Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180596Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2016, 06:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Island (1980 )

The Island (1980)

We all remember that period in Michael Caine's career where he seemed to be in every film made during the late 1970's to mid 1980's,from fighting killer Bee's in The Swarm to cross dressing in Dressed To Kill and helping Pele Escape to Victory he seemed to be every where.In The Island Caine yet again doesn't bother changing his accent and plays journalist Blair Maynard who takes his gun loving son Jeffrey Frank as Justin Maynard to the Bermuda Triangle of the Caribbean. to investigate several missing boats. What he finds is a bunch of British television actors lead by David Warner playing pirates and robbing rich holiday makers while there out on fishing trips.Caine is well,Caine,there was a period when he gave up acting and just seemed to play himself in what ever film he was in,luckily his considerable acting talents are not particularly strained in The Island. Based on a Peter Benchly novel The Island starts off rather well with a group of fishermen having there boat hijacked and getting an axe squarely in the face.Unfortunately that initial scary set piece is few and far between and once Caine's character is kidnapped and turned into Angela Punch McGregor ( Beth ) personnel sex slave ,the film does falter with Caine seemingly unable to muster the energy to escape or act . But the film does pick up pace later on as the pirates go about doing things that pirates do,ie attack passing ships and boats and make off with there ill gotten gains. The island unfortunately does not live up to its rather marvelous cinema poster with its knife clutching hand coming out of the sea,but to be fair Caine is always watchable and does have some cracking lines of dialogue and towards the end it does go all a bit Wild Bunch with Caine machine gunning down his opponents,not exactly required viewing but interesting entry in man who would be king career.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheIsland.jpg (100.1 KB, 2 views)

Old 24th June 2016, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Seven-Ups (1973)

Roy Scheider stars as Buddy Manucci. The leader of a band of ruthless rogue New York cops who get the jobs the regular boys in blue can't handle.

The Seven-Ups is a typical 70's New York cop film, a co-Italian production, it clearly has influences in the Italian crime films of the era as well as Bullitt and The French Connection, in fact director Philip D'Antoni even ropes in old favourite Joe Spinell as one of the bad guys.

The film features one of the best car chases i can remember seeing as Scheider chases the sadistic Richard Lynch about the city. It's breathtaking stuff with terrific cinematography and lasts for several minutes. I'll be surprised if you don't swear and gasp to yourself as it reaches it's shattering conclusion, i know i did.

It's a while since i saw a 70's cop film and The Seven-Ups came as a breath of fresh air. Definitely one for the collection. Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ad544dfd-b51e-4d15-b3eb-18123fc01072.jpg (76.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th June 2016, 10:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Jim Mickle is an excellent director, Cold In July is also very good.
I echo that!
Old 24th June 2016, 10:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Has anyone seen Independence Day: Resurgence yet?
Justin101 likes this.
Old 24th June 2016, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Has anyone seen Independence Day: Resurgence yet?
I have a mate who saw it yesterday night.

He said

Quote:
Will never win an Oscar but was good fun. You do see Brent Spiners ass which I was seriously not expecting!
His wife thought it was poor.
Justin101, Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 24th June 2016, 10:49 PM
Cult Veteran

I went this evening. It was fun, obviously it's not a 'good film' but it kept me entertained and I was happy when I left which is a good sign.

So yeah, I saw it and I enjoyed it!
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th June 2016, 10:58 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
I echo that!
I do as well. Huge fan of his work. WE ARE WHAT WE ARE is one of my favorites of the last few years, and COLD IN JULY is a great adaptation of a book by my favorite author. Mickle has a real grasp of the "darkness" that lurks in the American South. I would kill to get one of my books in his hands.
Old 24th June 2016, 11:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
I do as well. Huge fan of his work. WE ARE WHAT WE ARE is one of my favorites of the last few years, and COLD IN JULY is a great adaptation of a book by my favorite author. Mickle has a real grasp of the "darkness" that lurks in the American South. I would kill to get one of my books in his hands.
Mulberry Street is also great.
Demoncrat, keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 24th June 2016, 11:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I went this evening. It was fun, obviously it's not a 'good film' but it kept me entertained and I was happy when I left which is a good sign.

So yeah, I saw it and I enjoyed it!
Cool, I am definitely not expecting an oscar winner going into it, if it serves as good slice of fun where aliens get blown up and I can switch my brain off then that is more than enough to satisfy me!
Old 25th June 2016, 10:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cooties. Elijah Wood is a substitute teacher about to have a very bad day when a virus begins turning pre-teens into ravenous zombies. Mildly amusing gimmick zombie comedy horror but ultimately fairly mediocre.

Like this? Share it using the links below!