Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2016, 10:00 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

We Are What We Are (Somos lo que hay) (2010)

We Are What We Are is a gritty Mexican drama revolving around a family of cannibals who engage in blood rituals. When the head of the family, and the one responsible for hunting for and the capturing of their meat dies it is down to the rest of the family to attempt to band together and re-align their various roles in order to survive.

A victim of slight mis-marketing, at least to Western audiences, with a promise of gore and extremity, I can see why people were left a little wanting once the end-credits rolled.

However, for me, the film worked fairly well in its intended drama sphere as most of the focus is centered on the struggling family of cannibals and their relationship with one another making the cannibalism almost a secondary element. It certainly lacks depth in places but it was certainly an interesting take on modern cannibalism.

Also, I rarely (if ever) say this but I'm actually looking forward to checking out the US remake at some point to see how it compares, especially as it's been heralded as more of a Southern Gothic style re-imagining rather than a flat out remake.

63/100
Old 6th February 2016, 10:02 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post

We Are What We Are is a gritty Mexican drama revolving around a family of cannibals who engage in blood rituals. When the head of the family, and the one responsible for hunting for and the capturing of their meat dies it is down to the rest of the family to attempt to band together and re-align their various roles in order to survive.

A victim of slight mis-marketing, at least to Western audiences, with a promise of gore and extremity, I can see why people were left a little wanting once the end-credits rolled.

However, for me, the film worked fairly well in its intended drama sphere as most of the focus is centered on the struggling family of cannibals and their relationship with one another making the cannibalism almost a secondary element. It certainly lacks depth in places but it was certainly an interesting take on modern cannibalism.

Also, I rarely (if ever) say this but I'm actually looking forward to checking out the US remake at some point to see how it compares, especially as it's been heralded as more of a Southern Gothic style re-imagining rather than a flat out remake.

63/100
I've yet to see either the original or the remake, but the remake is from Jim Mickle so I'd expect good things.
Old 6th February 2016, 10:36 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched The Mutilator last night. Dear God, what a terrible, terrible film. I know this is probably the point, but the only thing that half saves it are the kill scenes. Awful, bland acting from everyone involved, and I didn't care if any of them died. And the less said about the night time hide & seek game that was obviously filmed during the day judging by the sunlight pouring through the windows (except in the scenes with the killer outside the house). I understand 88 Films were looking at this at one point as well. Dodged a bullet there as far as I'm concerned!

Oh, but I will say this, the song "Fall Break" is bloody good (no pun intended).
Old 6th February 2016, 02:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Quick round up time.

Under The Tuscan Sun (2003)

Diane Lane stars as a book critic who, following a messy divorce where she has to sell her beautiful apartment to her estranged husband, takes a trip to Italy, and on impulse buys a run-down villa in picturesque Tuscany.

A slushy but enjoyable comedy drama where the sun is always shining (Except when it's snowing, of course) and the characters Lane meets are all charming but cliched stereotypes, however the screenplay knows this and indeed addresses it in the dialogue.

Lane is incredibly gorgeous, as is the scenery, but nothing about this is particularly deep. However it's far better than the drearily tedious...

Die Screaming Marianne (1971)

A real miss-fire from director Pete Walker, especially coming on the back of the exciting Man of Fire (1971). This crime drama is listless and boring. Serving as a vehicle for Susan George who pouts and preens her way through this as though she really wishes she was else where.

The film is only slightly interesting in the first half with a possible mystery in London occurring, but when events move to sun kissed Portugal, and George comes face to face with her father (Leo Genn) things go downhill at a great speed. It's clear Walker wanted to sex things up a little as he was doing in much of his work at the time but George wouldn't allow nudity. Something she forgot to mention to Sam Peckinpah that very same year.

In the accompanying feature interview (I really couldn't face the commentary at this time), Walker says the best part of the film is the opening credits where George performs a go-go dance. Walker also admits the film was a troubled production with personality clashes between the actors and production was cancelled at one point. Make of that what you will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Under_the_tuscan_sun_poster.jpg (36.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 718mNq62y9L._SL1297_.jpg (92.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th February 2016, 02:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Count me as someone who's not a huge fan of Die Screaming Marianne either Dem. It's certainly one of Walker's weaker efforts, although odds are given the choice to watch it or Under the Tuscan Sun, I'd choose Marianne every time.
Old 6th February 2016, 02:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Count me as someone who's not a huge fan of Die Screaming Marianne either Dem. It's certainly one of Walker's weaker efforts, although odds are given the choice to watch it or Under the Tuscan Sun, I'd choose Marianne every time.
I wouldn't.

I might watch it again soon to hear the Walker Commentary but that's about all.

I like Tuscany, it's gorgeous, i loved every minute of my visit there, plus i enjoy Italian films and this isn't much different to the 70's comedy dramas Edwige used to do, albeit with less nudity.

I did prefer the Vanessa Redgrave / Amanda Seyfried film Letters to Juliet i admit, but that also starred Franco Nero and Fabio Testi as well.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th February 2016, 07:18 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

63/100
The remake is one of those exceptions to the rule and actually really worth watching.
Old 6th February 2016, 08:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Most certainly not.

Over hyped rubbish that thought it was far cleverer than it actually was.
My thoughts exactly, never seen a film so smug with itself since Hatchet.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 6th February 2016, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sicario (2015)

An idealistic FBI agent is enlisted by a government task force to aid in the escalating war against drugs at the border area between the U.S. and Mexico.

Super serious thriller which manages to be thoroughly gripping especially in the first forty minutes mainly thanks to the superb photography by acclaimed DoP Roger Deakins.

A journey by a convoy of police and CIA vehicles across the US/Mexican border and back, on a somewhat routine mission is stunningly filmed making it completely thrilling cinema. No wonder Deakins is Oscar nominated.

Obviously it's not a very good film just because of whats going on behind the camera. The acting is top drawer. Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro both giving masterclasses in cool, confident acting and Emily Blunt, seemingly out of her depth, but it's this vulnerability that makes her performance all the more believable.

Thought provoking, often morally dubious, tense and deliciously gritty, Sicario is recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Main-Quad_AW_29617-Sicario.jpg (98.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th February 2016, 11:20 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Sicario (2015)

An idealistic FBI agent is enlisted by a government task force to aid in the escalating war against drugs at the border area between the U.S. and Mexico.

Super serious thriller which manages to be thoroughly gripping especially in the first forty minutes mainly thanks to the superb photography by acclaimed DoP Roger Deakins.

A journey by a convoy of police and CIA vehicles across the US/Mexican border and back, on a somewhat routine mission is stunningly filmed making it completely thrilling cinema. No wonder Deakins is Oscar nominated.

Obviously it's not a very good film just because of whats going on behind the camera. The acting is top drawer. Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro both giving masterclasses in cool, confident acting and Emily Blunt, seemingly out of her depth, but it's this vulnerability that makes her performance all the more believable.

Thought provoking, often morally dubious, tense and deliciously gritty, Sicario is recommended.
Watched this last week really enjoyed i would have no trouble recommending it to people also.

Like this? Share it using the links below!