All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179829Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2015, 11:26 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Hopkins is Lecter. Brian Cox was neither here nor there and not in Manhunter enough for it to matter much. Mads in the series is terrible, has the charisma of a boiled potato.
Couldn't disagree more! Thought Hopkins was too over-the-top and lip-smackingly pantomime whereas Cox has a subtle sinisterness about him. Haven't seen enough of Mikkelson yet in the tv show but enjoying his interpretation thus far.
Demoncrat, trebor8273 and Vipp like this.
Old 23rd February 2015, 11:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
Am I the only man on this planet who thinks Manhunter is the definition of how not to make a film out of a book? I have read all the Harris books and neither of the films do justice to the character of Francis Dolarhyde but Bryan Cox is a terrible terrible terrible Hannibal. Hannibal is a sophisticated Eastern-European/American man, and I couldn’t imagine even seeing Cox's name on a list of people you would cast for that role if your instructions were to find an educated sophisticated Eastern European-American citizen to be in your movie??

Also, the soundtrack to the Manhunter film is irritating. I will never forget the god awful ‘Inna Godda Davida’ song ever. Whenever im stressed i can hear that song on loop, just like in the movie. It's just so annoying to hear, if a lobotomy would take that sound away I would take one.

The character of Will Graham is complicated and almost autistic in style. The best actor I have seen imitate that character from the book is the actor from the current TV show. He has the job, as far as im concerned. The actor in manhunter has such flat delivery of Will's lines when Will is talking his way into a crime scene. I have no idea how this movie or it's below par cast ever inspired such over the top admiration from the viewers.

I respect Trebor and this isn’t aimed at bringing his opinion down because I don’t know anyone who feels like I do. However, after trying to watch this film five or six times I just can't see it for anything other than a bastardisation of Harris and his work. I feel we all owe Harris a little more than to compare Manhunter with Red Dragon but IF we must, how can anyone discount Philly Hoffman as Fred Lounds. Also, Anthony Hopkins will always be the best Hannibal and ‘Ralph-strange-name-Fiennes’ does a great job of channeling Dolarhyde (but like I said neither of the actors that have played this evil character have done the book justice in my opinion).

Guys help me out here, this film is bloody terrible. Honestly just terrible.
Only bit about this I have to disagree with is the comment about In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, because I love that song!

I've always thought it was just me that only thinks Manhunter is an ok film, and one I rarely watch. TBH, apart from Heat and Collateral, I don't particularly like any Michael Mann films.
Vipp likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 23rd February 2015, 07:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Prom Night (1980)

Whilst out playing and causing general mayhem, four kids cause the death of a friend through bullying. Years later an axe wielding, black masked killer turns up on high school prom night to wreak revenge.

For the first hour of this 90 minute film the only notable thing is starring roles for up and coming actress Jamie Lee Curtis and character actor and soon to be comedy superstar Leslie Nielsen. The film is lifeless, very talky and in all honesty rather boring. Nothing memorable happens after the early window smashing death and the film seemingly just peters out in a tacky melee of horrible disco music.

Then come the last thirty minutes, the killer turns up at the school prom and the film cranks up a couple of gears and we finally have a movie worthy of it's slasher tag. There are two very memorable set pieces. The first, a harrowing stalk and chase through the campus which really gives the film an air of tension that had been sadly lacking before hand. The second, a gory finale that is brilliantly summed up by the phrase 'Heads will roll'. This final third just about gives the film credibility as a slasher film, but it's one that is way down the list when it comes to the best of the genre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prom_night_film_poster.jpg (50.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 23rd February 2015, 07:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fast times it ridgmont high

First viewing and really enjoyed it, funny and engaging with likable characters. 9/10

Summer school

An easy to watch feel good comedy with Mark Harmon as gym teacher that ends up having to teach English at summer school to a group of slackers and misfits, Kirsty alley is the potential love intrest.

We also have some decent gore, yes gore thanks to two of the students who are big horror fans and partically the Texas chainsaw Masscure 7/10

Mark of the vampire

More than likely going to upset a few people as I found this more enjoyable than dracula which I always thought was one of the weakest of the main universal monster movies. 8.5/10

Next up revolt of the zombies which like Mark of the vampire is my first time watching it
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Replacement Killers (1998)

Ignoring the fact the film is largely plot less. Antoine Fuqua's debut feature is a stylish, bullet strewn action thriller.

Starring the ever watchable Chow Yun Fat and the underrated Mira Sorvino who has tough and sexy down to a tee, The Replacement Killers is a guaranteed joy for all shoot em' up fans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg replacementkillers.jpg (61.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 23rd February 2015, 11:45 PM
Cult Addict

Comedy of terrors.

Given that I'm yet to work my way through the six gothic tales set, it says something of my love for this film that it was put on for a watch at the earliest opportunity.
Vincent Price plays a drunken misanthropic undertaker who hates his wife, wants to poison his father in law and has driven the once prosperous undertaking business so far into the dirt (pardon the pun) that his thespian Landlord (played by a scene stealing Basil Rathbone) is threatening to evict the whole family as the rent is a year past due. With his assistant, an ex con burglar played by the ever excellent ( and at this point seriously ill) Peter Lorre, who seems to have been hired for his lock-picking skills rather than any talent at the occupation at hand, Prices undertaker begins to drum up a little business through murder.
Comedy of terrors is somewhat far removed from most of the Corman/poe films and like THE RAVEN seems to play more as a comedy, though unlike The raven this film is somewhat better realised. Partly due to the direction of Jacques Tournier, who has a real talent for comedy as well as horror, the film also owes a lot of its appeal to the double act of Price and Lorre both of whom have a real on screen chemistry that works like a charm. I still find the film genuinely funny after multiple viewings, the script is incredible and some of Richard Matheson's best work with an eye for comedic dialogue that would not be out of place in one of Jack Vance's DYING EARTH novels.
The Blu-ray looks excellent and has some great bonus features as well. So far one of my favourite discs of 2015.

Texas chainsaw massacre: The beginning.

While something of a director for hire, with a rep for films with terrible reviews (darkness falls, Battle for los angles, Teenage mutant ninja turtles) I actually think Jonathan Liebsman actually has some talent for film-making.
While I was never entirely keen on the Texas chainsaw remake, a film that mis-fired. This prequel is not constrained by following on from any landmark horror and Liebsman seems to have been allowed to go a little wild with this one.
Make sure you grab the unrated release as the gore goes entirely OTT in places and while this is still something of a trashy movie it has some of the low rent charm of Leatherface Texas chainsaw 3 about it and it truly seems to not give a good f&%k and manages to retain a certain appeal that actually makes it a better film for me than the remake.
The r-rated release has bonus features but the unrated is the way to go!
Old 24th February 2015, 08:57 AM
Cult Addict

The Babadook. First and foremost this film deserves all the praise its had and more as it is simply brilliant.
The acting is exceptional and the story while very simply just captivated me from the get go.
Old 24th February 2015, 09:49 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
The Babadook. First and foremost this film deserves all the praise its had and more as it is simply brilliant.
The acting is exceptional and the story while very simply just captivated me from the get go.
I watched it again over the weekend. It's a cracking film, so much more than what I was expecting. Jennifer Kent has a couple of films in the pipeline according to IMDB, looking forward to them, she's a talented filmmaker.
keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 24th February 2015, 10:32 AM
Cult Addict

It was fantastic. I can't praise it enough. It takes a bunch of bits and pieces from the genre as a whole and whacks them all together to make something that feels fresh and original. And in my opinion superior to some of its obvious inspirations. And Essie Davis is amazing in it.
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th February 2015, 04:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

DEEP RED (1975)

Saw this at the London event with the live score by Goblin. Fantastic !

7TH CAVALRY (1956)

A Cavalry officer is treated with contempt by his regiment because he missed the Battle Of The Little Big Horn and another officer was killed in his place.
He then accepts a mission to retrieve General Custers body from Indian held territory. Enjoyable and colourful western.

FIRST MEN IN THE MOON (1964)

A Victorian inventor uses a substance that deflects the force of gravity to shoot a manned sphere to the moon's surface. There they encounter insect creatures who live beneath the surface......
Enjoyable sci-fi from the DYNAMATION studios. Ray Harryhausen provides the creature effects of the insect Selenites, a huge maggot like moon cow and a Selenite leader.

Like this? Share it using the links below!