocities carried out.

Garner and Poitier are both on fine form but its the forbidding landscapes and exciting gun battles with a cast of what seems like hundreds which are the real star of this film. The action is a major part of the film and at times features some nice bloody violence and torture and excellent stunt work.

The film has a cool sequence during the opening credits and then at the very end. When the United Artists logo appears on screen an Apache knife tears through the back of it to create an X then the film begins. Slasher movies definitely missed a trick with that one.

Recommended to those who like their American westerns to deliver a bit of grit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duel-at-diablo-original-quad-1966--1884-p.jpg (101.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 19th May 2013, 12:01 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

What films have I watched.....

DEADHEADS: quite amusing indie zom-com with some pretty good performances and some nice shots. Had some genuinely funny moments but came across like it was trying to remake mallrats but with zombies. Worth a look, i picked it up on amazon for 46p.

GRANDMA'S BOY: one of my favourite comedies. Endlessly quotable and seeing Doris Roberts act stoned definitely needs to be seen.

JUST GO WITH: pretty funny Adam Sandler comedy if you like him, good chemistry between Sandler and Jennifer Aniston and pretty amusing support from Nicole Kidman and Nick Swardson.

TINA: WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT: Awesome music, brilliant performances from Lawrence Fishburn and Angela Bassett. Probably one of the best bio-pics on black american music of the 60s.

JUST FRIENDS: Another guilty pleasure of mine. Ryan Reynolds was fat and ugly now he's not and returns to his hometown and rekindles his relationship with best friend Jaime from highschool but there's a problem, he has spoilt singer Anna Faris with him. You guys probably wouldn't watch this but i find it pretty funny.

EMPIRE RECORDS: It's Rex Manning Day!!!!, love this film, great music, great lines and was pivotal during my teens much like Hackers and Tank Girl.

NO STRINGS ATTACHED: Natalie Portman in underwear for the majority of the film....

DJANGO UNCHAINED: So much better the second time around, still not as good as IB due to some scenes being either too long or out of place but Jamie Foxx is good, Sam Jackson is awesome, Leo DeCaprio is on form but the film is totally stolen by Christophe Waltz again.

PULP FICTION: Still Tarantino's best film.

LIGHTHOUSE: Pretty good British Slasher flick from the late 90s, good atmospheric setting, good performances and a really creepy killer.

HOT FUZZ: the more i watch this the funnier it gets, and stuff i missed first time around i've picked up on.
Old 19th May 2013, 06:30 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
What films have I watched.....

DEADHEADS: quite amusing indie zom-com with some pretty good performances and some nice shots. Had some genuinely funny moments but came across like it was trying to remake mallrats but with zombies. Worth a look, i picked it up on amazon for 46p.

GRANDMA'S BOY: one of my favourite comedies. Endlessly quotable and seeing Doris Roberts act stoned definitely needs to be seen.

JUST GO WITH: pretty funny Adam Sandler comedy if you like him, good chemistry between Sandler and Jennifer Aniston and pretty amusing support from Nicole Kidman and Nick Swardson.

TINA: WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT: Awesome music, brilliant performances from Lawrence Fishburn and Angela Bassett. Probably one of the best bio-pics on black american music of the 60s.

JUST FRIENDS: Another guilty pleasure of mine. Ryan Reynolds was fat and ugly now he's not and returns to his hometown and rekindles his relationship with best friend Jaime from highschool but there's a problem, he has spoilt singer Anna Faris with him. You guys probably wouldn't watch this but i find it pretty funny.

EMPIRE RECORDS: It's Rex Manning Day!!!!, love this film, great music, great lines and was pivotal during my teens much like Hackers and Tank Girl.

NO STRINGS ATTACHED: Natalie Portman in underwear for the majority of the film....

DJANGO UNCHAINED: So much better the second time around, still not as good as IB due to some scenes being either too long or out of place but Jamie Foxx is good, Sam Jackson is awesome, Leo DeCaprio is on form but the film is totally stolen by Christophe Waltz again.

PULP FICTION: Still Tarantino's best film.

LIGHTHOUSE: Pretty good British Slasher flick from the late 90s, good atmospheric setting, good performances and a really creepy killer.

HOT FUZZ: the more i watch this the funnier it gets, and stuff i missed first time around i've picked up on.
Some good picks there. Totally agree about DJANGO UNCHAINED. I tend to go see most tarantino films twice at the cinema, and with Django it got better the second time I saw it (even though I really enjoyed it first time around) The last film of Tarantino's that had this effect on me was Jackie Brown, but that was as much to do with being thrown by the more sedate pacing after Reservoir Dogs and Pulp fiction (neither of which I got to see at the cinema being too young)
Old 19th May 2013, 07:37 AM
Cultist

Point of Terror (1971)
Old 19th May 2013, 08:41 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched Tucker and Dale vs Evil and The Devil's Rock
Loved Tucker and Dale vs Evil, laughed throughout the whole film and thought the whole "both sides are thinking differently" (the rednecks think that the kids are killing themselves and the kids think the rednecks are psycho killers) was pulled off tremendously.
The Devil's Rock was ok, the major problem was that the audio sometimes ended up being to low so you couldn't here what the characters are saying; which ended with me having to constantly change the volume.
troggi likes this.
Old 19th May 2013, 05:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Just watched Going to Pieces, great documentary about slasher films
Old 19th May 2013, 05:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Monster Club. Would love to see this in HD and get the special treatment
from Arrow. Watching it now and really enjoying it.
Old 19th May 2013, 06:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I saw Mud at the cinema. I'm quite a fan of Jeff Nichols, but something about the trailer for this left me underwhelmed, so I caught the screening later than I normally would.

It's a very good film, but - as I somewhat anticipated - it feels like rehashed material and follows the exact path one expects from it. His previous features, Shotgun Stories and the remarkable Take Shelter, are two of my favourite American indie films of recent years, and I love Nichols' affectionate portraits of life in the more rural communities of Arkansas. Those two also star Michael Shannon who I find the most compelling screen presence, although he has a small role in Mud too.

Performance wise, it's hard to fault - McConaughey is superb, as are the two kids - but I still felt it lacked the unique edge that his previous two features had in abundance.

And after that tasteful fair, I watched the perfect, shlocky antidote: The Nest. Good, gruesome fun it is too.. one particularly grisly bit of effects work involving a cat made me double take (I always hate it when the animals get it) as I wasn't sure at first if it was an animatronic or a very distressed cat covered in grue. Anyway, the characters are the usual rag-tag bunch you expect from these films, including the young, inexperienced sheriff out of his depth. Of course it really gets good when the town's overrun by roaches, including what appeared to be a Gremlins homage in which a cafe waitress dispatches the little buggers in various ways, such as microwaving them, crushing them, or throwing them in the deep fryer. And later on we get some roach hybrids!

One of those films that makes you want to scratch all the way through it!
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.

Last edited by Delirium; 19th May 2013 at 07:33 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!