Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2014, 05:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Edge of Tomorrow - 3.5/5

An enjoyable sci-fi action pretty much on a par with Oblivion. They should have kept the original title of 'All You Need Is Kill' though!
Old 31st May 2014, 06:10 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
Edge of Tomorrow - 3.5/5

An enjoyable sci-fi action pretty much on a par with Oblivion. They should have kept the original title of 'All You Need Is Kill' though!
I'm going to see it tomorrow. I'm trying to keep an open mind by avoiding reviews and trailers; I've seen the one in the cinema have a dozen times, but haven't heard it as I always listen to music on my phone until the trailers finish.
Old 31st May 2014, 06:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Race with the Devil - 1975

Starring Peter Fonda and Warren Oates. A great horror/action flick. Reminded me a lot of Wes Craven's 'The Hills Have Eyes'. R.G Armstrong's character was basically Papa Jupiter with a badge. Amazing stunt work during the last twenty minutes or so. Loved the ending. Thoroughly enjoyable yarn
Old 31st May 2014, 07:30 PM
Cult Addict

The Frozen ground.

Based on the hunt for Alaskan serial killer Robert C. Hansen the film opens with a hooker found beaten, raped and handcuffed in a motel room. She tells the police about her assault but is dismissed by the local cops as Hansen is an upstanding member of the community. One lone officer believes her and sends the details of the case on. It ends up on the desk of sgt Jack Halcombe who soon begins to realize that they may have a serial killer on their hands. What emerges is one of the worst serial killers in Alaskan history.

This was a much better film than I had anticipated. Firstly Nic Cage manages to keep his performance subdued and grounded. Given his propensity to go wild eyed and crazy at every opportunity (oh god the bees!) I had worried about his casting here but I keep forgetting that once upon a time Cage was a serious actor and CAN act when he wants to. Here he's actually pretty darned good. Second is John Cuasak who also gives a frankly astonishing performance. He's one of those actors who is naturally likable and generally plays likeable characters. Here he's seedy, cold and remote. Theres a scene where he's having dinner with his family that is genuinely creepy. He really comes across as someone play acting nice for appearances. Also worth a mention is vanessa hudgens. Given her early work in banal crap like high school the musical its a surprise to see her break out into decent roles in films like this and Spring breakers. She really is good in this film and gives a lot of pathos to her character as a young girl who has slid into drugs and prostitution after a horrific childhood. We also get Dean Norris (hank from breaking bad) giving a stellar supporting role and a cameo from 50 cent of all people playing a pimp with strange hair.

The chilly night time world of Alaska present a side of the state not seen in cinema. Its depiction sleazy strip bars, busy hustling red light district and rampant drug problems fuelled by bored oil workers is something not often seen when Alaska ends up on screen.
The plot is gripping and deals with the subject matter well. It never glamorises or sensationalises what happened. It even gives time at the end to present the real victims of hansen.

Well worth a watch.
Old 31st May 2014, 07:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Demons

No real plot to speak of just a excuse for some OTT gore and a great soundtrack. 8/10

A study in terror

Not seen this before but really enjoyed it, great acting, and period detail. Had me glued to the screen from beginning to end, would of liked to of seen the two leads do another Sherlock Holmes film. Only downside was Barbra Windsor but thankfully she was dispatched early on! 9.5/10

Mother's Day

Tame by today's standards but still has the power to shock in places, watched the Eli Roth interview and unlike him I had no sympathy for Ike or Addley and could not wait for the tables to be turned on them and there mother. Watch out for queenie! 7.5/10

Next up blood on satans claw.
Old 31st May 2014, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Bastards

A father commits suicide and his daughter is disturbed - his brother-in-law comes back home to pick up the pieces. Solid film - dark and disturbing. However, I don't think it's a masterpiece as some critics think.

The Black Panther

Very, very good - Donald Sumpter gives a terrific performance as Donald Nielsen. It's played straight, almost like a documentary and works all the better for it. It's tragic that this fell though the cracks due to the timing of release and Sue Lawley really did not help matters with her interview of the director. Nevertheless, this is the beauty of Flipside and this singlehandedly justifies the existence of the label (I may very well have used this phrase on another Flipside release, but in any case more to the good).

One thing that I could not believe when I was watching this was how incompetent Nielsen was - with all the planning and military precision, every single raid was a failure for him in some way. I had to check the booklet to see whether any liberties were taken with the material - they weren't!

The short film - Recluse - originally looks like it might it float like a butterfly, but it actually stings like a bee. The booklet makes a good case for its inclusion.

Easily one of the best Flipside releases.

Death Occurred Last Night

I really liked this - a father goes to the police to track down his daughter, who is 25 but has the mental age of 3. The police detectives in charge then pursue various avenues. To say any more would be wrong, but the performances are very good and it's a very good detective drama overall.

Last edited by Nemesis; 31st May 2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 31st May 2014, 08:57 PM
Cultist

Just took a break from Hannibal season 2 and watched The House With Laughing Windows. I've been wanting to see this movie for a long time but it's impossible to find in Sweden so I ordered it from Shameless and recieved it earlier this week. Very pleased with it and it's such a relief to finally have seen it and own it.
Old 31st May 2014, 09:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReversedBible View Post
Just took a break from Hannibal season 2 and watched The House With Laughing Windows. I've been wanting to see this movie for a long time but it's impossible to find in Sweden so I ordered it from Shameless and recieved it earlier this week. Very pleased with it and it's such a relief to finally have seen it and own it.
Now I want a decent UK release of ZEDER!!!

THE RETURNED.

Not the TV series, rather the film that preceded it. One day 70 million dead folk all come back. The film opens with them walking in a trance like state out of the gates of the local cemetery. Every effort is made to re-integrate them back into society. Some of the deceased's relatives welcome them back with open arms. Others react with fear. As time progresses it is discovered that the newly returned are 'different' with aphasia like symptoms. Its determined that their interactions and emotions are copied responses or taken from memory rather than spontaneous. It also turns out their leaving at night to meet up in groups. Slowly people start to become alarmed.

While in some respects the Returned is a 'zombie movie' it can also be regarded as more a ghost movie and even has some of the trappings of a bodysnatcher film. Its very vague and refuses to explain much of anything. Perhaps because there is too much plot to contain in one film. This would explain the existence of the tv series. Quite a lot of the film rushes through explanations and reveals plot details right at the last second as if the film-makers had a great deal of difficulty fitting everything in.

Nonetheless I enjoyed the film. It only cost me 50p from a local charity shop and its a moody intelligent and atmospheric film that really does attempt to do something new. Will have to seek out the series now!
Old 31st May 2014, 09:43 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Now I want a decent UK release of ZEDER!!!

Oh yes, that'd be awesome!
Old 31st May 2014, 09:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blood on satans claw

Fantastically atmospheric , with good acting, interesting and believable characters and a atmospheric score. A true British classic of the genre. 9.5/10

Now watching tale from the crypt tv series, just noticed it's a HBO production

Like this? Share it using the links below!