Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179894Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th August 2014, 08:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
It the latter stuff that I find interesting when directors shatter reality by accident and lack of film making skill. I sometimes wonder if these filmmakers have ever even seen a film before stepping behind the camera.
I know what you mean. REALLY 'bad' films, films which are reality shattering in that accidental way, are a true delight and rarer than might be thought. Stuff like 'Help Me, I'm Possessed...', things like that.
Old 10th August 2014, 08:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's weird in fact that there don't seem to be more f*cked up latter day microbudgeters - as you're fond of pointing out, there's way too much corridor wandering. Some of which might be trance inducing, but not all.
Old 10th August 2014, 08:39 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
It's weird in fact that there don't seem to be more f*cked up latter day microbudgeters - as you're fond of pointing out, there's way too much corridor wandering. Some of which might be trance inducing, but not all.
True, but I'm guessing that today's microbudget film makers are more film savvy than those of old. If you can make a film on your phone and edit it on your pc there is less chance of accidental weirdness...
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 10th August 2014, 08:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

some recent viewings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blu-ray-pirates.jpg (60.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg contaminationDVD.jpg (47.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg download2.jpg (9.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg images (1).jpg (6.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MV5BMzM5NjUxOTEyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjEyMDM0MDE@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg (19.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rat.jpg (17.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Return_to_Batcave.jpg (44.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg wizards of the lost kingdom.jpg (93.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 10th August 2014, 09:17 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
some recent viewings
What's the verdict on Ratman
Old 10th August 2014, 09:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Last film of the weekend was a trip to the cinema to see the new Ken Loach film Jimmy's Hall about Irish communist activist Jimmy Gralton's struggle with the Irish government, local landlords and the Irish church to provide a local community hall. An interesting, if very predictable for Loach, subject which gives him the opportunity to rehearse well worn arguments about the detrimental (and hypocritical) role of the church in politics and affairs of state. Gralton's story is competently brought to the screen by a director who has produced much better work.
Old 10th August 2014, 09:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
What's the verdict on Ratman
I'm pretty sure only me, bizarre_eye, Demdike, nordicdust and keirarts like it!

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 11th August 2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10th August 2014, 09:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm pretty sure only me, bizarre_eye, nordicdust and keirarts like it!
What about me.?

I was the one telling Nordic to buy it in the first place.
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th August 2014, 09:37 PM
Active Cultist

Ravenous - pleased to say this movie has aged remarkably well. I think I finally sussed it, but my theory necessarily means spoilers so look away if you've never seen it........the whole thing is Guy Pearce's dying hallucination as he's slowly crushed by a pile of dead bloody bodies. Isn't this obvious? How did he take an entire Mexican command post himself? What was with the guy surviving the cliff fall? Calhoun suddenly appearing as the commander? The resurrection of the last commander? The final clue that the fearsome Carlyle is a manifestation of his screwed up sub conscious is when they die at the same time, clasped together in a bloody embrace. This film is that rarest of things - a truly original contemporary horror flick. RIP director Antonia Bird, who died last year, what a talent.

3 quickies from this weekend

Anatomy of a Murder - Big genial bear Jimmy Stewart takes on sleek panther George C Scott in hypnotic legal drama which hinges on whether Lee Remick was wearing panties. Hot then, hot now.

Dangerous Crossing - sea bound, fog bound disappeared husband yarn. I was never fooled but reasonably entertained. That damn fog horn though never shut up.

Panic in the Streets - Top quality noir/epidemic on the loose hybrid with a fair bit of Eliza Kazan's patented dockside realism thrown in. The young Jack Palance looks amazing here - a human special effect, like a very long stick with a Halloween mask on top. One scene of him parleying with a midget newspaper seller was my freeze frame of the weekend.
Old 10th August 2014, 09:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[QUOTE=nordicdusk;413931]What's the verdict on ratman

It's a poor film but I actually liked it, but it had something. but how the hell did he fit in that bag!

I recommend return to the bat cave to anyone who is a fan of the 60s batman tv show.

Last edited by trebor8273; 10th August 2014 at 09:54 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!