Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2022, 06:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
VS put it out a couple of months ago; dunno about streaming. Uh, it's very 'marmite', I would definitely try for some kind of preview before shelling out if you were interested in acquiring. Just happens to be my kind of thing.
Thanks. I'm off importing at the moment. There's too much UK stuff i want to get and not enough cash to go round.
Old 8th April 2022, 06:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Thanks. I'm off importing at the moment. There's too much UK stuff i want to get and not enough cash to go round.
Know what you mean. Got it as part of my last import splurge - my next is due in six months! At least I have a pile of energy-rich shite DVDs I can use as a fuel alternative if my bills are hiked again in the meantime.
Old 8th April 2022, 10:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Breakheart Pass (1975)

Charles Bronson's at his best here in this classic yarn based on the best selling Alistair Maclean novel.

A fast paced, action packed, mystery western set in frontier era Rocky Mountain territory. Bronson is on a train where one by one the passengers are murdered, but for what reason? Naturally Bronson is the number one suspect but it quickly becomes clear he's probably the only innocent man on the train as the passage through Indian country becomes a fight for survival.

Richard Crenna, Ben Johnson and Jill Ireland head the cast alongside Bronson in this classy snowbound western adventure that for the most part is as much a slasher film as it is western adventure.

The Eureka Blu-ray is definitely a step up from the dvd i used to own. Going to have a look at the Kim Newman 25 minute interview* in a while before completing my Ben Johnson / train slasher film double bill with Terror Train which arrived today.

*Probably not really an interview. I expect he simply talks solidly for 25 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breakheart_Pass_1975.jpg (33.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 8th April 2022, 10:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

World War Z (2013)

Once you get over the fact that this is a largely gore free zombie film, Marc Forster's movie is actually very good. Brad Pitt stars as a former UN something or other forced to the far corners of the world (Well, South Korea, Jerusalem and Cardiff) in an attempt to find the cause of what appears to be a zombie pandemic that's changing the worlds population into swarms of the undead.

What it lacks in blood and guts it makes up for in thrills and spills with some brilliantly tension packed sequences not to mention the scale of the film which is epic, especially masses of the undead scaling the walled city of Jerusalem like hordes of ants.

As far as zombie films go it's kinda light weight but never the less some of it is genuinely jaw dropping in it's execution.

Finally, it always cracks me up that Peter Capaldi's doctor is credited as W.H.O. Doctor in the end titles.
Old 9th April 2022, 04:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

ASTOUNDINGSHEMONSTER4.jpg
THE ASTOUNDING SHE MONSTER (1958)

A spacecraft lands in a remote area near a cabin where a group of crooks are holding an heiress hostage. A strange female figure is seen around the cabin and her touch can kill..
AIP movie that went out on a double bill with VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT.
Low budget but I always enjoy this movie. No way was the movie ever going to be like the excellent poster. What we have is a woman in a skintight body suit and a shimmer effect over her. After the She Monster lays seige the cabin, the final moments are quite sad as there is a twist to the story.
Old 9th April 2022, 04:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Terror Train (1980)

I have a weird relationship with Terror Train. I don't actually think it's all that great, in fact for a slasher film the bloodletting is minimal, even worse, annoying high schoolers are at a maximum. Despite all the flaws it's a film i can't help returning to and the 88 Films Blu-ray is my latest ticket on the terror train.

It hardly goes at a blistering pace, in fact for seventy minutes the train pretty much trundles along the track with only Oscar winner Ben Johnson offering anything in the way of decent acting although second billed Jamie Lee Curtis is okay. Even the killer isn't a mystery thanks to a pre-title sequence that gives the game away within five minutes as to who will be killing pissed up teens (and magician David Copperfield) on this party train of terror.

However the last twenty minutes are a vast improvement as the killer hunts down Ms. Curtis in the now empty railway carriages and finally director Roger Spottiswoode gives us some atmospheric thrills and spills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_mbyuydz6sy1qzr8nao1_12801.jpg (32.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 9th April 2022, 04:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Terror Train (1980)

However the last twenty minutes are a vast improvement as the killer hunts down Ms. Curtis in the now empty railway carriages and finally director Roger Spottiswoode gives us some atmospheric thrills and spills.
Yeah, these last moments of the movie sort of make it all worth while.
Old 9th April 2022, 05:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Son Of Frankenstein (1939, Rowland V. Lee)

Easily the best looking of all the sequels imho. the Expressionism is strong with this one etc.
What's a boy to do? You've inherited a castle (and a few ... other things) and life couldn't be betterer .... surely?
Lugosi just captivates as Ygor, alternately pathetic and menacing, Atwill as stiff as a board and Karloff's last turn as the creature is laced with pathos because of this imho.
Not seen this? Recommended. Annual viewing.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th April 2022, 06:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Found this on Amazon prime see it had Donald Pleasance in thought I would give it a go, here he plays a bonkers scientist who experiments on people trying to make a human / plant hybrid because he loves plants so much he has a hard on for them , he is assisted in his evil deeds by a deformed man from a freaks circus who is played by the one and only Tom Baker which is quite appropriate as it feels like 70s Dr who at times the monster does seem it's out of Dr who but is still very interesting looking. Not the greatest but enjoyable in a strange way.

Steve Martin plays a lawyer who is possessed by the spirit of he's greedy and self centered client who just happens to be a woman , as time goes on the two begin to bound and she starts to get the life she never experienced as she was ill all her life, being betrayed the set out to find her a body too live in. While not Martin's best and lot of the jokes fall flat it's not a bad way too spend 90 minutes.

Now watching which will be by first viewing.

Old 10th April 2022, 09:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

SHOCK – I was very pleased to see the recent upgrade. For me it’s one of Bava’s finest, despite the countervailing view of people who really know what they’re talking about. Bought it on crud VHS way back along with Fulci’s ‘The Beyond’; something took root around then, so me an ‘Shock’ we’ve got ‘istry, bruv. Even if you consider it a little flat compared to Mario’s more full-on goth outings, how can you not be creeped out by that big porcelain hand? Put me off shrooms for life. Elsewhere, Nicolodi’s eerie underwater Medusa bit is the peak of an endless parade of otherworldly moments. It all comes together under the roof of Arrow’s super-duper newish blu-ray.

AMITYVILLE 1992: IT’S ABOUT TIME – In fact it’s about a dark clock that f*cks with reality, but equally it’s about an impressively gammy leg, a smattering of tasty vintage fx moments, a plot to do with sinister architecture that was either too complicated for me to understand or one that I made up due to being half cut, and various other instances of heart-warming early ninetiesisms (by which I mean, stuff that looks like it’s seeped over from a music video). I enjoyed it, anyway. In fact, I have a weird hankering to watch it again. Director Tony Randell’s oeuvre speaks for itself – ‘Hellraiser 2’, ‘Ticks’. To me, that says “dumb fun with icky latex”, which is really all I ask for if I’m in a forgiving mood.

CURFEW – An old VHS era home invasion flick, ‘Curfew’ is derivative and slight but offers period charm, as long as you’re charmed by the late eighties. It’s a film that arguably pulls its punches – there’s nothing to disturb in the way of, say, even more dated fare such as ‘House on the Edge of the Park’ – but something about its unfussy approach hooked me in a little. It’s sometimes hard to say what makes a film click – it can be a theme, an idea or an emotion, but as often it’s something much less abstract but equally mysterious, like the lighting, the camerawork, the look and feel of grain, even the way the rooms are decorated. Anyway, a solid B-movie that I happened to quite like.

Like this? Share it using the links below!