Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2016, 06:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
You're denying yourself a real treat if you don't watch 'Zombies: The Beginning' until xmas or beyond (note potential use of heavy sarcasm somewhere in this sentence). It's entertainingly bad, but it's not as out to lunch overall as 'Island...', at least in that it seems held together by a perfunctory competence and just doesn't have those awful lines and, yes, hula dancing zombies. Goes completely crazy at the end though(after possibly seeming like a gory but standard zombie shoot-'em-up up to then). You must like your festivities a certain way if you figure it'll bring on the christmas cheer in your household.
Oh yes. Hula dancing zombies are a festive highlight in Lancashire. Can't believe they haven't caught on over the border yet.
Old 1st March 2016, 06:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Oh yes. Hula dancing zombies are a festive highlight in Lancashire. Can't believe they haven't caught on over the border yet.

We just burn piles of disused tyres at our end.
Old 2nd March 2016, 02:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

X312 - Flight to Hell (1971)

A plane crashes in the South American jungle. As the survivors attempt to reach safety, it seems some have secrets they'd rather keep from the others. Meaning headhunters and revolutionaries might be the least of their worries.

X312 is a fun action adventure. For the most part Franco dispenses with the sex and amazingly Lina Romay too, in this bullet strewn romp. Once the plane crashes (You don't actually see the plane crash of course, this is a Jess Franco film) the plot dives straight into character development and things do fall a little flat, however Franco does know how to wake males, well, me anyway, up from their slumber - he gets the voluptuous Esperanza Roy to bathe in the river.

Despite it steering clear of the usual softcore fumblings, being a Jess Franco film there is plenty of nudity and even the odd scene of girl on girl action (Good old Esperanza ), however the bulk of the second half of the film is thankfully well staged action as the survivors attempt to flee from Howard Vernon's armed revolutionaries.

Of the rest of the cast, Fernando Sancho, a veteran Spanish actor most famous for bandit roles in westerns is a suitably sleazy villain and also the planes steward, and Tom Hunter, who went on to write the excellent Kirk Douglas film The Final Countdown (1980) makes for a typically heroic type. Another of Franco's regulars, the excellent Paul Muller, also pops up in a small but pivotal role as the film takes a left field turn in the final act.

X312 - Flight to Hell isn't a great film but as a diversion from the norm for the director it's well worth seeking out for fans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 511QMTMK65L.jpg (57.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 2nd March 2016, 09:46 PM
Cult Addict

The 7th Victim. Discussion of Val Lewton on the top ten Tuesday thread got me in the mood for another of Lewtons pics. Unfortunately i picked this tale of a satanic cult in Manhattam and I'm sorry to say its the weakest Lewton production I've yet seen. Just slow and uninteresting, dull characters doing stupid things.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 2nd March 2016, 09:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
The 7th Victim. Discussion of Val Lewton on the top ten Tuesday thread got me in the mood for another of Lewtons pics. Unfortunately i picked this tale of a satanic cult in Manhattam and I'm sorry to say its the weakest Lewton production I've yet seen. Just slow and uninteresting, dull characters doing stupid things.
Apologies J, but i totally disagree with you. The 7th Victim is superb.
Old 2nd March 2016, 09:54 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Damn straight!
Old 2nd March 2016, 09:56 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
No apologies required my good man! From what i gather 7th Victim is considered by many to be one of Lewtons finest productions. Up there with Zombie. And i find it a little frustrating that I'm not impressed with either. I've still got Bedlam, The Ghost Ship and The Leopard Man to watch so I'm hoping for bigger things from them.
Old 2nd March 2016, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
No apologies required my good man! From what i gather 7th Victim is considered by many to be one of Lewtons finest productions. Up there with Zombie.
Now if you'd just said that in the first place we'd have admired and respected your astute judgement.
J Harker likes this.
Old 2nd March 2016, 10:02 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Now if you'd just said that in the first place we'd have admired and respected your astute judgement.
Erm...
Old 2nd March 2016, 10:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Erm...
Even this would have shown you in a more favorable light to your forum colleagues.
keirarts and J Harker like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!