Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179665Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th November 2013, 05:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
Is this the one with Balboa and Creed rolling around in the surf together or is that III?
Not seen III yet. II features Balboa vs, Creed again, [spoiler]Wedding to Adrian, Adrian pregnant, Adrian Coma, son born.[/spoiler]
Old 13th November 2013, 06:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Final Encounter (2000)

Two human colonies on a distant planet are locked in a brutal hundred year war until a brave group of soldier cadets decide its time to end the fighting by going on one final push.

To me films such as Final Encounter are far worse than any low budget horror tat. The film clearly had a bit of money behind it. The films effects and action sequences are well done, in fact some of the CGI work is excellent and far more convincing than films with lots more money thrown at them. The producers also managed to get a couple of direct to video stars in Dean Cain and Thomas Ian Griffith.

This is all well and good but they should have hired a decent screen writer instead. Final Encounter despite its full on action is extremely boring. All the actors are wasted by poor characterization with a story line so tedious and linear it barely kept me awake. There's really nothing more to add - great effects, dire story.
This pisses me off a lot about films and games (his should probably go in the 'Bananas' thread). These producers etc. seen to think that great SFX or graphics automatically make a great film/game. I find the opposite is mostly true. That's why I love C64 games. They have great gameplay with very limited graphics. Same goes for GTA 1, London & 2. Piss-poor graphics, excellent gameplay.
troggi likes this.
Old 13th November 2013, 06:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
This pisses me off a lot about films and games (his should probably go in the 'Bananas' thread). These producers etc. seen to think that great SFX or graphics automatically make a great film/game. I find the opposite is mostly true. That's why I love C64 games. They have great gameplay with very limited graphics. Same goes for GTA 1, London & 2.
Apparently Final Encounter was based on a War Hammer game.
ArgentoFan1987 and troggi like this.
Old 13th November 2013, 08:21 PM
Cult Addict

Watched this earlier, not as good as it thinks it is but worth a punt if, like me you fancy a little bit of necro-dwarf sex every now and then.

Old 13th November 2013, 09:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Chained

This really surprised me, really enjoyed it, very disturbing in places and the relationship between the two leads is disturbing and at at times tender and loving in a twisted way.Not going to say much more incase people haven't seen it but it's well worth a watch. A excellent little twist on the usual psychopath killer, movies. 8.5/10
troggi likes this.
Old 13th November 2013, 09:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Watched this earlier, not as good as it thinks it is but worth a punt if, like me you fancy a little bit of necro-dwarf sex every now and then.

I agree. I liked it, but thought it could've gone further with some of its wannabe transgressions. That might be a trite criticism of a film which is clearly aimed at an aboveground audience, but if filmmakers are going to get into that stuff, maybe they need to lay the goods out on the table. Reminded me of a similar good film, American Mary, in this respect.
Old 13th November 2013, 09:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I agree. I liked it, but thought it could've gone further with some of its wannabe transgressions. That might be a trite criticism of a film which is clearly aimed at an aboveground audience, but if filmmakers are going to get into that stuff, maybe they need to lay the goods out on the table. Reminded me of a similar good film, American Mary, in this respect.
Yeah, it has the feel of indie film festival wannabe winner all over it. I actually thought the most interesting bits were the scenes between the sisters, there was a geeky charm to them. You are right, the transgressive stuff should have been ramped up and perhaps less pop video looking. Still, all in all, worth a look.
Old 13th November 2013, 09:57 PM
Cult Addict

Just finished watching The Wolfman (2010). Loved it. It took me right back to being a kid watching the old Horror double-bills in bbc2 at the weekend. Does anyone else think that Del Toro bares a passing resemblance to the late great Olly Reed? In a few scenes I thought I was watching Legend of the Werewolf.
Old 13th November 2013, 09:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Yeah, it has the feel of indie film festival wannabe winner all over it. I actually thought the most interesting bits were the scenes between the sisters, there was a geeky charm to them. You are right, the transgressive stuff should have been ramped up and perhaps less pop video looking. Still, all in all, worth a look.
It worked because of the central character - a horrible, greasy haired, tormented outsider who was, crucially, non-male. That was interesting, as were the family dynamics you mentioned. But the gore (which these days I can take or leave anyway) looked tacked on, and the darker areas ie unabashed use of cold, instrumental sexuality, were not explored. Was it a bit similar to 'May' in some ways? That was a good one, I seem to recall.
Old 13th November 2013, 10:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
It worked because of the central character - a horrible, greasy haired, tormented outsider who was, crucially, non-male. That was interesting, as were the family dynamics you mentioned. But the gore (which these days I can take or leave anyway) looked tacked on, and the darker areas ie unabashed use of cold, instrumental sexuality, were not explored. Was it a bit similar to 'May' in some ways? That was a good one, I seem to recall.
I've not see "May" or the previously mentioned "American Mary". I will check them out. Any other films with M starting girls names I should watch?

Like this? Share it using the links below!