LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st March 2015, 01:08 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
...that i enjoyed more than The Exorcist??
J Harker likes this.
Old 21st March 2015, 03:57 PM
Cult Addict

Hellgate?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
J Harker likes this.
Old 21st March 2015, 04:30 PM
Cult Addict

That i enjoyed it more is actually a fact. Whether its a better film or not is an opinion.
And Rik unwrap the damn thing fella! Its a decent film.
Rik and keirarts like this.
Old 21st March 2015, 04:30 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'd buy that for a dollar... maybe - Part II

The Last House On The Left (1972) * * * ½
lasthouseontheleft.jpg
Mari (Sandra Cassell) and Phyllis (Lucy Grantham) are on their way to a rock concert. When they run into recently escaped criminal Krug Stillo (David Hess) and his gang, things take a turn for the worse - for all involved. This is a brilliant example of the rape and revenge subgenre. Made on a very tight budget, this grim and unrelenting film still works after 44 years. Apart from a few continuity errors and a overhasty third act, this film is a prime example of its genre and one of the most audacious directorial debuts ever. Hess’ perfomance is impressive.

Final Destination (2000) * * ½
finaldestination.jpg
Alex (Devon Sawa) has the ability to foresee horrible events. He and a few of his friends (Ali Larter et al.) survive a massive accident due to his ‘gift’, but they soon find out that their deaths have only been postponed. Although the film’s basic idea is excellent, I found the actual realisation somehow flawed. Whilst I successfully managed to ignore most of the obligatory teenage movie clichés (picking a fight for no reason, pointless conversations, stupid discussions), I found some of the death scenes either ridiculous or exaggerated. Having said that, I still enjoyed the film as a whole as it’s really great how Final Destination manages to create an atmosphere of constantly lurking terror.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) * * *
halloween3.jpg
After entering a hospial and eliminating a patient, a hitman kills himself by blowing up his car. Eye witness Doctor Dan Challis’ (Tom Atkins) curiosity leads him to an outrageous conspiracy involving a toy factory boss (Dan O'Herlihy) and his very special collection of Halloween masks. Accept the story’s inconsistencies and follies (Stonehenge, anyone?) and forget about Michael Myers. This is a well-made and entertaining Horror film with lots of atmosphere. Dean Cundey’s excellent cinematography and a moody score by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth make the film look and sound more expensive than it is. Both Atkins and O’Herlihy are great.

Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) * * ½
halloween4.jpg
Michael Myers survived the ending of Halloween II and, after 10 years in a coma, is back to hunt his niece Jamie (Danielle Harris) down. Scarred and walking with a limp, fellow blast survivor Doctor Loomis (Donald Pleasance) is still destined to lock him up for good. Although this film never reaches the high level of the original or its sequel, it’s still worth watching. Slightly adapted to a new film generation, this film includes more violent deaths and less moody stalking. Pleasence once more plays Loomis with heart and soul, and the ending is terrific.

Maniac (1980) * * * ½
maniac.jpg
Frank Zito (Joe Spinell) is a disturbed maniac on the prowl. Will his new acquaintance Anne (Caroline Munro) help him deal with his problems? One of the finest Slashers ever made, with fantastic SFX and an outstanding Spinell. A slightly longer review can be found on The Cult Labs Members' Review Club.
Old 21st March 2015, 04:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
That i enjoyed it more is actually a fact. Whether its a better film or not is an opinion.
And Rik unwrap the damn thing fella! Its a decent film.
It's only sealed because I've got a huge "to watch pile", I reckon I've got around 50 DVD/BD's still sealed, and considering I keep adding to it, it never seems to go down
keirarts and J Harker like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st March 2015, 05:21 PM
Active Cultist

Yeah I bought the Scarface steelbook three years ago and, although unsealed, it remains unwatched.

The struggle is real...
Old 21st March 2015, 06:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
You got me there!
Old 21st March 2015, 06:48 PM
Cult Addict

Just watched the Criterion collection release of SLACKER

It's a sunny Texan day sometime in the late 80's (at least some time before the films 91 release) and we follow the lives of a loosely connected slackers around Texas. The film follows a character for a while before deciding that other guy seems more interesting then another character will come into play and the film follows them and so forth and so forth.
We get lots of discussions on topics such as media, philosophy, politics and history from a varied and interesting set of characters most of whom are played by non actors, and while the film has no real over-arching plot its still very watch-able and clearly shows influences from earlier independent American directors such as Jim Jarmusch as well as influencing Kevin Smith to direct CLERKS.
Slacker set the trend for a lot of stuff in the 90's and was hugely influential. It still holds up today and Criterions Blu-ray is a phenomenal presentation including a great looking transfer, three commentaries and a whole bunch of extra stuff including a 16mm short from Linklater. It also has a nifty book included in the packaging as well. Worth a look if you can play region A.
Old 21st March 2015, 06:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I Frankenstein

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be actually enjoyed it for what it was despite the dreadful special effects, weak story and some poor acting. 5.5/10

The babadook

While not finding it total awful like rik, also coudnt see why people gave it so much praise. Average in nearly every respect and as was Said by Rik not the least bit scary, seen more scary episodes of scooby doo. 5/10

Next up another two I have not seen before

Witching and bitching
Rabid grannies
keirarts, Vipp and J Harker like this.
Old 21st March 2015, 07:00 PM
Cult Addict

About right on I Frankenstein treb, maybe a 6. Babadook's a 10 for me though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!