All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2015, 11:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

A Frank Capra classic and a film i'd never seen before. This comedy thriller is pure Hollywood gold. A tale of a newly married man who discovers his aunts are of the psychotic variety and insanity and murder run in his family.

Cary Grant, Peter Lorre and the whole cast are outstanding but the acting honours go to a superb Raymond Massey as the murderous cousin Johnathan in a role originally written for Boris Karloff who incidentally gets more than the odd mention throughout.

Despite being wickedly funny with some real laugh out loud moments the film is also incredibly sinister and atmospheric at times, including a jump scare at a window which really got me.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arsenic_And_Old_Lace_Poster.jpg (46.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 4th October 2015, 12:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Watching Nightmare On Elm Street the original. Does anyone else have the UK blu boxset??
Was hoping someone could have a check of their disc for me. At 39:13 my disc glitches and jumps to 39:40.
Wonder if I've got a faulty disc or is it a known error.
Mine definitely didn't do that!
Old 4th October 2015, 07:20 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Eaten Alive! The Rise and Fall of the Italian Cannibal Film

Bit too much cultural relativism, self-hatred and morally supreme windbaggery from some of the contributors for my liking. Very interesting to hear Me Me Lai's recollections and after watching many interviews with him I now think I could listen to Giovanni Lombardo Radice deliver the shipping forecast and find it captivating. Not that it came up in this documentary but apparently Me Me Lai was a co-hostess on UK 70s tv shows Golden Shot and Sale of the Century (if only the pleated floral skirt brigade watching at home knew!)
Old 4th October 2015, 07:25 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I love this film and saw it as a stage play several years ago. I went in with extreme reservations because I love the film so much and didn't see how it could be done stage, but it was excellent even without the all-star cast.
Old 4th October 2015, 10:22 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
Eaten Alive! The Rise and Fall of the Italian Cannibal Film

Not that it came up in this documentary but apparently Me Me Lai was a co-hostess on UK 70s tv shows Golden Shot and Sale of the Century (if only the pleated floral skirt brigade watching at home knew!)
That's where I first 'knew' her from

My mum and I used to love watching the quiz and game shows on telly
Demoncrat, keirarts and Zann like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th October 2015, 10:51 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A terrific film. Glad you enjoyed it, Dem.
Old 4th October 2015, 11:21 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

"It's been 20 years since the corporations took over the world's governments. Their thirst for power and profits led to the corporate wars, a fierce global battle that laid waste to society as we know it. Born from the ash, the Council of Nine rose as a new law and order for this dark age. To avenge the corporations' reckless destruction, the Council issues death warrants for all white collar criminals. Their hunter's - the BOUNTY KILLER. From amateur savage to graceful assassin, the BOUNTY KILLER'S now compete for body count, fame and a fat stack of cash. They're ending the plague of corporate greed by exterminating the self serving CEO and providing the survivors of the apocalypse with retribution. These are the new heroes. This is the age of the BOUNTY KILLER."

Not the greatest film ever made but still a surprisingly entertaining post-apocalyptic tale.
Gory as well.
Old 4th October 2015, 02:31 PM
Cult Veteran

My countdown to Halloween is getting off to a fine start with 5 viewings so far! Starting with Blair Witch, remember when we all thought this was real? Still packs a punch after all these years though, the first night after Josh goes missing and they can hear him shouting for help in the woods, I got goosebumps all over. My poor flatmate was scared to death haha!

Followed that up with Drag Me to Hell, first time for me, I thought it was fun, not a film to be taken seriously at all and it was fun to see Evil Dead-esque set-pieces in a major Hollywood movie. Dragged a bit in the middle, but talking goats and the whole plot point with the button in the envelope was fun.

Final Destination 3, first viewing for me also, how have I seen the other 4 but never 3? I love rollercoasters too. Not much to say, it's the same as the others, inventive death scenes with a lot of coincidences which you just need to not think about or the whole thing just falls apart! Put me off sunbeds for life though!

I decided to watch a Monster movie since I had an hour-ish to kill and there are still a few I've never seen from my Universal box set. So I grabbed The Mummy. For the first 30-40 minutes I was thrilled and Karloff as Imhotep was great, the next 20 minutes lost the plot completely though. This was a major dip in enjoyment until the last 10 minutes which were exciting again. It's not one of the best but it was still a good way to spend 70 mins on a Saturday.

Then the main event, Suspiria, one of the best horror movies made! First time my flatmate had seen an Argento. Coming out of the first set piece he turned to me and said "I love the way that this film looks, it's so gothic, but 70's". I replied that I was glad he felt that way because this film is a lesson in Style over substance. He loved the rest of it, I'm really happy because that opens the gate for me to inflict the others on him now! We both laughed at the bat as well... such a misstep in the otherwise perfect design of the film.

On a side note, is there another BD of Suspiria that looks better and is Region B friendly? Only my second time watching the Nouveaux disc, it looked OK the first time, but I think it was the hype of having it in HD, it's so over saturated that you actually lose definition, it's almost as if the film is over-exposed but the DVD (Anchor Bay) didn't look that way.

Going to watch Ginger Snaps tonight, first time for both me and my Scaretober Fest team mate

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th October 2015, 03:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I watched it a few weeks back and it definitely didn't do that, maybe the disc needs a clean (unless it's happened before that is)
Just checked my disc on both PS3 and PS4 and the same thing happens on both. Only 20 seconds or so but really annoying all the same. Does anyone know if the standalone disc is the same as the one in the boxset?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
Mine definitely didn't do that!
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th October 2015, 05:25 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Just checked my disc on both PS3 and PS4 and the same thing happens on both. Only 20 seconds or so but really annoying all the same. Does anyone know if the standalone disc is the same as the one in the boxset?
I just watched mine on that scene too, no issues, Nancy walks up the hill to the police station and looks through the window, no jumps.

As far as I know the standalone disc is the same as disc one in the collection, so perhaps you can pick up a used one from cex or something?
keirarts and J Harker like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!