All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2022, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The House on Skull Mountain (1974)

A fun blacksploitation Witchcraft film / murder mystery in which four family members are called to hear the reading of a will at yes, a house on Skull Mountain (Called as such because it totally resembles a skull). Told they have to stay for a week to hear the reading the family members find themselves stalked by a cloaked spectral skeletal figure.

I've seen this a couple of times now and always enjoy it. The characters are good and although the story is pretty slight it never feels like time is wasted. My only slight complaint is i think the voodoo scenes at the end go on for too long without anything happening other than dancing.

However for a PG rated horror from the seventies, The House on Skull Mountain works a treat.
Old 7th June 2022, 10:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The House on Skull Mountain (1974)

A fun blacksploitation Witchcraft film / murder mystery in which four family members are called to hear the reading of a will at yes, a house on Skull Mountain (Called as such because it totally resembles a skull). Told they have to stay for a week to hear the reading the family members find themselves stalked by a cloaked spectral skeletal figure.

I've seen this a couple of times now and always enjoy it. The characters are good and although the story is pretty slight it never feels like time is wasted. My only slight complaint is i think the voodoo scenes at the end go on for too long without anything happening other than dancing.

However for a PG rated horror from the seventies, The House on Skull Mountain works a treat.
Never seen this but it has popped up a few times, after your review, will certainly check it out
Old 7th June 2022, 11:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Sinful Dwarf. 1973.

Olaf and his mother Lila run a boarding house and have a room in the attic that they use to enslave women for sex. A young couple take up residency with them, Olaf and Lila slowly begin to take a shine to the young girl.

I saw a trailer for this I think on one of the Grindhouse trailers dvd, so I knew it would be bad, straight from the lovely country of Denmark, this was a bizarre movie. right from the start Olaf picks up what seems to be a teen, in reality you can tell she is over 25, takes her home to show her his collection of stuffed toys and does a killing deed just about.

Anne Sparrow and Peter Eades plays the young couple who hear noises but brush it off and don't investigate till it's too late and are unaware that little Olaf is a peeping tom. Clara Keller plays Lila who thinks she can sing (it's like stragling a cat) and goes over the top at the end. Torben Bille plays the main character who can put Chucky and Norman Bates to shame, he doesn't discriminate who he kills and even uses his walking stick as a sex object.

This was the unrated hardcore version and yes everything is shown which surprised me but for streaming online these places can show anything and everything.

116846537.jpg
Old 7th June 2022, 11:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

“Urban Legends : Bloody Mary”

Obv not as good as the original “Urban Legend”, but was it just me or is this better than the first sequel? That spider scene was crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8th June 2022, 02:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
“Urban Legends : Bloody Mary”

Obv not as good as the original “Urban Legend”, but was it just me or is this better than the first sequel? That spider scene was crazy!

I feel I should elaborate - I really loved the first Urban Legend film, but have only watched 2&3 since getting the 88 Films box set. The 2nd movie feels so limp compared to the first, it felt like there weren’t actually any urban legend kills, and the ‘link’ back to the first film really felt so tedious and straw clutching. The 3rd movie was almost like it was the film that characters were making during the 2nd movie. Good kill scenes linked together with a simple story that skirted the line between slasher and supernatural. Obviously low budget with basic CGI, but overall good

Old 8th June 2022, 03:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Mephisto Waltz (1971)

Based on the novel by Fred Mustard Stewart, the story follows a deranged concert pianist (Curt Jurgens), dying of leukemia whose lust for his daughter (Barbara Parkins) and devotion to devil-worship destroy the marriage of writer Alan Alda and Jacqueline Bisset.

To revive his sexual mojo, Jurgens has Alda killed, then assumes his body via a ceremony of Witchcraft. As the film progresses Bisset finally realizes something is amiss after her daughter dies in mysterious circumstances. Alda/Jurgens starts getting ruthless in bed, and the ex-husband of Parkins (Bradford Dillman) tells her, before his untimely death, of a monster child miscarried by Parkins and sired by her father.

This is a decidedly offbeat occult thriller. Witchcraft scenes are well done and suitably spooky, but the standouts are the surreal hallucination sequences which are as Gothic as any Hammer film. A heavy sense of doom pervades this bizarre film thanks to some left-field cinematography and eerie music, as well as some truly shocking set pieces courtesy of director Paul Wendkos. Alda lacks the dangerous edge his character demands but Bisset's performance is chillingly effective. And that dog! That dog is just f*cking weird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poster_of_The_Mephisto_Waltz_(film).jpg (22.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 8th June 2022, 05:16 PM
Cult Veteran

I’ve always been intrigued by this one (but never seen it) due to the awesome poster. Will have to check it out some day soon.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th June 2022, 05:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I’ve always been intrigued by this one (but never seen it) due to the awesome poster. Will have to check it out some day soon.
Is it Signal One who released it on Blu?

I watched it as part of a MGM Midnite Movies double bill dvd with The House on Skull Mountain.

It's not one i'd be looking to upgrade particularly. But if i saw it in Cex for a fiver then that's a different matter.
Old 8th June 2022, 05:37 PM
Cult Veteran

It was Signal One yes, don’t often see them around in the shops these days, I think they’ve taken their product out of HMV like Eureka and Indicator did after the takeover.

It was included in one of the last £6 sales in Fopp about 3 years ago and I never bought it

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th June 2022, 05:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It was Signal One yes, don’t often see them around in the shops these days, I think they’ve taken their product out of HMV like Eureka and Indicator did after the takeover.

It was included in one of the last £6 sales in Fopp about 3 years ago and I never bought it
£6 sales. "Sigh".

Now £9 is classed as a sale.

I did notice that Amazon have Landis' Schlock at £7.99 today. I wonder if Amazon are trying to get rid of a few Arrow releases.

Like this? Share it using the links below!