Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179634Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th November 2013, 08:34 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Yeah, I really liked it. In fact, I think you reminded me of its existence in a recentish post, so thanks for inspiring me to go out and get it. I haven't seen the sequel, but if it's as much fun as the original I'll give it a go.
As far as i'm aware the only way to get it is on the American double bill with the first film. Its always been incredibly cheap.

What strikes me with both films is Anthony Hickox clear love and appreciation of the genre. They are genuinely fun and entertaining to watch.
Old 4th November 2013, 09:57 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I watched Robocop last night, haven't seen it since I was 10 years old. Such a brutal and also brilliant movie, Peter Weller was amazing however when Kurtwood Smith appeared he stole the show as Clarence Boddicker.
Old 4th November 2013, 12:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
ALUCARDA - Weird horror from seventies Mexico has a strange fairy tale atmosphere and is a sort of mix of nunsploitation and post-Exorcist horror but with its eye on a far more surreal horizon (I think the director had something to do with Jodorowsky at some point). It features nuns in odd menstrual gowns, girls dallying with the devil and some really harsh screaming. Really is worth a look for those who haven't already checked it out, very intense in places although gets a little baggy around the middle and can't quite sustain itself.

WAXWORK - The sixteen year old Frankie used to turn his nose up at this back in the mid-nineties when a tenth generation copy of 'In A Glass Cage' was all that was dreamed of. I've since learned the error of my ways and can now enjoy this trashy weirdness for what it is ie. a fairly novel mash up involving high school teen angst and campy monsterdom, but with a surprisingly crazed feel to it in places and some nice gore and toe dipping transgression for the overly cutesy nineties. I liked the 'portmanteau' aspect and the full on monster onslaught at the end. I say, go for it!

DEEP IN THE WOODS - I think this was part of that 'New French Splatter' wave of the early noughties. First time with it for me, and I have to say I really liked. It's essentially a slasher flick which riffs on 'Little Red Riding Hood' and features a bitchy young acting troupe being progressively whittled down by a dude in a wolf outfit in a house. The film's style (with multiple nods to the baroque orchestrations of Argento ) and dark quirks (an omnipresent autistic kid with an eerie stare) provide the focus, and a claustrophobic ambience takes centre stage. Very good.

BUNDY - The Matthew Bright film from 2002. Starts off looking like it might do a slightly twisted tongue in cheek number on the man and his crimes, and to an extent it does, but it ends up being utterly disturbing, particularly in the last half hour, with its barbaric state execution preparation. In fact, out of pretty much all the films I've seen recently, it left me with that slightly hollow, numb feeling that a really hard hitting piece of dark cinema can sometimes impart. Definitely worth checking out.

STOKER - I was actually really impressed by this mainstream effort, which manages to be a bit twisted, or at least as twisted as a film starring Nicole Kidman has any right to be. There are sickly undertones lurking beneath the crisply elegant semi-art house veneer erected by Oldboy director Chan-Wook Park and the whole thing seems a stylish excursion into incest weirdness which I'm looking forward to watching again soon if I can if only for fairness's sake as unfortunately I was half cut when I saw it.
Love me that Mexican minx. Bundy I hated and would rather watch CP than sit through that shit again. Am champing at the bit for Stoker.
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th November 2013, 02:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Some more from 50 chilling classics, with any luck I will finish this set by the end of the year and can start on the other five, 50 movies boxsets I own.

Funeral home

A yonng lady helps her grandmother run a converted funeral home as a bed and breakfast, the girl starts to investigate when guests start to disappear and see hears strange sounds coming from the basement. 5/10

Lady Frankenstein

A Italian hammer just with a lot more sex a nudity than a hammer movie. I actually really enjoyed this and Frankensteins daughter is a wicked and perverse woman who makes her father seem completely sane. The dirty bint can't keep her clothes on, after her fathers monster escapes see decides to make her own creature from the body of the handy man and the brain of her fathers helper. I hope it gets a blu ray release. Joseph Cotten play the father. 8.5/10

Silent night bloody night

Bad picture quality but I enjoyed this festive slasher with a great atmosphere and story, mind the bad picture quality added to the atmosphere of the falshback scenes. 7/10

Panic

Story of a scientist who turns into a flesh eating monster, we also have a back story of trying to stop the creature before the government decide to bomb the town. David warbeck is the hero, who will be knowing to many here for his roles in genre classics the beyond, the black cat and twins of evil, his character is called Captain Kirk 6.5/10

Cathy's curse

Basically Audrey rose meets Carrie . A little girl is possessed by her fathers dead sister and soon people around the girl start to die and other spooky things start happening 6/10

The alpha incident

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 2/10

The demons of Ludlow
Story of a piano possessed by the spirt of dead warlock, a lot better than it sounds, with a lot of ghostly going ons and some gruesome deaths and some nudity 7/10

The cold

Zzzzzzzzzz 2/10

The hearse

Joseph cotton again in the story of a woman who inherits her aunts home who was believed to of been a witch, she is shunned by the locals and has mysterious visions of people and is haunted by a black hearse. 5/10
Old 4th November 2013, 02:59 PM
Cult Master

I have a rare afternoon off!

I have already watched:

Detriot Rock City (1999)
Set in 1978, a group of American teens have tickets to see the band KISS in concert. However, disaster strikes when the bible-bashing mother of one of them discovers the tickets and burns them

What follows is a bad taste road trip to Detriot as the teens vow to get to the show WHATEVER IT TAKES!

A wonderful soundtrack (KISS, Van Halen, Sabbath, Bowie, UFO, BOC etc) and many laugh out loud moments

Psycho Beach Party (2000)
A gay/transgender pastiche of 1950/60 beach party movies

An 'all-American-girl', with a split personality, thinks that she might be responsible for a series of mysterious deaths in her beach-side town. But is she? Who knows?? Who cares!!!!

Again, it has a great 1950's pastiche soundtrack

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th November 2013, 03:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Greenskeeper (2003)

Rich kids who get up to no good at the local country club are routinely slayed by the mysterious, murderous greenskeeper.

An enjoyable slasher film for the undemanding low budget movie buff. The snobbier than usual victims are all pleasingly offed in various and at times inventive ways. I loved the couple making out next to the eighteenth hole. The killer makes fine use of the course hole cutter and leaves the corpses with the flag waving in the breeze.

The films main let down was the kids as they were all pretty generic with no stand out characters. However this didn't really matter as they weren't afraid of nudity or dying horribly. With its rather attractive country club location the film takes the low budget slasher out of the woods / warehouse / high school (delete as applicable) therefore belying its meagre budget restrictions.

The film continues in the great slasher traditions by having the most convoluted who-dunnit final reel possible.

Clocking in at a slender 82 minutes The Greenskeeper doesn't outstay its welcome and is a fun, bloody way to waste your time for those like me who love this sort of thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greenskeeper_xlg.jpg (97.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 4th November 2013, 05:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

About to go in and see Thor 2
trebor8273, Dave Boy and troggi like this.
Old 4th November 2013, 06:08 PM
Cult Master

Rare evening off #2

Status Quo - Pictures live in Montreux 2009

A great concert, featuring songs from the 60's until the late 00's

Three chords never sounded so good!

Oh - I have discovered the hidden stash of Southern Comfort, so any more posts in this thread tonight should be taken with a pinch of salt, and acknowledgement that I may not be entirely sober!!!!!

Old 4th November 2013, 08:07 PM
Cult Master

Rare evening off #3

Texas Chainsaw (2013)

Blimey! I know I'd been led to believe that this was bad, but...

Makes me want to go and re-watch the Michael Bay produced version!!!!

Leatherface as a victim, and then a hero!!!

NO!!!!

And no - this isn't alcohol talking

Old 4th November 2013, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Rare evening off #3

Texas Chainsaw (2013)

Blimey! I know I'd been led to believe that this was bad, but...

Makes me want to go and re-watch the Michael Bay produced version!!!!

Leatherface as a victim, and then a hero!!!

NO!!!!

And no - this isn't alcohol talking
I must be one of the few people who enjoyed it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!