Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179689Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th December 2015, 12:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

CUB – Eccentric and winning take on backwoods horror from Belgium. For a start, it's about a scout troupe. How many horror flicks are based on scout troupes? This may be 'Cub's only real first, but it's still quite a feat, particularly as the woggle coveters are portrayed in a refreshingly unsentimental light – as little fascists, or as being strange and possibly murderous. Speaking of which, 'Cub' follows one such runt (actually he's a bit more sympathetic than that, at least until the end) and explores the odd connection he has with a seemingly feral, mask wearing child from deep in the woods. The feral kid is apparently quite vicious, and we're given to ponder whether he's a projection of scout-kid's psyche, or whether there's something supernatural slash folkloric going on, or whether he's just an evil, f*cked up feral dude or what... the resolution of this mystery might be a little underwhelming, but it paves the way for a nastily nihilistic sucker punch of an ending and answers some other questions such as - “why is this Belgian forest full of elaborate traps and contraptions?” and also “in which film do I get to see a maniac use a massive truck to run over an entire scout troupe gathered cringing under a single tent?” Yes, that latter scene does exist and must count as one of the most baffling 'what just happened' moments in my recent viewing history, although equally bizarrely it seems to play entirely naturally in the context of the film. Despite all this argy bargy at the climax, 'Cub' is for the most part much more subtle, has a sly humour but never at the expense of an essentially quite dark mood. See it? Sure, go ahead!

TUSK – When I've sat down with Kevin Smith films in the past, it's been like staying a bit too long in the company of a brilliant but exasperating young person who annoys by being 1) much cleverer and hipper than me, but ultimately also by being 2) actually, objectively annoying anyway. I think stuff like 'Clerk's is great on a cinema level or whatever, but I can't get through that kind of thing without wincing deep down. That said, I really liked 'Red State', which was quite a departure for Smith but still felt like one of his. The same goes for 'Tusk'. It's basically about a hip young podcaster who might be brilliant in some way but is certainly exasperating. He travels to Canada to do an interview, but ends up waylaid by some ancient guy who regales him with tales of meeting Earnest Hemmingway etc etc. This ancient guy then imprisons annoying hipster podcaster and basically turns him into a walrus. Why? I don't know, maybe he has issues or something. Podcaster's girlfriend and his podcaster buddy team up with a comedy French Canadian ex detective and track his sorry fate. It's interesting to see Smith combine his off-hand wordy indieness with such surrealism, but also with much more standard B movie territory. There's something austere and freaky about the build up, but when I was watching the transformation scenes I thought less of Cronenberg or 'Human Centipede' and more of something like a Charles Band film. Horror stylistics may or may not be Smith's thing, but there's no doubting the eerie power of much of the content here, or rather, the impact it has by sometimes managing to be both hilarious and affecting... I think this is summed up by the end scene, where podcaster's now ex gf visits him in his new home, a really bleak, dilapidated animal sanctuary. The just-deserts angle is mocking, self referential and tongue in cheek, but it's also weirdly troubling. Anyway, 'Tusk' is great, I know his latter stuff is miles away from 'Chasing Amy' et al, but frankly I wish he just made films like this all the time.
Old 5th December 2015, 05:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Christmas Horror Marathon #1

Countess Perverse (1974)

One of 11 films director Jess Franco made and released in 1974, Countess Perverse is the Spanish auteur's take on the much filmed 1920's story The Most Dangerous Game.

Set on an island with a mansion of quite unique design, Franco adds his own touches to the well worn ideas already filmed, namely lots of sex bordering on hardcore (Even Howard Vernon gets his fingers dirty) and cannibalism.

For the first hour i was wondering what this had to do with The Most Dangerous Game and also why i'd saved it for my Christmas horror marathon as there was no horror to be seen. Fortunately the last third leaves the sleaze behind and we get a little gore and head sawing and a hunt across the island as Lina Romay's heroine is tracked down by the deadly Countess Zaroff as played by the lovely Alice Arno. In true Franco style both women are starkers however Arno carries a bow and arrow, although neither are ever strategically placed as to hide her modesty. I doubt Franco would allow it if they were though.

One of the film's strength's are the performances in particular Vernon and Arno as the Count and Countess Zaroff. Both come across with demented glee and seem to be having enormous fun.

Come the end Countess Perverse is an enjoyable film with perhaps too much shagging early on and too little plot development to be really classed as top level Franco. I still recommend it to all Francophiles though.

The dvd from Mondo Macabro is in the correct 1:33:1 aspect ratio and looks gorgeous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91pEg0+DYKL._SY445_.jpg (48.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 5th December 2015, 07:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Streets of Fire. A rock diva (Diane Lane) returning to put on a show in her dingy home town is kidnapped by a vicious motorcycle gang, and her boss (Rick Moranis) hires her mercenary ex-boyfriend (Michael Pare) to rescue her. Amy Madigan and Willem Dafoe co-star in this hugely entertaining 80s rock 'n' roll action-adventure. Great fun from start to finish and the music is fantastic. Awesomely 80s.
Old 5th December 2015, 08:35 PM
Cult Addict

DON JON.

The ultimate Cult Labs metaphor...a bloke wanks his life away in front of a computer screen unable to gain fulfilment within human relationships. However, he gets to f#ck Scarlett Johansson and Julianne Moore, you won't.

WILD CARD.

Jason Statham spoons several men to death in oddly unhomoerotic actioner.
Old 5th December 2015, 08:37 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Streets of Fire. A rock diva (Diane Lane) returning to put on a show in her dingy home town is kidnapped by a vicious motorcycle gang, and her boss (Rick Moranis) hires her mercenary ex-boyfriend (Michael Pare) to rescue her. Amy Madigan and Willem Dafoe co-star in this hugely entertaining 80s rock 'n' roll action-adventure. Great fun from start to finish and the music is fantastic. Awesomely 80s.

An amazing film. Pity it wasn't move successful, as they had wanted to do a trilogy, with the other films being called The Far City and Cody's Return. Still curious to see Albert Pyun's unofficial sequel, Road To Hell, if it ever gets a release.
MacBlayne, J Harker and iank like this.
Old 5th December 2015, 08:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449351652.060783.jpg

Star Trek The Motion(less) Picture.

Boring,boring, boring and I'm a die hard Star Trek fan so god knows how those who aren't would feel about it. Fails on nearly every level set design, costumes, story. Even if you have a good director in the form of Robert Wise even they can't polish a turd if everything else is lacking. This "story" was done so much better in TOS season 2 episode the changeling. Do your self a favour and just watch that. 5/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 5th December 2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 5th December 2015, 10:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
DON JON.

The ultimate Cult Labs metaphor...a bloke wanks his life away in front of a computer screen unable to gain fulfilment within human relationships. However, he gets to f#ck Scarlett Johansson and Julianne Moore, you won't.
Neither will you.
Old 5th December 2015, 10:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
WILD CARD.

Jason Statham spoons several men to death in oddly unhomoerotic actioner.
I think i reviewed this as a day in the life of the Stathe. As that's what it felt like when watching it.
Old 5th December 2015, 10:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Attachment 172901

Star Trek The Motion(less) Picture.

Boring,boring, boring and I'm a die hard Star Trek fan so god knows how those who aren't would feel about it. Fails on nearly every level set design, costumes, story. Even if you have a good director in the form of Robert Wise even they can't polish a turd if everything else is lacking. 5/10
I totally disagree with all this.

I saw it at the cinema as a child and would have agreed with you back then.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 5th December 2015, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I totally disagree with all this.

I saw it at the cinema as a child and would have agreed with you back then.
Strangely I liked it as a kid, now it just bores me
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!