Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2009, 09:57 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I think the unrated print of the original is superb.
Old 29th October 2009, 09:59 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i just ordered these off http://www.olivefilms.com/

not bad price really both for $61 and that's including the postage

Old 29th October 2009, 01:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Nice!
Have you used them before?
Good service?
Old 29th October 2009, 04:12 PM
Cult Rookie

Received these in the post yesterday:

Halloween blu-ray
Trick r Treat
Macabre
House by the Cemetery

Think i'll save them for saturday night
Old 29th October 2009, 05:31 PM
Ex-member

"Ripper: Letters from Hell"

Hmmmm....After a pretty good opening this then gets rather plodding (long running time for a horror film actually) for a while until coming to life again.

A killer sees to be offing obnoxious student types in ways similar to Jack the Ripper.
It has a few bloody moments and keeps you guessing.
The finale is chaotic, reveal filled, fun and the very end....well....seems to have really been the thing that has given this film any sort of profile.
I for one thought that very final twist (simply a 2 second scene before the credits) was pretty easy to understand and that the movie had a perfectly satisfying explanation.
But it seems other people have other ideas and much debate still goes on on-line.

A forgotten and generally hated sequel has a continuing (though not needed, the first film does end) plot that seems to confirm the obvious as well.

Not bad. Just average fare.

"Pathology"

Mark Neveldine & Brian Taylorhe, the writer/director's of the "Crank" movies push the boundaries again, only with not a trace of humour (black or otherwise) or comic strip craziness to be found.
Here they are only the writers, so perhaps the utter darkness seen here is down to the director Marc Schölermann.

A group of pathology students create a game where each commits a murder and the others have to autopsy the body to work out how the death was carried out.

True the story has a few possible plausibility issues but as a wallow in nastiness, nihilism and body fluids it's a well crafted slice of modern horror.
The fact it does not have any real energy or kinetic set-pieces means there is not any real excitement here and when added to the utter darkness, grit and grim content you can see why this basically vanished onto DVD. A fun night at the flicks this is not.

The FX are fantastically well done and the film clinically embraces the human corpse as a biological jigsaw, filled with foul stenches and stinking liquids.
And the attitude of the truly warped lead characters here (which means the film basically has no nice or sympathetic characters for most of its running time..another audience pleasing problem) is grotesque as far as any kind of sanctity or respect for human remains goes.
Brief flashes of violence and gore, or explicit sex romps on autopsy tables with the corpses lying a few feet away, are not the real uncomfortable aspects of the film...it's this attitude of someone's loved one being a macabre game where every part of them is a bloody playing piece.

There is no light here at all. It's a relentlessly grim wade through madness, callousness and pitch darkness.
That such a bleak and nihilistic, dour film got a few million dollars thrown at it (FX are top notch, the film looks glossy and chic and all is well crafted with solid, professional actors) is a miracle and shows that despite what many think there is a real up-turn in extreme horror filmmaking at the moment that's very welcome.

Well worth checking out if you are in the mood to wallow in the grimness of it all, just don't expect to be conventionally entertained or look forward to any fast paced thrills.
Old 29th October 2009, 09:37 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Nice!
Have you used them before?
Good service?
no i haven't but i just checked my email and they have shipped them already, ill let you know when they arrive
Old 29th October 2009, 10:11 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I juast saw Vanguard a low budget british apocolyptic horror film. The makers did really well with an obviously tight budget. Its a bit of a slow burner but the its never boring and theres some great 28 days later sytle zombie action. It shot digitally and the format has been used to prety good effect (it seems the cinematographer really knows how to fill a frame). It also makes you think something any good zombie flick should do.
Old 30th October 2009, 07:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE HORSEMEN and THE BIG BRAWL
Old 30th October 2009, 11:06 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

American Psycho 2

Been avoiding this for years as I was so let down by the original(was a huge fan of the book) especially the ending.

Picked it up for 2.50 and it was well worth the 2.50!
Great performance from Kunis who is fine throughout
Shatner is pretty good in it too.
No graphic gore in it though which was the biggest let down. Decent serial killer movie with lots of black humour
Old 30th October 2009, 11:43 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbv View Post
I was so let down by the original(was a huge fan of the book)
Curiously, I was the exact opposite: I hated the book with a passion but thought the film was great adapting a shoddy source into a fine picture.

Like this? Share it using the links below!