Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179652Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2013, 07:55 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

10546_front.jpg

I have loved this film since i was a kid and seeing it for the first time on Blu Ray is fills me with a child like joy that i experienced the very first time i watched Tron on tv so many years ago. The Blu Ray is stunning everything pops out of the screen at you both in the real world and on the Grid. The first time they show the neon sign at Flynns arcade it was goosebump time
Old 3rd December 2013, 07:56 PM
Cult Addict

Communion is a great little film.
Regarding Frankenstein i prefer Dracula for the visuals alone. I feel that De Niro is totally miscast in this, but i agree it's one of the closest versions to the novel.
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Communion is a great little film.
Regarding Frankenstein i prefer Dracula for the visuals alone. I feel that De Niro is totally miscast in this, but i agree it's one of the closest versions to the novel.
De Niro was the only real downside, as you said totally miscast, Dracula still good but prefer Frankenstein and the wolfman, I found the wolfman to be the best of the remakes I don't know why, I just really like it, even though it got savaged by the critics.

Watching necromentia but don't think I will enjoy it, might just put Alice on
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:06 PM
Cult Addict

I quite enjoyed the Wolfman as well, i think it was savaged because it was a throwback to the old films when we've been spoilt by Man into wolf transformations, (ie American werewolf etc and even dare i say it Harry Potter).
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well watching Alice sweet Alice, the picture quality is poo, like one of those 50movies boxset and it's one of those films where it's a small rectangle in the centre of the screen, but think I will enjoy it, and if Ive do got 88films version on preorder which will definitely be a huge improvement
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:12 PM
Cult Addict

If you can stick with it i think you will enjoy it.
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I watched Old Boy for the first time in a couple of years this evening.While the film has lost some of its visceral impact it remains an extraordinary feat.

Fortunately I missed the U.K. premiere of this at the Edinburgh International Film Festival. Fortunately because the director actually turned up late for the festival and so the best of the fest showing that I attended was the only screening in his presence. In the post film Q&A one audience member asked "Why did you make such an angry film?" and the answer "Because only by understanding one another's anger can be truly become friends" has stayed with me ever since.

If you haven't see Oldboy yet I urge you to see the original. Spike Lee's remake opens in Germany on Thursday, but at the moment I have no plans to go and see it because its being shown in the dubbed version
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Monk (2011)

Vincent Cassel plays Brother Ambrosio, a renowned monk whose sermons win him many admirers. However the arrival of a mysterious masked stranger turns his life upside down and tantalizes him with temptations that place his entire soul in jeopardy as demonic forces threaten to tear him out of reality and into his own fiery hell.

The Monk was an enjoyable watch but very slow. Having said that the languid pacing gave the characters time to breathe and allowed the viewer to enjoy the lush cinematography. The burning desert outside a stark contrast to the Gothic grandeur of the monastery.

Cassel, as tends to be the norm is superb, playing the part beautifully. The film isn't really a horror as such even though it uses the subjects of faith, desire, rape and also drug metaphors such as the giant centipede in the garden (of Eden?) in a haunting fashion.

A film thick with atmosphere,The Monk in no way is an easy piece of entertainment but i would think it a film to tempt several people on here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-monk-(2011)-large-cover.jpg (95.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

You know, I was all set to go see the remake. Then recently the more I thought about it, the less interested I became. Why not revisit the original movie ? I'm glad I did. Such an awesome film and who ever can forget the first time they watched the end scene? Classic shock moment.
Watching the making of feature on the disc, with the cast interviews just made it a great experience.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:59 PM
Cult Addict

Alan Partridge Alpha Papa.
Bloody hell I was fast asleep within twenty minutes.
anythinggoes78 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!