troggi likes this.
Old 24th November 2014, 10:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You sum it up rather nicely Rik.
Thanks, there's little else I could've said about it, it really is an acquired taste!
troggi likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th November 2014, 10:35 PM
Cult Addict

Island of Terror
Part 1 of a double bill of Terrence Fisher films for planet films. In this one scientists looking for a cure for cancer inadvertently create bone-eating silica monsters that leave their victims a floppy mess. They slowly begin to terrorise the small island of the east coast of ireland and its up to Peter Cushing et al to stop them!
Cheap and cheerful as most planet films productions were, the film really benefits the skilled direction of Fisher to deliver an entertaining and well paced sci-fi horror. Certainly the silicates look a little 'vintage Dr who' but that's part of the charm. The Blu-ray releases appears to be uncut and includes the hand chopping that was missing from the DD release on DVD. Quite surprising really, the level of nastiness on display and the film only warrants a PG.
Still, thanks to Fisher and Cushing this is an entertaining picture.

Night of the big heat.

Part two of my Terrance Fisher/planet films double bill. This one also set on an island, this time the temperature is sky rocketing in spite of it being mid winter and tensions sexual and otherwise begin to rise on the island. Only oddball scientist Christopher Lee can shed light on what's really going on. Perhaps a little more sophisticated than Island of Terror, this one leaves the menace suggested for a large portion of the screen time. In stead a lot of the action centres around the un-pc plot with Patrick Allen trying desperately to fend off the attentions of his secretary. Difficult when her rack seems to be on display for large portions of time. In fairness she tends to derail a lot of the film as she's pretty bloody gorgeous. Nontheless the film really benefits from the able direction of Terrance fisher once again.
Old 24th November 2014, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Thanks, there's little else I could've said about it, it really is an acquired taste!
I was scribbling notes down as i was watching it. I need to put them into readable sentences.
bizarre_eye@Cult Labs and Rik like this.
Old 24th November 2014, 10:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I was scribbling notes down as i was watching it. I need to put them into readable sentences.

Bet there's plenty of WTF's all over those notes
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th November 2014, 10:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post

The Mocking Jay Part 1 - Cinema (£21 for 2 tickets!)
That really is scandalous Vipp.
troggi likes this.
Old 25th November 2014, 07:02 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
That really is scandalous Vipp.
Unfortunately it's the norm nowadays - which is one of the reasons why I rarely visit the cinema anymore.
JoshuaKaitlyn and troggi like this.
Old 25th November 2014, 07:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

If I take both my kids, by the time I've bought tickets, drinks and snacks and sometimes lunch/tea, it's the best part of £50 for a cinema trip these days!
Old 25th November 2014, 09:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I haven't seen this yet but if it's a faithful adaptation of the comic series then it really will be a phenomenal film. Grant Morrison gets to the heart and core of the character in a way Zack Snyder never could.
its not as good as the comic some stuff is missing, getting to see his father one last time,Bizarro and when Jimmy becomes head of P.R.O.J.E.C.T. and they did miss out what i thought was one of the most important parts clarks "dream" of his father when you think he has died. it really would of been better as a mini series but the core principle and story is still present. but its still a hell of a lot better than man of steel, in that superman just comes of as a mindless thug that doesn't use his brains.
Old 25th November 2014, 11:26 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
If I take both my kids, by the time I've bought tickets, drinks and snacks and sometimes lunch/tea, it's the best part of £50 for a cinema trip these days!
I guess that's an upside to being single, as I went yesterday afternoon and 'paid for' the ticket with my Cineworld Unlimited card, which costs £17 per month – including yesterday, I've been to the cinema five times in the last three weeks.

As for the film, I thought it was very good, but suffered because it was a 'Part 1' film, so I knew it wouldn't be resolved and would probably end of a cliffhanger of sorts (a little like The Matrix Reloaded). I wasn't overly impressed with the first act, but became increasingly involved in the characters and events as the film progressed, so the ending did have a surprising emotional impact.

Saying that, I watched the truly abysmal I, Frankenstein and the terrible, and slightly sad and unintentionally funny, Dracula 3D on Saturday, so the only way was up!
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!