Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2016, 10:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE (1946)

Mute girl Dorothy McGuire is next on the list of a murderer who kills women with disabilities. With no help from anyone in the old house, she can't even use the phone to call anyone.....

Great chiller with some real good eerie scenes as the killer watches the victims. The old house is suitably atmospheric as rain, wind and thunder crash outside.
Recommended.
Old 9th April 2016, 10:45 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Well aware its got a marmite rep 😄
You may well love it J, but personally I thought after a promising start it turned into a steaming pile of wank pretty fast. It certainly has its fans though.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 9th April 2016, 10:46 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

Mute girl Dorothy McGuire is next on the list of a murderer who kills women with disabilities. With no help from anyone in the old house, she can't even use the phone to call anyone.....

Great chiller with some real good eerie scenes as the killer watches the victims. The old house is suitably atmospheric as rain, wind and thunder crash outside.
Recommended.
I really rate this one too Dave - the perfect film for a dark stormy night.
Old 9th April 2016, 11:11 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I really rate this one too Dave - the perfect film for a dark stormy night.
It would make a great triple bill with The Old Dark House (1932) and The Haunting (1963)
Old 9th April 2016, 05:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Seasoning House (2012)

Set in the Balkans, Angel, an orphaned deaf mute girl is enslaved in a house where the girls there are forced to prostitute themselves for the military. Being small she manages to negotiate the house using the crawlspaces and spaces between the walls until one day the murderer of her family shows up.

For quite a while i was wondering why i was bothering to watch The Seasoning House. After a brutal opening ten minutes nothing seemed to happen other than Angel tending to the prostitutes needs and showing how she moves in the hidden darkness. The over riding feeling i had was how grim it all was. It all felt so genuinely unpleasant. The girls were treated terribly. Forced to have sex with hulking guys who beat them within an inch of their lives whilst ****ing them, then seeing the girls patched up by a loathsome doctor on the payroll before enduring the next client. It was all sleazy in the extreme and certainly posed questions for me regarding the mentality of these soldiers or perhaps just the script writers. All in all really depressing without any chinks of light.

Around the forty minute mark it all kicked into gear with the reintroduction of Sean Pertwee and his little gang of homicidal mercenaries. The film developed a fully fledged story line and Angel had other things to do rather than tending to sexually broken girls. The second half of the film was in fact brilliant. I was gripped completely as Angel was suddenly stuck in a fight for survival against the soldiers.

British director Paul Hyett's film is a starkly brutal affair. The gore is hard going and very realistic looking which added to the ultra nihilistic feel the film has. Even though the second half lightens a little that horrific air still pervades and the film features a very downbeat ending which is left open for interpretation. Although given what she'd endured during the first 85 minutes i don't think Angel would have had too many problems getting away...but that's another story or a sequel perhaps.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault (Large).jpg (97.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 9th April 2016, 05:48 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

Recommended.
This sounds like my cup of tea!
Old 9th April 2016, 06:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

8.2/10

8.1/10

8/10

Tonight's viewings

Old 9th April 2016, 07:09 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Seasoning House (2012)
Glad you persevered and ended up liking it, Dem.

I remember you getting this and just assumed you were saving it for part of Decemberdike.
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th April 2016, 07:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

I struggled with The Beast Within at first but in the end really liked it. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Ghost Warrior treb. I've been eyeing up 101's blu for a while.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 9th April 2016 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Tidying up the thread.
Old 9th April 2016, 07:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Glad you persevered and ended up liking it, Dem.

I remember you getting this and just assumed you were saving it for part of Decemberdike.
Wow! Can you imagine the warm Christmassy glow you'd be left with following that film?

Like this? Share it using the links below!