Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179902Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2013, 08:27 AM
Cult Addict

I actually preferred the first Wolverine film. Not that this one was bad, but I found it awful long winded with a slow saggy stretch in the middle.
troggi likes this.
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

NIGHT OF THE DEMON - One I hadn't seen for a while. Wooden acting and dick ripping were the associations that sprung to mind before I slipped it in... both aspects are well covered, but I'd forgotten the oppressive, murky quality this film has once the ketchup has flown, particularly after the mute girl and her painful back story are brought in. And the slo-mo climax is somehow powerful and claustrophobic... despite falling victim to the usual pitfalls affecting low budget genre product of its era, it remains weirdly disturbing.

ZODIAC - Excellent on every level, this is really absorbing and immersive stuff and just an exemplar of really supple filmmaking. What starts out in horror / thriller territory ends as an exploration of personal obsession, desperation and failure. The film never jettisons its grimy, depressing tone and the fact that it fully commands the attention for the entirety of its 2 1/2 hour span is a real testament to Fincher, whose films I'm not always that big on but yeah, here he really nails it. Really very haunting.

A HORRIBLE WAY TO DIE - Whilst it didn't quite grab me the way I thought it might, this is a really interesting take on the serial killer trope, a very atmospheric slow burn that teeters on and around a kind woozy, numb psychedelia (not in an overt sense, I just mean it has a strange, spaced out vibe, I guess 'hazy' is the word). The carefully sustained tone is almost blown by the ending, but it remains a satisfying contribution from young hotshot Wingard and a million miles removed from the zany splat-stick of his debut 'Home Sick'. Should be watched.

RED RIDING HOOD - Strange Italian horror that seems to splice surrealism, B movie gestures and almost an indie-arthouse feel. Too bad it doesn't quite work, but it's diverting and occasionally mind boggling in its depiction of a 12 year old moral enforcer / serial killer and her cardboard-faced wolf-monster companion. Should've really gone for it and been totally bollocks out mega-weird, as it frequently makes overtures in this direction but tends to hang back at the last minute. As it stands, it's an enjoyable, adequately odd ride with a bit of gore along the way.

THE ABCS OF DEATH - Not everything about this ambitious effort works, but then who could expect as much? 26 five minute short films are never going to settle their aesthetic differences and guarantee a smooth, consistent glide without moments of jarring tension, but maybe that in itself should be celebrated. Individually, the good far outweighs the bad, and the 'good' in the case includes some moments which made me consider ringing the BBFC to ask "erm... this was actually submitted, wasn't it?". Perhaps I'm getting dead square these days, but a couple of these shorts contained instances which left me thinking "my my". As well as the transgressions of 'Libido' and 'Young Buck', there are several examples of hilarious bizarreness (all the Japanese entries). The directors of 'Amer' offer some tranced out designer softcore S&M (with a load of bubbles?). So, when it peaks with the aforementioned entries, this is pretty hard hitting stuff and yes, it should be watched and remembered.
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:19 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
RED RIDING HOOD - Strange Italian horror that seems to splice surrealism, B movie gestures and almost an indie-arthouse feel. Too bad it doesn't quite work, but it's diverting and occasionally mind boggling in its depiction of a 12 year old moral enforcer / serial killer and her cardboard-faced wolf-monster companion. Should've really gone for it and been totally bollocks out mega-weird, as it frequently makes overtures in this direction but tends to hang back at the last minute. As it stands, it's an enjoyable, adequately odd ride with a bit of gore along the way.
I saw this recently as well. Its in the Mill Creek Bloodbath set along with some fantastic British Fiona Horsey films which are well worth checking out.

Thought it had a great use of Rome locations and the subway parts veered towards American Werewolf levels. A nice suitably bloody, twisty climax as well.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

My festival continued with:

The Dead Experiment Interesting sci-fi offers a credible take on reanimation.

Metro Manila Powerful drama as a farmer seeks a new life for his family in Manila with devastating consequences - my favourite film of the festival thus far.

Four films tonight including Q&A's with Troma's Lloyd Kaufman and Zoe Bell and the latest instalment of the Chucky franchise.
Old 2nd August 2013, 01:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
NIGHT OF THE DEMON

ZODIAC

A HORRIBLE WAY TO DIE

RED RIDING HOOD

THE ABCS OF DEATH
Note to self Keep an eye out for "Red Riding Hood". Thank you very much once again for some great reviews, Mr Teardrop (btw y' might want t' get them there eyes looked at they've been running a lot).
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 2nd August 2013, 02:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I actually preferred the first Wolverine film. Not that this one was bad, but I found it awful long winded with a slow saggy stretch in the middle.
I saw The Wolverine at the cinema this morning and I completely agree with your thoughts.
Old 2nd August 2013, 02:51 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I saw The Wolverine at the cinema this morning and I completely agree with your thoughts.
I saw it the other day and while I personally disagree over Origins being a better film, The Wolverine I felt was solid albeit oddly workmanlike when it could have stretched some of it's narrative ideas into perhaps a more ambitious mold although I appreciated it's character-based plot focus. It was sort of my definition of a 6/10 movie.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 2nd August 2013, 02:55 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
I saw it the other day and while I personally disagree over Origins being a better film, The Wolverine I felt was solid albeit oddly workmanlike when it could have stretched some of it's narrative ideas into perhaps a more ambitious mold although I appreciated it's character-based plot focus. It was sort of my definition of a 6/10 movie.
I'm not sure about whether The Wolverine is better than Origins, but they're both pretty average films.
Old 2nd August 2013, 06:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Knightriders

Finally got around to watching this, I'll be honest was not expecting to like it, I didn't like it, i loved. it didn't outstay its welcome at 147 mins. Probably one of romeros best, shall be watching again soon 9.5/10

Burn notice

Just got first two season today and just watched the pilot really enjoyed it will probably get the rest. 8/10
Rik and troggi like this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 2nd August 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 2nd August 2013, 08:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
I simply enjoyed Origins more. I'm not necessarily saying one's the better film.
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!