All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:50 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I simply enjoyed Origins more. I'm not necessarily saying one's the better film.
Hey, no harm done man. You like what you like.
J Harker and troggi like this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:52 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Knightriders

Finally got around to watching this, I'll be honest was not expecting to like it, I didn't like it, i loved. it didn't outstay its welcome at 147 mins. Probably one of romeros best, shall be watching again soon 9.5/10

Burn notice

Just got first two season today and just watched the pilot really enjoyed it will probably get the rest. 8/10
Glad you enjoyed Knightriders, I myself found it good enough to easily place it in my Top 100 somewhere. In fact I actually find it a more satisfying film than his Dead films.
troggi likes this.

Old 2nd August 2013, 10:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I saw this recently as well. Its in the Mill Creek Bloodbath set along with some fantastic British Fiona Horsey films which are well worth checking out.

Thought it had a great use of Rome locations and the subway parts veered towards American Werewolf levels. A nice suitably bloody, twisty climax as well.
Actually Dem I think I took a subconscious cue from yr review and decided to move on a cheapish copy I saw on ebay... been getting quite a few tips from your writings on this thread over the last few months, so thanks.

I didn't get the compilation you mention, though. Were those Horsey flicks by Wolfgang Buld? ie 'Penetration Angst' etc.? They're pretty wild aren't they, lo-fi twistedness that doesn't really hold together but makes you glad for slightly warped indie cinema. That guy should make more movies, as should that gal.
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Actually Dem I think I took a subconscious cue from yr review and decided to move on a cheapish copy I saw on ebay... been getting quite a few tips from your writings on this thread over the last few months, so thanks.

I didn't get the compilation you mention, though. Were those Horsey flicks by Wolfgang Buld? ie 'Penetration Angst' etc.? They're pretty wild aren't they, lo-fi twistedness that doesn't really hold together but makes you glad for slightly warped indie cinema. That guy should make more movies, as should that gal.
Thanks Frankie.

Yes, Penetration Angst, The Chambermaid and The Twisted Sisters are the three in the box set.

I meant to review them but each one started off fairly straightforward and then veered off in every direction possible. Taking in almost every horror scenario posssible. All three were low budget, but the ideas involved were so expansive.

If someone were to come on here and say i knew exactly what would happen in The Chambermaid for example, and how it would end, then i'd say they were lying or worked on the film.

I'll be rewatching them soon i think.
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Thanks Frankie.

Yes, Penetration Angst, The Chambermaid and The Twisted Sisters are the three in the box set.

I meant to review them but each one started off fairly straightforward and then veered off in every direction possible. Taking in almost every horror scenario posssible. All three were low budget, but the ideas involved were so expansive.

If someone were to come on here and say i knew exactly what would happen in The Chambermaid for example, and how it would end, then i'd say they were lying or worked on the film.

I'll be rewatching them soon i think.
I haven't seen 'The Chambermaid', so I'm tempted to look into it.
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I haven't seen 'The Chambermaid', so I'm tempted to look into it.
Seeing as you like low budget as well, i would recommend the Blood Bath set.

There were two poor films i won't revisit but the rest all had their merits and four or five were excellent.

All Your Music have it at £2.78 plus the usual postage on Amazon.co.uk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81BxEDx2NsL._SL1077_.jpg (101.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Seeing as you like low budget as well, i would recommend the Blood Bath set.

There were two poor films i won't revisit but the rest all had their merits and four or five were excellent.

All Your Music have it at £2.78 plus the usual postage on Amazon.co.uk.
I believe RED RIDING HOOD is an OVIDIO G ASSONITIS production, he of BEYOND THE DOOR, MADHOUSE, AMOK TRAIN and THE VISITOR 'fame' to name but a few on his back catalogue?!

Hope so... just bought the set at that price!
Old 3rd August 2013, 09:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Only God Forgives

Those expecting Drive 2 will be disappointed, because Nicolas Winding Refn's languid latest is the spiritual successor of his divisive, Herzog channeling Valhalla Rising. An hallucinatory cocktail of violence and karaoke, with Gosling barely muttering 20 lines throughout, wrapped up in a good old fashioned revenge plot - it's so arthouse that Time Out labelled it "pretentious" (a moment of jaw-dropping pot-calling-kettle-black journalism if ever there was), but unlike them I loved it.

Refn works once again with British cinematographer Larry Smith (Bronson) and every frame of this movie is a visual delight - it's certainly Ryfn's best looking film yet. Like Gaspar Noe's Enter the Void - another film this shares common ground with - Refn's Thailand is a purgatory of neon lit grubby sidestreets and clubs. Cliff Martinez once again provides the score; an unsettling wave of delicate, eastern tinged pop, punctuated by heavy synth and vertiginous drone/doom.

Gosling can play the virtually silent anti-hero in his sleep, but it's an almost unrecognisable Kristin Scott Thomas who stands out here, sure to go down as one of the most reprehensible onscreen mothers of all time. And there's an utterly chilling performance from Thai actor Vithaya Pansringarm.

This is some of the most suffocating and stifling cinema I've seen in a while, and for that I applaud it. Refn ends with a dedication to Jodorowsky, an apt dedication as the final scenes of atonement long resonate after the credits roll.
Old 3rd August 2013, 09:44 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Despite some quite horrendous reviews, I loved 'Only God Forgives' probably my second favourite film of the year after 'Stoker'. Only God Forgives is a film that lingers on the mind long after the credits have rolled, I've seen it twice already and I'll be picking up the Bluray on release day.

It's a completely different film to 'Drive' which may explain some of the backlash, but Julian and Driver share a lot of characteristics, and the films share a few metaphysical aspects.

Kristin Scott Thomas is fantastic, an unrecognisable performance and quite a brave one.

Just a great film.
Invid Ninja and troggi like this.
Old 3rd August 2013, 10:05 AM
Active Cultist

I'm glad I'm not the only one who actually enjoyed Only God Forgives, all of my other friends who are into film absolutely loathed it. While I don't think the film for me was quite as good as either Bronson or Drive which are some of the only modern films in my general top 100 list, OGF I still found to be one hell of an entertaining and warped 'trip' movie. Considering it's tributes I'd describe the film as a mashup of Santa Sangre, Irreversible and Kickboxer. Totally agree with the above reactions from you guys.
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!