Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2018, 04:30 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

1_nQ7y4Mf0dY975zJ1jKLxAQ (1).jpeg

In a ghost town called bad city a son living with the burden of looking after his drug addicted father is feeling more and more lost and confused questioning his very existence until he comes into contact with a very strange and mysterious woman and his life changes suddenly feeling a sence if worth of belonging and purpose.

I gotta say this blew me away its a spellbinding beautiful love story filled with melancholy. It's a very slow moody trip that needs to be experienced some of the imagery is so romantic and really makes an impact that only black and white could capture.

8/10

221.jpg
Old 18th March 2018, 04:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched the last of the Outlaw films; Outlaw: Kill, in Arrow's Outlaw VIP set and quite enjoyed it, probably my 2nd favourite after Outlaw VIP 2, with the first film, Outlaw VIP being my third favourite.

8/10.
Old 18th March 2018, 06:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A Better Way to Die (2000)

A Chicago cop ends up quitting the force when mafia heat becomes too strong. Attempting to get away he basically takes off across country with the mob in pursuit.

Here in 2018 they don't seem to make films like this anymore. Action packed fun filled thrill rides with plenty of shoot out's, excitement and violence, played out by a cast many of us will have heard of including Lou Diamond Phillips, Natasha Henstridge and Joe Pantoliano, although the lead is actually played by actor / director / writer, Scott Wiper, an unknown to me at least, who does fine in a role which could easily have been earmarked for say Bruce Willis or Kurt Russell in their heyday.

A Better Way to Die is formulaic but still a very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. Recommended to all those who miss the eighties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 512M6FK73VL._SY445_.jpg (36.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 18th March 2018, 06:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

On recent subject of Army of Darkness I've still got a good few hundreds of films at my mums that I haven't brought of with me yet , and was having a look through and I didn't realise I had the two disc version with both cuts of the film
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51gJ1-NpQ4L._SY445_.jpg (49.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 18th March 2018, 07:32 PM
Cult Master

aenigma.jpg

After a prank goes wrong the school weirdo is left in a coma but is her mind still active in other ways and is it connecting with the new girl at the school exacting her revenge on those responsible for her current state.

I'm going to be totally honest here I have a phobia of slugs and snails so this was a hard watch for me CHRIST my stomach is still in a knot definitely the hardest thing I have ever had to watch

I gotta say I found this pretty dull and non eventful definitely one of the weaker Fulci films I have seen all I can say is f**k snails and f**k this film for making me watch that scene

0/10 for snails

5 /10 for a pretty forgettable affair snails aside.
Old 18th March 2018, 09:02 PM
Cult Addict

The New Barbarians
A group of mad max rejects drive in golf carts murdering people. A not mad max man with a car that was the love child of the interceptor and that car homer made in the simpsons is out to stop them.
I was just creased throughout this with my mate. It is awfully great schlock.
6/10

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 19th March 2018, 12:34 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Karate Kid Part II (1986)

*** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 19th March 2018, 07:27 AM
Cult Addict

Tomb raider

It's....ok. Essentially its a videogame adaptation and as such it lacks any sort of depth. Alicia Vikander is lovely as Lara croft who after a lengthy and pointless bike chase through London decides to head off and find her long lost father. Her journey leads her to a remote island where a group of mercenaries are trying to unearth an ancient tomb.
Its pretty much a bunch of stunts with some iffy CG. Shit blows up here and there and Vikander gets to kill a bunch of people with bow and arrow and at one point her bare hands. Its fairly forgettable and given the box office probably won't get a sequel. Its not terrible either and frankly if your looking for something to switch your brain off and watch then you could do worse. Walton Goggins plays the villain and frankly looks bored, I don't really blame him as he has one of the most underwritten roles in the film.
Old 19th March 2018, 07:50 AM
Cult Addict

Lost souls

Following a group of Illegal immigrants escaping mainland China to get to the relative freedom of Hong Kong, Lost Souls quickly becomes a trial by ordeal. The characters are caught by various gangs and if they don't have contacts in Hong Kong they're raped and tortured by their sadistic captors.
Its pretty much a straight up exploitation film. It has the pretence of addressing social issues from the beginning but quite quickly its clear the film is more interested in delivering a gruelling experience to its audience that is genuinely hard to forget. Its a decent film. Well shot and written. The acting is mostly decent and it has a genuinely bleak ending. However be aware going in your getting a whole lot of rape and abuse.

Corpse mania

A necrophiliac serial killer has escaped the local nut house and is targeting the girls from the local brothel. A tough street cop is on the case and aims to catch the madman before he can do too much damage.
The film is given a period setting, some point in the 1920's. Its beautifully shot with some great locations that are dripping with atmosphere. The director was apparently influenced by Mario Bava and its very believable when you watch the film which plays very much as a Hong Kong made Giallo picture with plenty of blood and a nicely paced running time just under 90 minutes. This one is definitely worth checking out.

Human Lanterns

Two rival swordsman are constantly attempting to one up each other. As they're both 'heroes' its not a flat out fist fight as one might expect rather social competitions with wealth and women.
Keen to beat his rival in an upcoming Lantern festival one of the men approaches a local Lantern maker to commission a Lantern that will win. He discovers the Lantern maker is an old enemy he bested in combat but is keen to win so commissions him anyway. The Lantern maker is carrying a huge grudge however and begins killing of the women in the other swordsmans life making it look like his enemy has finally snapped and taken the rival to a deadly new stage. The lantern maker still carries on making the lantern. Only he's using the skin of his victims as the raw materials.
Human Lanterns is an odd little movie. On one hand its a straight up kung fu flick with a morality tale buried in its narrative. However its also a horror. The lantern maker don's a demon mask when he goes out kidnapping and the silent slow motion movements of him hopping about in wire-fu style is genuinely creepy and the fact that he's skinning his victims gives it a nasty edge you don't often see in kung fu pictures.

Killer snakes

A Hong Kong take on films like Willard and Stanley. A nutter with some real BDSM fantasies gets mugged and thinks he's lost the love of his life all on the same day. He's also befriended some snakes he's saved from the neighbouring pharmacy where they are harvested for their gall bladders. The snakes take a liking to their new friend and they begin helping him getting revenge on everyone who has wronged him.
Another shaw brothers exploitation picture. This one has a sleazy, sweaty tone to it that makes it uncomfortable viewing. It feels like one influenced by the sort of Grimey exploitation pictures that were coming out of new york at the time. The 'bad guys' are all street hustlers, pimps and whores and the sleazy vibe gives it a real 42nd street feel. Not as good as calamity of snakes though.
Old 19th March 2018, 08:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Tomb raider

It's....ok. Essentially its a videogame adaptation and as such it lacks any sort of depth. Alicia Vikander is lovely as Lara croft who after a lengthy and pointless bike chase through London decides to head off and find her long lost father. Her journey leads her to a remote island where a group of mercenaries are trying to unearth an ancient tomb.
Its pretty much a bunch of stunts with some iffy CG. Shit blows up here and there and Vikander gets to kill a bunch of people with bow and arrow and at one point her bare hands. Its fairly forgettable and given the box office probably won't get a sequel. Its not terrible either and frankly if your looking for something to switch your brain off and watch then you could do worse. Walton Goggins plays the villain and frankly looks bored, I don't really blame him as he has one of the most underwritten roles in the film.
It tickles me how people on internet jump in and make comments to make you look small without putting their brain in gear first , and only end up making themselves look stupid (numpty keyboard warriors without a clue )
There was a article other day about Tomb raider and people complaining about her boobs looking small ,
https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/03/15...-small-idiots/
So I made a comment who cares I be more interested if the film was any good , so someone asked if I seen it I replied not yet , then went on a rant and called me a idiot and complained I can't make statements like that if I haven't seen the film so shut up, clearly they haven't got a clue to what my statement meant , and no point did I say I had seen the film or say if it was good or not I said I be more interested if the film was any good or not, clearly some people miss the point of people statements and clearly need to give their heads a shake and engage their brain first before saying anything

Like this? Share it using the links below!