All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2015, 03:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Revenge of the Living Dead Girls (1987)

A film that's flawed practically beyond redemption. Zombies that can drive and write??? The chemicals which are poured into the graveyard only reanimate the same three corpses each night, never any others??? The film is also awash with continuity errors and general all round shoddiness. One of the zombies, all gnarly faced has perfectly manicured hands as she claws her way out of her burial place is another example of slack film making. However the sleaziness of it all overpowers all before it especially the rather graphic gore sequences.

Taking several plot elements from The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue, Revenge of the Living Dead Girls doesn't come close to Grau's classic in style or execution but it is more in line with Rollin's The Living Dead Girl. Oddly for a film made in 1987 it feels very early seventies with it's Franco-esq levels of gratuitous nudity and over the top Italian style violence - The scene of vaginal mutilation is still quite shocking and the eye scene and miscarriage in the shower come close in the grue stakes.

Revenge of the Living Dead Girls isn't really a film to recommend but it is campy fun if you can get over the haphazard nature of it all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg revengeofthelivingdeadgirls.jpg (30.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 18th February 2015, 04:17 PM
Active Cultist

Paganini Horror-i only made it 40 mins in,Nicolodi and Pleasence must have been skint, absolutely terrible.

Grave Encounters 2- I like part 1 so i thought i would give this a go, irritating unlikeable characters i wanted dead asap,another turd

Then i watched Hatchet 2 on the horror channel,i forced myself to watch most of it but had to turn it off 10 mins b4 it finished as i wanted to smash the tv,dreck
Old 18th February 2015, 04:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

A very nail on the head review of Revenge of the living dead girls Dem, I agree with every word. a Very bizarre film.

Rabid. (1976)

Arrow has done a beautiful job,neaqrly all other releases of rabid before have been diabolical either washed out picture or insanely "unique" ratios including a release I had years ago that had the ratio as a squashed rectangle going upwards taking up about just 30% of the screen wtf? I don't need to say anything about the film I doubt there are many here who haven't seen it or at the very least know the plot well. film 10/10 release 10/10

Demonic toys (1992)

88 films has done a great job just like The children of Ravensback in one of my recent posts on this thread this film too holds memories for me of VHS days. I got this on VHS at ford market around 1997/1998,which we used to go as a family nearly weekly. I always made a bee line for the VHS guy who never had less than 5-6 huge boxes stuffed with VHS per week and different horrors every week!.

The Dialogue is cringey, the acting is hardly award winning & it is plain silly but it is The bad but good camp,the toys are cleverly designed and hilarious as they gorily dispatch those trapped in a warehouse. a Bit of a childs play rip off in terms of the warehouse start but a great film. Yes I am biased we all are when it comes to films we once picked up on VHS and remember when and how. 7/10 for the film & 9/10 for the restoration/blu.

I have the 3 puppet master blus 88 released to watch in the next few days not sure I have seen any of them before after the original.

Nekromantik 2. (1991)

Tbh I wasn't even going to watch this as the first one turned my stomach but as I'd already ordered it before i'd seen the first one & you can't cancel diabolik releases I thought I may as well.
Some woman digs up the bloke from the first film and take his corpse home she then meets a living man and has to decide between a normal life or the necrophilia life. the end is gruesomely predictable in my opinion.

I think the film itself and the more cheerful locations (including the funfair) are not as "dark" as the original and it is generally better tbh I doubt i'll watch either again however due to their graphic nature. But I still place Lucker the necropophagus as the sickest of all films of this type in fact I think it's the most stomach turning thing I have ever seen 6/10 for the film & 9/10 for the restoration/blu

Rivers edge (1987)

Keanu Reeves & the kid from After Dark star in this rip off of "stand by me" tbh it wasn't as good as I had hoped and bored me in places whilst screaming predictability in others. 4/10
Old 18th February 2015, 04:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold6082 View Post
Rabid. (1976)

Arrow has done a beautiful job,neaqrly all other releases of rabid before have been diabolical either washed out picture or insanely "unique" ratios including a release I had years ago that had the ratio as a squashed rectangle going upwards taking up about just 30% of the screen wtf?
4:3?
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th February 2015, 04:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
4:3?
no it wasn't the standard 4:3 square it was like a rectangle (strip) all squashed up going downwards top to bottom of screen not left to right. never seen anything like it it was soon given away.
Old 18th February 2015, 08:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Has anyone seen predestination there a few Q? I like to ask.
Old 18th February 2015, 09:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Revenge of the Living Dead Girls (1987)

A film that's flawed practically beyond redemption. Zombies that can drive and write??? The chemicals which are poured into the graveyard only reanimate the same three corpses each night, never any others??? The film is also awash with continuity errors and general all round shoddiness. One of the zombies, all gnarly faced has perfectly manicured hands as she claws her way out of her burial place is another example of slack film making. However the sleaziness of it all overpowers all before it especially the rather graphic gore sequences.

Taking several plot elements from The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue, Revenge of the Living Dead Girls doesn't come close to Grau's classic in style or execution but it is more in line with Rollin's The Living Dead Girl. Oddly for a film made in 1987 it feels very early seventies with it's Franco-esq levels of gratuitous nudity and over the top Italian style violence - The scene of vaginal mutilation is still quite shocking and the eye scene and miscarriage in the shower come close in the grue stakes.

Revenge of the Living Dead Girls isn't really a film to recommend but it is campy fun if you can get over the haphazard nature of it all.
Glad to see this one get a mention, Dem. A pile of stinking trash, but hugely erm... I was going to say enjoyable, but in fact I was groping for a word which means 'enjoyable' and 'really not very enjoyable' at the same time. Damn, it doesn't exist. But the film does. That's a start.
PS I like it more than 'Living Dead At Manchester Morgue', though.
Old 18th February 2015, 09:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Glad to see this one get a mention, Dem. A pile of stinking trash, but hugely erm... I was going to say enjoyable, but in fact I was groping for a word which means 'enjoyable' and 'really not very enjoyable' at the same time. Damn, it doesn't exist. But the film does. That's a start.
PS I like it more than 'Living Dead At Manchester Morgue', though.
Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue would definitely be improved upon if it featured a necro-foursome.
Old 18th February 2015, 09:42 PM
Cult Addict

CHINESE ZODIAC. Jackie Chan's last feature doing stunt work is sadly a bit of a mess with an overly complicated plot and too few set pieces that rise above the average. Still, Chan is as likeable as ever and it passes the time away.

MAMA. This starts out quite promising but soon descends into cliché as it moves away from it's folk horror vibe into bog standard modern ghost flick before an embarrassing dark fairy tale ending.

MAY. Rather fine spin on social awkwardness and loneliness that slowly turns into murderous madness. Recommended.
Old 18th February 2015, 09:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Delta Force (1986)

Chuck Norris...Lee Marvin...Shit blows up!!!

An eighties action classic from the prolific Golan-Globus productions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Delta_force_poster.jpg (49.1 KB, 0 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!