All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2014, 08:52 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
REPO MAN. I've not seen this for over twenty years and was surprised how well it still stands up, in fact it seems fresher and more contemporary than when it was originally released.
I agree. Alex Cox's early films still stand up really well. It's a shame that since Walker he has been largely relegated to making zero budget or micro-budget films. I was excited to learn he is making an adaptation of Bill the Galactic Hero, but less so once I understood it was part of a kick-starter backed, film school project. Still I am sure that whatever the film lacks in budget and polish it will more than make up with ideas and vision.

Last edited by SShaw; 22nd June 2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 22nd June 2014, 05:37 PM
Active Cultist

Another one ticked off the been desperate to see for years list - Sorcerer by William Friedkin. Was it worth the wait? Damn right! A bold start with disparate globe trotting stories probably alienated a lot of viewers looking for bubblegum thrills - more fool them because half an hour in we're cooking with gas. This could be seen as WFs Herzog movie, with its incredible locations and realistic approach to action scenes. The sense of futility and doom is palpable too, the little devils that pop up cluing us in this is a trip straight to hell. Amazing stuff, amazing blu ray picture - a must get.
Old 22nd June 2014, 06:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

^ Is this blu ray region free ? Thanks.
Old 22nd June 2014, 06:29 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
^ Is this blu ray region free ? Thanks.
I have the American digibook, which is Region All.
Old 22nd June 2014, 06:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Excellent !! Thanks for that.
Old 22nd June 2014, 10:23 PM
Cult Addict

So the missus bought me I, Frankenstein the other day which I managed to watch last night.
Aaron Eckhart is Frankenstein's Monster who two centuries after his creation is still roaming the earth seeking his purpose when he gets caught up in a war between Demons and some sort of Gargoyle/Angel type beings. It's short and snappy and I really enjoyed it but then I do like these Underworld type films.

Tonight I snuck off upstairs for a bit and watched The Bronx Warriors.
I've had the Shameless tin since it first came out but I've only just got around to the first one.
It has many of the typical traits of Italian action movies generic scenes of people being mowed down with gunfire or blasted with flamethrowers repeated over and over to pad things out and some of the acting is so erratic as to be absurd.
That said it was still a great film with some fun fight sequences and cool if cheesy dialogue. Pity the guy playing Trash looks like something's rammed up his arse for the duration. But Fred Williamson is ace and the leather clad blond with the whip actually taking baddies out right left and centre...that was...erm, entertaining?
Old 22nd June 2014, 10:27 PM
Cult Addict

Frankenstein and the monster from hell.

Franknstein-And-The-Monster-From-Hell-Blu-ray.jpg

Won this in the Cult labs comp with the lobby cards.
Arrived quickly and didn't take long till i gave it a watch, had only seen this once before years ago, this was one of the only Hammer Frankensteins that didn't seem to turn up regularly on TV when i was little. Which is why i wasn't very familiar with it.
I must say i really enjoyed it, loved the lunatic asylum setting and Peter Cushing is always great to watch, as is Madeline Smith.
Shane Briant doesn't do too badly either and makes a good sidekick to the baron, coming across very much like a younger version of the mad doctor.
Cushing seems quite likeable in most of the film even if the creature he is working on is a total monstrosity, right up to the point where he suddenly decides he wants to mate his creation with Miss Smith, then he sort of loses our sympathy.
Dave Prowse's creature is an imposing figure yet also comes across as intelligent and aware of his plight which i found interesting.
The other inmates were really interesting too when the Baron takes us on a tour of the asylum.
Patrick Troughton pops up in a small role too.
The picture on the Blu is really good, and it's nice to finally see the whole gory story.
The Documentary 'Taking over the asylum' was pretty good i thought, the other one on Terence Fisher was ok but it would have been better with more evaluation of his other Hammer films and a much longer running time.
All in all a great package.
Recommended 9/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 22nd June 2014, 11:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Frankenstein and the monster from hell.

Attachment 138031

Won this in the Cult labs comp with the lobby cards.
Arrived quickly and didn't take long till i gave it a watch, had only seen this once before years ago, this was one of the only Hammer Frankensteins that didn't seem to turn up regularly on TV when i was little. Which is why i wasn't very familiar with it.
I must say i really enjoyed it, loved the lunatic asylum setting and Peter Cushing is always great to watch, as is Madeline Smith.
Shane Briant doesn't do too badly either and makes a good sidekick to the baron, coming across very much like a younger version of the mad doctor.
Cushing seems quite likeable in most of the film even if the creature he is working on is a total monstrosity, right up to the point where he suddenly decides he wants to mate his creation with Miss Smith, then he sort of loses our sympathy.
Dave Prowse's creature is an imposing figure yet also comes across as intelligent and aware of his plight which i found interesting.
The other inmates were really interesting too when the Baron takes us on a tour of the asylum.
Patrick Troughton pops up in a small role too.
The picture on the Blu is really good, and it's nice to finally see the whole gory story.
The Documentary 'Taking over the asylum' was pretty good i thought, the other one on Terence Fisher was ok but it would have been better with more evaluation of his other Hammer films and a much longer running time.
All in all a great package.
Recommended 9/10
Does this still have the mastering fault or has that been corrected now. Holding off on getting it!
Old 22nd June 2014, 11:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1955 (part 2)

Pather Panchali - Satyajit Ray's first film and the first in a trilogy. Although deemed a classic and I can see why it really wasn't for me.

Tarzan's Hidden Jungle - Gordon Scott's first outing as the jungle lord also stars Jack Elam and Vera Miles, pretty much the usual standard fare.

The Ladykillers - Classic British 50's comedy, Guinness flashing his teeth had me laughing.

This Island Earth - 50's Sci-Fi with aliens and monsters, great stuff. i prefered this over the earlier 'Invaders From Mars'.

Doctor at Sea - The Sequel to 1954's 'Doctor in the House' again with Dirk Bogarde and James Robertson Justice, (Justice playing another character), it also stars a very young and very pretty Brigitte Bardot.

The Seven Year Itch - Classic Monroe movie complete with skirt flying about her legs as the subway travels beneath the grating shes stood on.
Old 22nd June 2014, 11:08 PM
Cult Addict

I didn't notice anything wrong with the copy i got.
JoshuaKaitlyn likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!