Like Tree179840Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2013, 03:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Funnily enough, I watched it on Monday evening and am exactly the same as you as I found myself mouthing along to the dialogue most of the time!
I reckon it must be one of the most quoted films ever!
troggi likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 31st July 2013, 03:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

I went on a Tarantino binge and in 1 go bought most of his films on blu - now im missing Kill Bill both volumes and Django Unchained
troggi likes this.
Old 31st July 2013, 04:04 PM
Cult Addict

Finally managed to watch Arrows blu of The Car yesterday after numerous attempts since Saturday. Good little film though not quite the cult classic I was expecting. Quite possibly a grower though. A/V quality is absolutely superb on this release.
troggi likes this.
Old 31st July 2013, 06:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I finally got round to seeing Berberian Sound Studio at the weekend and for what promised to be a sure fire favourite, kinda left me high and dry. Director Peter Strickland's debut Katalin Varga, a slow burning rural revenge film filmed around Transylvania was one of the best films of 2009, but when Berberian Sound Studio's credits rolled I was left thinking "Is that all there is ?" Not a write off though, lots of good stuff in it so I'll go back to it. But this is not the first time a recent film ended on me unexpectedly - I thought there was a half hour of story left in Killing Them Softly when the credits came up...

Old 31st July 2013, 09:39 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I finally got round to seeing Berberian Sound Studio at the weekend and for what promised to be a sure fire favourite, kinda left me high and dry. Director Peter Strickland's debut Katalin Varga, a slow burning rural revenge film filmed around Transylvania was one of the best films of 2009, but when Berberian Sound Studio's credits rolled I was left thinking "Is that all there is ?" Not a write off though, lots of good stuff in it so I'll go back to it. But this is not the first time a recent film ended on me unexpectedly - I thought there was a half hour of story left in Killing Them Softly when the credits came up...

Same with me, although i enjoyed Berberian Sound studio quite a bit i expected it to amount to more at the end, so when it finished i wanted more of a resolution. His slow mental disintegration i expected to lead to more, maybe that is why it's more of an Arthouse film, if it resolved in him going apeshit it would have been more mainstream.
Still i have a feeling it's one of those film's that will grow on me on second viewing now i know what to expect.
Having said that i really liked the title sequence of 'the equestrian vortex' very stylistically giallo, same for the dubbing woman who made gurgling insane noises which reminded me of Suspiria's crazy but brilliant soundtrack by Goblin.
Kinda made me think of Blow up, where you're expecting it to all come together , but refuses to so you're sat there thinking about it afterward's even more.
I think many of the best film's are the ones that leave you thinking about it the next few days, so for me it was a worthwhile film and preferable to a lot of modern cinema.
Old 31st July 2013, 10:08 PM
Cult Addict

Church-The.jpg
Watched this again the other night, haven't seen since original video release, really enjoyed it, more so this time.
Thought it had some really surreal images and a good creepy atmosphere.
8/10.
Recommended. Prefer this to The Sect, as good as Stagefright and Dellamorte Dellamore in my opinion. Even though it's a bit 'everything and the kitchen sink' at times, I really enjoyed it and reminded me of the good entertaining horror film's that surfaced in the eighties.
Old 31st July 2013, 10:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post

I thought Brad Pitts final lines in KILLING THEM SOFTLY were legendary.
Old 31st July 2013, 10:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Attachment 116098
Watched this again the other night, haven't seen since original video release, really enjoyed it, more so this time.
Thought it had some really surreal images and a good creepy atmosphere.
8/10.
Recommended. Prefer this to The Sect, as good as Stagefright and Dellamorte Dellamore in my opinion. Even though it's a bit 'everything and the kitchen sink' at times, I really enjoyed it and reminded me of the good entertaining horror film's that surfaced in the eighties.
Still a firm favourite of mine. I love the score to this one...

Old 31st July 2013, 10:32 PM
Cult Addict

Watched POSSESSION. As good as it ever was. Stuck a mini-review on amazon. Is it me or did some of the darker scenes look a little 'fuzzy'?
Old 31st July 2013, 10:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

And mine too, I made my mum rent it for me when it first came out on VHS in the early 90's, with this cover

She wasn't impressed
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!