Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2015, 08:38 AM
Cult Addict

Finished the hammer boxset.
The Nanny:
A nice little tense thriller. The plot was quite decent a young boy comes out of a psychological place after 2 years due to the death of his sister. When he gets home there is a lot of resentment. The first part was quite slow paced. However it then builds up to a really tense conclusion. Overall I give it a 6/10. Starts off slow but gets better during the 2nd half.

Dracula: Prince of Darkness:
Nothing wrong with this film. It started off with a recap off horror of.Dracula. Despite the lack of Cushing you had good old Christopher lee. The ending was a good laugh with the count trying to keep balance on a piece of stone. 8/10

Frankenstein Created Woman:
Not the best of the hammer frankenstein movies but still a chuckle. The 3 drunks were a bunch of fannies and hans' bird was terrible. The only redeeming features of this film were frankenstein and.the other doctor like. 5/10.

The Devil Rides Out:
Undisputably one of hammer's best films. Christopher Lee had an amazing moustache. The acting was superb the effects were dated (obviously) but were still great. 10/10
Old 16th April 2015, 11:56 AM
Cult Addict

Took my new Cannibal Holocaust blu up to my cave last night for a quick browse of the quality and features. Was already gone midnight but i ended up watching the whole film. Brilliant, I'd only seen it twice prior on an old poor vipco dvd and then the Australian Deluxe dvd. The transfer on the Grindhouse Release blew me away and really improved the film for me.
That said am i the only one that doesn't find this film aywhere near as shocking as its rep suggests?
Rik, Demoncrat, keirarts and 3 others like this.
Old 16th April 2015, 12:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
That said am i the only one that doesn't find this film aywhere near as shocking as its rep suggests?

I don't find it as shocking as Cannibal Ferox, but that may be down to the fact I've owned and watched the uncut version of CH for over 10 years, so it's lost its impact, whereas I've only watched CF a handful of times in the last 10 years.
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th April 2015, 01:13 PM
Cult Addict

Just watched Red State:
I have to be honest I'm not a fan of Kevin Smiths work, but in saying that this is the best movie I have seen. The transition from horror to action was perfectly seamless. The acting was grand and I loved the use of black comedy.

Watching The Toxic Avenger:
First time I have ever seen this film. I love it. The acting is over the top. The violence is excessive. So far it's been great. Nearly finished it I love the mayor of tromaville. Evil fat men are great villains
Old 16th April 2015, 01:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Took my new Cannibal Holocaust blu up to my cave last night for a quick browse... That said am i the only one that doesn't find this film anywhere near as shocking as its rep suggests?
I hate to see the turtle take a hit in the film so i really don't watch it too often but i think it has the potential to be unsettling. I wouldn't eat a nice curry and watch the film that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Just watched Red State:
I have to be honest I'm not a fan of Kevin Smiths work, but in saying that this is the best movie I have seen.
Ever? I like a little of Smith's work but more so his podcast stuff but mate to say that is the best film you have ever seen? I think even Kevin himself would tell you to watch a bunch of movies to help fix that issue. haha. I gest of course, my favorite film is the wicker man or Dawn of the Dead depending on what my mood is and a bunch of members here think those films are poop.
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th April 2015, 01:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
I hate to see the turtle take a hit in the film so i really don't watch it too often but i think it has the potential to be unsettling. I wouldn't eat a nice curry and watch the film that's for sure.

Ever? I like a little of Smith's work but more so his podcast stuff but mate to say that is the best film you have ever seen? I think even Kevin himself would tell you to watch a bunch of movies to help fix that issue. haha. I gest of course, my favorite film is the wicker man or Dawn of the Dead depending on what my mood is and a bunch of members here think those films are poop.
What I meant to say was for me it's the best film I've seen from Smith. Sorry
keirarts and Vipp like this.
Old 16th April 2015, 01:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
What I meant to say was for me it's the best film I've seen from Smith. Sorry
Don't be sorry mate, i was janking your chain, like i said i really do love some terrible films so i'm no one to call out other people's taste, well maybe just 10% of some of the films MTDS likes would make me go to a padded cell quicker than Suzi can pull a pint if i watched them but MTDS is a trend setter so it's hard to judge him really. I need to watch Redstate and Tusk but the more of his stuff i watch the less i want to watch. I have seen him live twice in Scotland and he's a blast, met Jason Mews outside of Edinburgh castle and had a chat but as much of a fan as i am i can;t get over 'Copout' lol. i can;t wait for Clerks 3 and the new mallrats.

Can ask mate what you would say your all time best film was?
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 16th April 2015, 01:33 PM
Cult Addict

Really it's difficult to say what it would be. If I was to say the 1st thing to come to my head it would probably be fear and loathing in Las Vegas. But that's off the top of my head
keirarts and Vipp like this.
Old 16th April 2015, 01:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Just watched Red State:
I have to be honest I'm not a fan of Kevin Smiths work, but in saying that this is the best movie I have seen. The transition from horror to action was perfectly seamless. The acting was grand and I loved the use of black comedy.
I do like Smith's work, or at least all his films which include Jay and Silent Bob. Red State and that Bruce Willis one were abysmal in my opinion.

I didn't knpow there were new Clerks and Mallrats films on the way.
Vipp likes this.
Old 16th April 2015, 01:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Really it's difficult to say what it would be. If I was to say the 1st thing to come to my head it would probably be fear and loathing in Las Vegas. But that's off the top of my head
That is a great film! i love H.S.T, he was a great writer.

Like this? Share it using the links below!