Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2014, 08:02 PM
Cult Addict

22 jump street.

Like the first film, a far, far better film than it has a right to be. Genuinely funny and self consciously stupid in the best way possible. I'm still reeling at the revelation Channing tatum has quite a gift for comedy with great timing. Outside the A-team the best crack anyones had of updating classic 80s TV.
Old 9th June 2014, 08:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

A bank holiday visit to see Boyhood the latest film from Richard Linklater. Filmed over 12 years with the same cast this is an interesting attempt to follow the life of a young boy from age 5 until he leaves home for college at age 18.

The style, structure and themes of the film have a lot in common with Before Sunrise, Before Sunset and Before Midnight, so if you liked those films (as I did) this will be a treat. I think the achievement of managing to get the film made at all over such an extended period of time is extraordinary.

However, the film is perhaps 30 minutes too long (it comes in at a bladder testing 165 minutes), I guess after 12 years in the making it might be difficult to give up some of the footage.

I wonder if we will see a Manhood in 2025?
Old 9th June 2014, 09:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A clockwork orange

All I can say is WOW. Just a amazing film with absolutely stunning performance from Malcolm McDowell . Direction,acting everything was top notch. Can't believe it took me so long to see this classic. Will never be able to look at singing in the rain or beethoven's 9th symphony the same way again. 10/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 9th June 2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 9th June 2014, 09:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Recently I watched The House That Screamed (1969). Here is my review.

After previously watching Who Can Kill A Child? I thought I had already seen Narciso Ibáñez Serrador's masterpiece. After watching this I immediately changed my mind. This most definitely is his masterpiece.

Arguably its 19th century boarding school - almost acting as a antiquated version of the camps and sorority houses that 80’s American slashers would use as their prime location - helmed by cruel headmistress Miss. Fourneau, is its dominant character. It both reflects Franco's conservative and oppressive regime, which the film was made under, and how suppressed desires will eventually manifest themselves. In the end the only way the girls can escape is through a violent death.

As Fourneau, Lilli Palmer gives a suitably strong and domineering performance that holds the viewers attention. Fortunately her fellow actresses, particurlarly Mary Maude as head girl Irene, support her well. Clever writing from Serrador allows them to project engaging and 3-dimensional characters who we feel for.

Due to his direction and a truly eerie score by Waldo de los Rio an increasing sense of dread, as we become aware of the sadistic nature of the schools grip, permeates the film. As we see in one scene even the headmistress can’t suppress her desires, much less her curious but suffocated son; their maternal relationship being one of the films most perverse elements. Due to this pervasive atmosphere the murder scenes are all the more effective. Using techniques such as lap dissolves, Serrador crafts moments of striking violence. Yet, they are as subtle in their imagery as they are captivating and unsettling. Throughout, the use of widescreen cinematography and convincing period detail helps to maintain this atmospheric tone through to the films satisfying, if somewhat predictable ending. Yet, arguably, the ending very simply and quite powerfully communicates the perverse, tragic and often inhumane consequences obedience to a dictatorial entity like fascism breeds.

Despite being much more of a cult than classic horror film it ultimately has the best traits of the genres most acclaimed examples. It can be described as a gothic horror film while well deserving a place in the context of the slasher/giallo sub-genre - neatly fitting inbetween such films as Pyscho (1960), Mario Bava's early giallo's and Black Christmas (1974).

This would be PERFECT for an Arrow release.
Old 9th June 2014, 10:37 PM
Cult Addict

Riddick.

Something of a return to the low budget roots of pitch black. Riddick sees the eponymous anti-hero losing his edge as Lord Marshall of the necromongers, betrayed and left for dead on a seemingly empty planet. Riddick soon begins to get his game back surviving the harsh environment he's trapped on.

Eventually two groups of mercs arrive on planet with two separate sets of plans for Riddick. Things however, won't go smoothly for anyone.

What I like about the Riddick films is that he's very much in the same mould as pulp adventure heroes like conan. If you've read any of Robert E Howards stuff for example you will know that regardless of how well off the hero is at the end of the previous story its more than likely he will be stone broke and seeking adventure by the next one. Riddick seems to be quite similar in that respect.

The film does admittedly feel like a 'greatest hits' compilation of the better moments from previous films but is still entertaining. Like most of the riddick stuff it'll get a panning but become a cult hit over time. Personally i'm really hoping we see more as I really like the character and setting.
Old 9th June 2014, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Riddick.

Lord Marshall of the necromongers,
Vanquisher of the Nibble Pibbles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-Shot-2013-12-20-at-1.45.40-PM.jpg (85.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 10th June 2014, 06:11 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Vanquisher of the Nibble Pibbles.
Yeah, as I said in the chronicles of riddick review. There really needed to be someone going over the script and giving it a re-write.

That said, as a pen and paper table-top role player (much like Vin diesel) I can tolerate campy stuff in sci-fi. Hence i'm also a big fan of the Sam Jones Flash Gordon. I'm well aware that in regards to both Riddick and Flash i'm probably in the minority but I find them entertaining. And in all fairness their no more campy than any of the Corman produced efforts like galaxy of terror (of which i'm also a fan.)

And pretty much all the Riddicks/flash gordons ect are better than Prometheus.
Old 10th June 2014, 07:06 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I also really liek the Flash Gordon film with Sam Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
And pretty much all the Riddicks/flash gordons ect are better than Prometheus.
...and certainly agree with this statement too!
Old 10th June 2014, 11:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Troll Hunter" (2010)

Beards! Exploding rabid trolls! Great! 18/10 for Troll drool!

Monster Magnet
Old 10th June 2014, 12:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I also really liek the Flash Gordon film with Sam Jones.
...and Ornella Muti.

I've still to see Prometheus. I'll pick it up and give it a go. Must be cheap now.

Doubt it will be better than Flash Gordon though, one of the all time greats. That and The Black Hole.

Like this? Share it using the links below!