Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2014, 11:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm the opposite of you. I like Diary, it improves each time i watch it, but really wasn't impressed with Evil Dead at all.
I actually like all of big George's dead films, yes even survival(that everyone seems to hate.). Kinda gone off most zombie films since the recent revival but Romero always has something interesting to say.

You've only got to compare his stuff to something like the 'Day of the dead' remake to realise they are superior, he always tries to make a point or do something slightly different. It's just a shame that his original trilogy are such classics that they put everything else he does in the shade.

As for the Evil dead remake i enjoyed it with friends at the cinema, cringeworthy moments etc, but i have no real desire to see it again, unlike the originals which i know back to back.

In my opinion the ED remake changed some stuff that should have been left as it was, the book for instance, they totally screwed that over.

Like you say Dem 'Diary' for me get's better the more you watch it and place it in the context of today's modern society that Romero was commenting on.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 30th May 2014, 11:24 PM
Cult Addict

Was editing the last post and re-posted it.
That's what Friday night's and beer do for you i guess.

Old 30th May 2014, 11:29 PM
Cult Addict

Still don't understand how Carpenter managed to screw over the 'Village of the Damned" remake because i absolutely adore the original.
I can forgive him for new stuff that doesn't quite work out, but for a good filmmaker to take a classic and totally screw up, thats horse of a different colour altogether.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 30th May 2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 31st May 2014, 12:17 AM
Cult Addict

Cry Baby

cry.jpg

Watched this the other day with my daughter, she wanted to see it due to JD,(quite apt seeing as he's a Juvenile delinquent in this, although to be honest he's not very delinquent in this film really.)
My daughter seemed to find parts funny but most of the time kept looking at me as if to say WTF? (sorry bout that), anyway i'm sure she secretly enjoyed it, just isn't familiar with John waters kooky messed up version of reality.

Personally i found most of it hilarious, the fist 45 minutes or so i really enjoyed but thought it petered out at the end a bit.
The square chick JD falls in love with is a little bland but i guess that's the point. Depp was ok but his character needed fleshing out a bit too.

But what really made this work for me was the insanity of some scenes ( John Waters just seems to just mix everything up and throw it in your face, which i respect a lot)

Notable was the scene with Iggy Pop in a tin bath for sheer novelty value, Joe Dellasandro popping up as a preacher type, an orphan freakshow and for sheer entertainment any scene wth 'Hatchetface' in.

hatchet.jpg

I can understand why others might find her annoying but the variety of expressions she pulls make's her a legend, and it was her that had me in stitches throughout.

Recommended if you like John Waters films and total insanity.

7/10

Old 31st May 2014, 08:42 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm the opposite of you. I like Diary, it improves each time i watch it, but really wasn't impressed with Evil Dead at all.
I'm exactly the same – I saw Diary of the Dead on my birthday at the cinema and really liked what Romero did in terms of narrative storytelling and a critique on human behaviour. It's been far too long since I last saw it, so will put it on my 'to watch' list for next week.
Old 31st May 2014, 12:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm exactly the same – I saw Diary of the Dead on my birthday at the cinema and really liked what Romero did in terms of narrative storytelling and a critique on human behaviour. It's been far too long since I last saw it, so will put it on my 'to watch' list for next week.
It's also now on my re-watch list after the recent chat.
Old 31st May 2014, 12:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I actually like all of big George's dead films, yes even survival(that everyone seems to hate.). Kinda gone off most zombie films since the recent revival but Romero always has something interesting to say.
Quote:
Still don't understand how Carpenter managed to screw over the 'Village of the Damned" remake because i absolutely adore the original.
I can forgive him for new stuff that doesn't quite work out, but for a good filmmaker to take a classic and totally screw up, thats horse of a different colour altogether.
I was really impressed when i first saw Survival of the Dead. It seemed like a breath of fresh air in a genre that was becoming a bit stale. I've seen it four times now and unfortunately, unlike Diary of the Dead it gets worse with each viewing.

I've only seen Village of the Damned once and that was in the last 12 months. I'm not really familiar with the original film nor it's source novel, but i have to say i did enjoy Carpenter's film. I'm not suggesting it's a classic, but i had a lot of enjoyment watching it.
Old 31st May 2014, 12:45 PM
Cult Addict

You should watch the original Dem, it may be because i saw it first when i was young but it's a favourite of mine, the kids are much more creepy.
Also i thought the book was good too.
It's available in a box set with it's sequel that should be pretty cheap now, the sequels not bad either.
I haven't seen Survival in awhile so will rewatch it soon. love the final image.

Old 31st May 2014, 12:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
You should watch the original Dem, it may be because i saw it first when i was young but it's a favourite of mine, the kids are much more creepy.
Also i thought the book was good too.
It's available in a box set with it's sequel that should be pretty cheap now, the sequels not bad either.
I haven't seen Survival in awhile so will rewatch it soon. love the final image.
I've had that set in my Amazon wishlist since i watched the Carpenter film. Not got round to buying it yet though.
Old 31st May 2014, 01:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've had that set in my Amazon wishlist since i watched the Carpenter film. Not got round to buying it yet though.
The original film is really good, and much creepier than Carpenter's version. The sequel, Children of the Damned, is an interesting movie, but doesn't have the same level of unease and threat of Village.

Like this? Share it using the links below!