Like Tree179686Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2013, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Leave my boy alone, he's a warrior having just passed his first official belt at Ju Jitsu and at six years old will kick your arse!
Either that or draw squiggles on me.
troggi likes this.
Old 25th November 2013, 09:58 PM
Cult Addict

THE WORLD'S END. Disappointing third outing from Pegg, Frost and Wright which is basically "Invasion of the Body Snatcher" on a martial arts pub crawl with some old guff about growing up and individuality grafted on. Weak.
troggi and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 25th November 2013, 10:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Either that or draw squiggles on me.
In blood...I've been teaching him recently how to knife fight!
troggi likes this.
Old 25th November 2013, 11:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anythinggoes78 View Post
Night of the Bloody Apes - Well i started to watch when it dawned on me things were missing, i only went and got the cut 2000Film version, so will need to get a different version Uncut.

Cannibal Terror - Awful film but sort of secretly enjoyed it because it was so bad.
I always try to get into 'Night of the Bloody Apes', but I never, ever can. At all. It's as though I've been banished from this level of filmmaking, somehow - namely, from something bad, flat and incompetent as opposed to the juicily mad incompetence of something like 'A Night to Dismember', for example, or a myriad others too embarrassing to name. But still, I feel it's better to check out the uncut versions of these things, although a few extra seconds of stock footage open heart surgery wouldn't float my boat, personally.

As for 'Cannibal Terror', I was going to say something about it but then realised I was thinking of the Jess Franco cannibal flick (known simply as 'Cannibals', maybe?) which was on the same label and made under similar circumstances and which is probably similarly awful but, like Jess's films even at their lamest, rocks a really weird psychedelic atmosphere in places.
Old 26th November 2013, 08:52 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Watched KICK ASS with the boy MTDS and the girl MTDS who have a combined age of 15, which just happens to be the films cert...so that's okay. Both loved it. However I'd forgotten about all the masturbation at the beginning so had to fast forward rapidly whilst talking loudly about the killings to come in the film! I'm so proud that my kids love violence in films. Just tucked them into bed with them requesting to now be called Kick Ass and Hit Girl.
That's a great view of age rating appropriateness!

brb, off to watch Cannibal Holocaust with three 6 year olds...
Old 26th November 2013, 10:16 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
THE WORLD'S END. Disappointing third outing from Pegg, Frost and Wright which is basically "Invasion of the Body Snatcher" on a martial arts pub crawl with some old guff about growing up and individuality grafted on. Weak.
I've seen many similar reactions and I can't fathom it.. I loved TWE. Actually I enjoyed it as much as Shaun regards first time viewing. Whether it stands the test of time as Shaun has remains to be seen, but I found it both heartfelt and hilarious.
Old 26th November 2013, 10:32 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
I've seen many similar reactions and I can't fathom it.. I loved TWE. Actually I enjoyed it as much as Shaun regards first time viewing. Whether it stands the test of time as Shaun has remains to be seen, but I found it both heartfelt and hilarious.
I really didn't like "Hot Fuzz" on first viewing but after multiple watches via ITV 2, 3 and 4, I now love it! So my view on TWE, TV schedules pending may change at a future date.
troggi likes this.
Old 26th November 2013, 11:04 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Edgar Wrights films are so densely packed with jokes/references and symbolism that it can take a couple of viewings to fully love them. I thought Hot Fuzz was ok but after a few viewings it's my favourite of his. I really liked TWE when I saw it and am really looking forward to watching it on bluray.
Old 26th November 2013, 11:26 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I really didn't like "Hot Fuzz" on first viewing but after multiple watches via ITV 2, 3 and 4, I now love it! So my view on TWE, TV schedules pending may change at a future date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
The World's End is the most consistently funny film I've seen at the cinema this year and look forward to watching it on BD to see if it stands up to repeated viewings, as Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz have. I knew very little about TWE when I went to the cinema and the bathroom fight caught me completely offguard, but the film is so full of jokes and references that it will have a great deal of longevity.

Like you, MTDS, I wasn't overly enamoured with Hot Fuzz when I saw it at the cinema but when I watched it on DVD (something I did repeatedly, and with the commentary), I noticed things I missed the cinema and absolutely love it now. It's been far too long since I last watched it so, when I buy The World's End, will watch the three films back-to-back one evening for one Cornetto triple bill.
Old 26th November 2013, 01:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
I must re-watch Hot Fuzz as I certainly liked it, but it didn't have the immediacy of Shaun or TWE for me, both of which had me in stitches - I've no doubt a repeat viewing will reveal more jokes I missed (or forgot) from the first time. I actually bought the blus of Shaun and Hot Fuzz from a member here ages ago, but haven't got round to watching them yet. I'll certainly be buying TWE once it hits a reasonable price.

I think TWE had me as I was able to empathise with the characters more, so I found it a shame reading reviews in which they found Pegg's character unlikable. I thought it captured the general malaise of getting older while still clinging onto the dregs of youth (and often making a prat of yourself in the process) perfectly. And they played my favourite Sisters of Mercy track on the end credits, which was just icing on the cake.
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!