All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th May 2023, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Rover (2014)

A beautifully filmed dystopian western drama set in the Australian outback ten years after a global economic collapse.

The story, which is slight to say the least, has drifter Guy Pearce on the trail of three thieves who stole his car during their getaway. Pearce meets up with the brother of one of the thieves (Robert Pattinson) who is badly injured and left for dead from a gun shot wound, takes Pattinson to a doctor who performs surgery on him then together Pearce and Pattinson set out the the gang's home.

One of those films where the look, feel and stylistics are more interesting than the plot itself which has been done so many times before. Both Pearce and Pattinson are very good, Pearce in particular has a 'don't f*ck with me' intensity that he carries through each and every scene making his every meeting with someone the feel of a confrontation giving the film a high level of tension throughout.

This aggravated tension helps the bleak nihilist tone which at times is unrelenting and often brutal but following a mesmerising first forty minutes it does lose it's way in what seems like scene after scene of mumbling drawl which brings an already glacially paced film to a halt before picking up again in the final twenty minutes.

The final scene tells you exactly why Pearce wanted his car back from the thieves even though there were working cars littering the lawless landscape. John Wick would definitely have done the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Rover-2013.jpg (54.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 30th May 2023, 07:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Kill Zone. 2005.

A police inspector tries to bring a gangster to justice but fails, when he is due to retire, his replacement who is a by the book inspector goes off the book when his new team are killed.

This has a interesting opening of a witness heading to court and involved in a car wreck, jump three years later the film takes place on fathers day. Sammo Hung plays the newly father and mob boss who gets away freely, Simon Yam plays the Inspector who tries to lead his men off the book when they are given evidence of the mob boss committing murder, and Donnie Yen as the newly promoted Inspector who is assigned to the team. The film is fast paced but not so much action except with a roof top running scene with the police and metal bars chasing a suspect, towards the end there is a great weapons fight and a good finale fight between Hung and Yen. A decent early evening film viewing.

movieposter_en.jpg
Old 30th May 2023, 08:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Rover (2014)

A beautifully filmed dystopian western drama set in the Australian outback ten years after a global economic collapse.
As this is on my watchlist, with the Blu-ray I bought sometime ago still unwatched, it's reassuring to know that it received your approval.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 30th May 2023, 08:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Brooklyn plumbers and brothers Mario and Luigi end up being transported to the mushroom Kingdom , when they get separate Mario seeks to find his brother and save the mushroom Kingdom with the help of princess Peach and Donkey Kong. Enjoyable with lots of nods too other Nintendo games, even those who know little or nothing of Mario will get enjoyment from this.

Now watching which will be by first viewing .

Up next

Old 30th May 2023, 09:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As this is on my watchlist, with the Blu-ray I bought sometime ago still unwatched, it's reassuring to know that it received your approval.
Yes, my second watch of it. I thought it sagged around the hour mark both times though.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 30th May 2023, 09:54 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Now watching which will be by first viewing .

The Others is excellent treb.

Last edited by J Harker; 30th May 2023 at 10:06 PM.
Old 31st May 2023, 10:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Started early as I had to stay in today, with ...

El Violador Infernal (1988, Damian Acosta)

A charming tale of a man whom is given a second chance in life to continue his good works :: confused:
Ahem. Camp AF and appalling violent in equal measures, this one should make Boxing Day unless something else comes up on the radar.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 31st May 2023, 09:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

12 Rounds: Lockdown. 2015.

Die Hard clone in a police station, this time it's wrestler Dean Ambrose who uncovers a bit of police corruption and the bad cops are hot on his trails before everything is exposed. The character build up is decent and why a policeman is returning to duty and sat across from a rookie officer. I never managed to find the second One and after seeing The Condemned 2, Randy Orton isn't a great actor, but the title does refer to how many bullets Ambrose has unlike the first when it was a 12 Round game of cat and mouse. If you like Dean Ambrose and a ton of one liners give it a go with this bit it's nothing spectacular except some good shoot outs.

2c9d9c6edbdc0724548b16ebaf220718.jpg
Old 1st June 2023, 12:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cellular. 2004.

Kim Basinger plays a kidnapped woman by Jason Statham and his gang, with a smashed up phone and manages to wire it together and calls stranger Chris Evans and sends him on a hunt. William H. Macy plays the desk sergeant who goes on the hunt for the young man and his new phone stranger.

From director David R. Ellis this was better than i thought it would be, after the opening credits where are thrown into the plot and kept wondering why she is targeted and when we do it is a case of what will happen now. As it is a action/crime thriller writer Larry Cohen does ad in some light humour, it's not a edge of your seat film but certainly worth a glance at.

images (1).jpg
Old 1st June 2023, 03:20 AM
Cultist

i prefer the hong kong version from 2008 dir by benny chan it's more intense and the acting is far better there is more action than the original film i have seen the original not as good as a thought it would be kim Basinger is great in it she's probably the best thing in the film
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!