Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2016, 03:53 PM
Cult Addict

First horror film of the month.

Black Sabbath, Mario Bava. 1963.

Legendary Italian director Mario Bava's stab at the portmanteau film, bookended by an introduction and a farewell from the wonderful Boris Karloff, Bavas film is like any film of this sort a little uneven. The opening segment (on the Italian version) The Telephone, concerns a woman being harassed by phonecalls from an escaped convict. Frankly i found this segment dull, 30 minutes of not a lot, and not a great idea for an opener, that said its Bava so it still looks gorgeous. This is fortunately followed up with a simply marvellous piece, The Wurdalak. Starring Karloff as the patriarch of a small family living in the mountains, the less said about it the better, except that its brilliant and with a little more padding would have made a great feature. Oh and did i mention? It looks and sounds bloody beautiful, all misty forests and fogbound hills and marshes. The final piece, A Drop of Water isn't quite as good but is still of a very high quality. A nurse is called late at night to attend to patient who has died in the night. This is probably the most surreal piece and the corpse of the old lady looks very effective with its garish over the top look. Water dripping has never sounded so ominous either.
I've had Arrows excellent blu for a few years now but have only just got around to it. Hopefully it won't be long before i return to it, perhaps the AIP version. Perfect Halloween film, even with The Telephone being so dull the other two pieces more than compensate.
Old 6th October 2016, 04:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Here just a few films ive seen recently.

Blood father, mel gibson.
Mel gibson going back to roots of what he knows best,
I like this in lots of ways, it wasnt to ott.
And isnt usual cliche film where father seeks revenge or hunting down who after his daughter, its goes the opposite way of him trying to avoid any trouble and helping his daughter run away and hide.
Recomeded watch.

Amsterdamned first time ever seen this film and highly enjoyed it..

Daylights end, for first time in ages a vampire film thats strongly recommended and getting rave reviews

Mechanic ressurection. Strangely enough these are type of ott blockbuster Hollywood crap i complain about, daft ott etc, but admittedly quite enjoyed it, even tho i whinged at my friend while watching it. Eg, yes ok then he to get in the prison and kill him, where people have been trying for years and no one succeded and he just waltz in and kills him ok then what a crock of shit.....

Driver no not the recent one, the action car chase from 70s with ryan o neal, classic film

The man from nowhere, korean action film

31 hated it gave up about 20 min before end couldnt take anymore.

Violators

The boy, enjoyed this with a neat twist at the end.

Railway man, must have missed then when come out, got engrossed in this amd enjoyed the true story.
Where he seeked revenge and wanted to give him a taste of his own medicine but couldnt quite go as far as torturing him in same way he was tortured, but he broke the bloke until he apologised for how he treated him explaining he was just doing his job, and thats all he wanted was an apology, and goes to show how forgiving he was by become friends.

Blue sunshine, found this and forgot i had it.
Old 6th October 2016, 05:46 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Film No. 6

Bait_Poster-27x39-01.jpg

A Tsunami hits a coastal town in Australia and traps the customers of a supermarket in the store but not only is the water rising great white shark has managed to make its way in with the water

The first scene of the film and we are off to a bad start the CGI is absolutely terrible why i am surprised is beyond me. The acting is syfy channel bad and no matter how hard they try and make you care about the characters you honestly just dont give two shits about any of them. As if things are not bad enough they dress one guy up in shopping baskets and bean tins to make him sink to the bottom to turn off the electricity before the water hits the exposed electric cables and the shark just brushes past him maybe taking pity on the poor asshole for volunteering for just a stupid stunt. I was not expecting too much but i did expect to have some fun with this one but it was horrendous all the emotional moments were just painful to watch because there was no emotion just people talking and not feeling anything. There are moments where the shark is a physical prop but more often than not is bad CGI.

Not recommended at all it gets a

2/10

Just gets the 2 because i enjoyed watching annoying people get munched but thats the only good side of the dud.
Old 6th October 2016, 05:50 PM
Cult Master

Well after that shitshow i'm going to move straight on to Film No. 7.
Old 6th October 2016, 06:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
First horror film of the month.

Black Sabbath, Mario Bava. 1963.

Legendary Italian director Mario Bava's stab at the portmanteau film, bookended by an introduction and a farewell from the wonderful Boris Karloff, Bavas film is like any film of this sort a little uneven. The opening segment (on the Italian version) The Telephone, concerns a woman being harassed by phonecalls from an escaped convict. Frankly i found this segment dull, 30 minutes of not a lot, and not a great idea for an opener, that said its Bava so it still looks gorgeous. This is fortunately followed up with a simply marvellous piece, The Wurdalak. Starring Karloff as the patriarch of a small family living in the mountains, the less said about it the better, except that its brilliant and with a little more padding would have made a great feature. Oh and did i mention? It looks and sounds bloody beautiful, all misty forests and fogbound hills and marshes. The final piece, A Drop of Water isn't quite as good but is still of a very high quality. A nurse is called late at night to attend to patient who has died in the night. This is probably the most surreal piece and the corpse of the old lady looks very effective with its garish over the top look. Water dripping has never sounded so ominous either.
I've had Arrows excellent blu for a few years now but have only just got around to it. Hopefully it won't be long before i return to it, perhaps the AIP version. Perfect Halloween film, even with The Telephone being so dull the other two pieces more than compensate.
I consider Drop of Water to be Bava's finest hour myself, everything about it is perfect, but each to their own.
MacBlayne, keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 6th October 2016, 06:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
I consider Drop of Water to be Bava's finest hour myself, everything about it is perfect, but each to their own.
There's certainly nothing wrong with it, just following The Wurdalak it was a slight step down. Was in a different league to The Telephone though.
keirarts and Buboven like this.
Old 6th October 2016, 06:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

PSYCHOMANIA

Nicky Henson stars as the leader of a biker gang, who learns the secret of returning from the dead and immortality and encourages his gamg members to follow suit.
Having never seen this one before (!) I'd read that it was a pretty bizarre movie, but I now realise how completely bonkers - and enjoyable - it is.

This terrific looking bd from BFI Flipside also includes some great interviews, as well as short films. "Roger Wonders Why" is ( unintentionally ) hysterical.

COUNT DRACULA'S GREAT LOVE

Definitely one of Paul Naschy's best, here he stars as the titular Count, whose castle is visited by four travellers, who end up being transformed into vampires in this 1973 Spanish horror.

This very enjoyable movie arguably gets even better as it goes along, with lots of colour filters and foggy slo - mo effects.

Vinegar Syndrome presents the full uncut version on their blu ray edition. Let's hope this one
does well and they release many more Eurohorror titles.
Old 6th October 2016, 10:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

To the Devil a Daughter (1976)

Christopher Lee plays a defrocked, devil-worshipping Catholic priest who convinces a man (Denholm Elliott) to sign over his daughter (Nastassja Kinski) so she will become the devils' representative on earth on her 18th birthday. As the time draws near the two become locked in a deadly battle over possession of the innocent girl's soul.

The final horror film from the studio that dripped blood. To The Devil a Daughter is one of Hammer's unsung great films. Based on a Dennis Wheatley novel, as was 1968's The Devil Rides Out* also starring Lee but this time as the heroic Duc de Richleau rather than the worshipper of the occult he portrays here.

As with The Devil Rides Out, To the Devil a Daughter has strong occult influences, but this films modern day setting takes it out of any fantasy story and as with The Exorcist (1973) and The Omen (1976) the contemporary setting makes it all the more believable and indeed terrifying. Unusually for Hammer the film sports strong gore and is often unsettling, - see the sequence of the hallucinating Catherine running across Tower Bridge - as well as sexual scenes in a satanic orgy meaning for once the 18 certificate or X as it was back in the 70's is just as relevant now.

The film sports a fine cast. Joining Lee, who exudes true malevolent evil, and Elliott are American legend Richard Widmark who's fine performance steal the film from under Lee's nose, and former Avenger Honor Blackman as well as Colditz star Anthony Valentine. Also appearing in one scene is Brian Wilde, best known as Foggy from Last of the Summer Wine, acting out a scene with Richard Widmark was definitely something to tell the grand kids about.

To tie in nicely with watching it in October, the film is set during the run up to All Hallows Eve when the satanic ritual will take place. The final showdown between Lee and Widmark is unfortunately a bit of a let down and it passes by in a blur of wildly coloured film stock, however there's plenty of occult nastiness before hand to make up for it including a naked Lee (probably a stand in) taking the virginal Catherine on the altar and a frankly disgusting sequence with a demonic baby literally giving her head. These sequences are genuinely grim and should have inspired Hammer's direction into the 80's but alas it was not to be.

To the Devil a Daughter is one of those films that gets better and better the more times i watch it.

*Wheatley's story Uncharted Seas was also adapted by Hammer but wasn't a horror film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg devil_a_daughter.jpg (74.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 6th October 2016, 11:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched Kiss Me Deadly (1955)

BLOODY FANTASTIC!!! 100/10.
MacBlayne, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 7th October 2016, 10:33 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Phantasm IV: Oblivion (1998)

*** out of *****

Phantasm: Ravager (2016)

** out of *****

My ranking of the Phantasm series (ratings out of 5):

1 ****
2 ***1/2
4 ***
3 **1/2
5 **

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Like this? Share it using the links below!