All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2023, 01:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Fog (1980)

John Carpenter's classic ghost story set on the 21st of April. Arguably i should have begun the film at 11.55pm on the 20th April to tie in with the telling of John Houseman's wonderful campfire tale, rather than the same time on the 21st, but i'll argue that it doesn't take the supposed five minutes to tell just a mere 3 mins 49 seconds so when Houseman's watch chimes midnight that's fast too.

I must have reviewed this several times over the years so ignore my waffling. The Fog is brilliant. It always has been and it always will be.

I adore the re-release restoration new artwork from Matt Ferguson (below) as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (91.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 22nd April 2023, 01:50 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Fog (1980)

John Carpenter's classic ghost story set on the 21st of April. Arguably i should have begun the film at 11.55pm on the 20th April to tie in with the telling of John Houseman's wonderful campfire tale, rather than the same time on the 21st, but i'll argue that it doesn't take the supposed five minutes to tell just a mere 3 mins 49 seconds so when Houseman's watch chimes midnight that's fast too.

I must have reviewed this several times over the years so ignore my waffling. The Fog is brilliant. It always has been and it always will be.

I adore the re-release restoration new artwork from Matt Ferguson (below) as well.
This is the perfect film acting story setting atmosphere that bloody soundtrack

This is one of the films that when I think about it it makes feel sick in my stomach like it's fluttering I think they call it ...... Love
Old 22nd April 2023, 02:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

BAD CANDY – There aren’t many Easter horror films, are there? There are probably loads, but none of them sprung to mind t’other week, so with Halloween I guess being the seasonal default for horror fans I went with one from the pile that didn’t get a viewing last Oct. ‘Bad Candy’ is a portmanteau job with numerous interconnected stories a la the superior ‘Trick r Treat’ (still the best Halloween anthology to my and probably everyone’s mind). It centres on an alt.horror type radio show whose DJ happens to be ex-Gremlins guy Zach Galligan, on hand to provide threads and a bit of continuity before everything gets a little baggy. There are some nice skits, including a crazy woodland hunt which involves people with jack o’lanterns on their heads being stalked by a massive vampire, and there’s an overload of nice seasonal imagery to match quite a strong visual tone overall. It didn’t quite mesh and, by the time the final storyline tried to pull it all together, things felt a little tagged-on and free of much tension. OK though, a decent enough watch.

SOMETHING IN THE DIRT – I still regard Benson and Moorheads‘s first three features as their best so far. ‘Synchronic’ I thought was OK, you couldn’t say it wasn’t solid, but it lacked the weird verve of ‘The Endless’. Here we have two guys, one of whom has blood on his shirt during their first encounter, who team up to explore supernatural stuff going on in their apartment building. A crystal floats mid-air, the web is consulted, and before long B&M, to quote MES, “uncover secrets and scandals of deceitful type proportions.” It's about connections, labyrinthine conspiracies, wheels within wheels, a deep dive that starts to feel sketchily contrived, or maybe just like a more manicured youtube video about people into weird stuff. Then it does a u-turn and mutates into a pseudo-documentary about its own making. Going meta might’ve been the final nail in its coffin – it certainly wants us to know how self-reflexive it is, it’s always giving us the nod - but this works in a way because it narrows things down and introduces a gradually dawning sense of there being a drama behind the scenes. The crux of all that becomes as slippery and elusive as the grand conspiracy the pair seem to be searching for, but it’s more interesting because of the hint of murder in the background. That’s my theory, and it is just a theory, right? I’m no David Ike. But it might be all it takes to stop SITD being essentially a movie about having an internet connection and too much time on your hands.
Old 22nd April 2023, 04:03 PM
Cult Master

Reanimator_poster.jpg

Room to rent ? Well this won't end well.

Medical student Dan and his girlfriend are plunged into a living nightmare when fellow new medical student Herbert West rents a room from Dan. Alarm bells start ringing when Dan's cat goes missing and they discover the body in Herbert fridge as if that's not bad enough that night the cat is back prowling the house intent on revenge attacking Dan and Herbert.

What the actual hell is going on?

Herbert shares his secret research with Dan that he has discovered a serum to bring animals and people back from the dead but no one comes back normal and it doesn't take long before the situation escalates out of control.

Re-animator is always a blast and this is actually the first time I have seen it on blu ray and it looks amazing the lighting the colours everything just pops off the screen it's a beautiful looking film. The gore and practical effects are amazing it such a fun time the film never gets old and always puts me in a great mood. Jeffery Combs is fantastic as always he was just perfect for the roll and Barbra Crampton is brilliant as always you have to hand it to her for what she went through in this film especially the head scene which is hilarious and pretty uncomfortable to watch so in an imagine how she felt laying on that table

Look most people if not everyone has seen this Its a must see and as I said if your ever in a bad mood throw this on its gaurenteed to perk you up.

This is one of those films I'll upgrade to 4K no question I can only imagine how amazing that will look.
Old 22nd April 2023, 05:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 245891

Room to rent ? Well this won't end well.

Medical student Dan and his girlfriend are plunged into a living nightmare when fellow new medical student Herbert West rents a room from Dan. Alarm bells start ringing when Dan's cat goes missing and they discover the body in Herbert fridge as if that's not bad enough that night the cat is back prowling the house intent on revenge attacking Dan and Herbert.

What the actual hell is going on?

Herbert shares his secret research with Dan that he has discovered a serum to bring animals and people back from the dead but no one comes back normal and it doesn't take long before the situation escalates out of control.

Re-animator is always a blast and this is actually the first time I have seen it on blu ray and it looks amazing the lighting the colours everything just pops off the screen it's a beautiful looking film. The gore and practical effects are amazing it such a fun time the film never gets old and always puts me in a great mood. Jeffery Combs is fantastic as always he was just perfect for the roll and Barbra Crampton is brilliant as always you have to hand it to her for what she went through in this film especially the head scene which is hilarious and pretty uncomfortable to watch so in an imagine how she felt laying on that table

Look most people if not everyone has seen this Its a must see and as I said if your ever in a bad mood throw this on its gaurenteed to perk you up.

This is one of those films I'll upgrade to 4K no question I can only imagine how amazing that will look.

That line always cracks me up
Old 22nd April 2023, 05:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Withnail and I (1987)

No matter how many times i watch this most beloved of films (Twice this year already) i always think one brief scene stands out for it's bizarreness.

And this in a film crammed with bizarreness.

The scene in question is towards the end of the film when Withnail (Richard E Grant) and I (Paul McGann) return to their cottage deep in the Lake District countryside to find the poacher has left them a Hare nailed to the cottage door with a note that reads "Here, Hare, here". The guys have to say it over and over to get it and i find it so comically bizarre.

"Here, Hare, here".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Withnail_and_i_poster.jpg (23.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 22nd April 2023 at 06:10 PM.
Old 22nd April 2023, 07:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Their terror at the uncle's unbidden arrival always makes me larf D.

Ahem.

Bloodsport (1988, Newt Arnold)

Cannon caper.
JCVD and Bolo Yeung?
One of their more conventionally structured films is what I came away initially.
Lots of fun here as the buff Belgian makes his way through various opponents in a film that is basically an extended version of the tournament sequence from Enter The Dragon cough.
Yes, it is sort of a biopic of this chap Frank Dux as I discovered, but that doesn't get in the way of the kicking and ting. Bolo plays the bad guy shock horror I'll get a mop etc.

Amityville In The Hood (2021, Dark Inifinity)

Word. Using that house to grow your stash ... it's bound to go well innit?
After a mate confronted me with the fact that he didn't know about all them darn Amityville sequels, what's a demon to do but ruin someone's day?
About as arsequakingly awful as you'd expect. Sub Asylum shiiiiiite.
Back to Indonesia methinks!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd April 2023, 08:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A mathematics professor sets a problem for his class , when it is solved but none of his class say it was them he finds out it's the university's janitor who solved it , he soon learns that they are a one in lifetime genius but their is a problem he has a problem with authority after a failed attempt to help him with various psychiatrist he turns to ex friend Robin Williams to see if he can help Will a complex relationship develops between the two , that helps both with the issues in there lives .

We also have Ben Affleck as Wills best friend and Minnie Driver as Wills love interest . A fantastic and ultimately uplifting film that gave a most deserving best supporting Oscar too the late great Williams , Damon and Affleck also received a Oscar for best script.

No watching , which is another I've not seen before.

Last edited by trebor8273; 22nd April 2023 at 08:52 PM.
Old 22nd April 2023, 11:06 PM
Cult Addict

Good Will Hunting is a film I really need to revisit. I remember enjoying it immensely when I first watched it.
World War Z annoyed me. I won't say anything now but I look forward to your thoughts Treb.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 23rd April 2023, 08:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Torture Chamber Of Dr. Sadism. 1967.

A count executed for the murder of 12 young women returns from the grave to exact revenge on the decendant who tried him and to find another victim.

Lex Barker plays the young new Baron coming to claim his inheritance unaware of the castle and area that may be cursed and joined by priest Vladimir Medar who seems a bit hot under the collar or hot under the belt area. Karen Dor and servant Christiane Rucker join them on their journey after being robbed and Dor being the one for the next sacrifice.

We see Christopher Lee or the man in the mask at the start of the film and then he shows up in the last 30 mins resurrected by servant Carl Lange, but certainly does bring his acting charms to the screen as the demented Count Racula (say it three times fast ). For someone who has returned from the dead is a bit grayish and evil demeanour but certainly enjoyable to watch without being dubbed over.

Like every Euro horror involving a castle this certainly keeps its gothic style from the journey through the woods and trees that look like have human bodies engraved in them. The castle itself does have the dark atmosphere that a certain scene does make it feel like its taken from a Poe story even though one title for rhe film Die Schlangengrube und das Pendel roughly translates to The Snakepit And The Pendulum. A nice little entertaining chiller.

816ulCgfuyL._RI_.jpg

Last edited by MrBarlow; 23rd April 2023 at 09:04 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!