All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180447Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2023, 02:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Last of the Mohicans (1992)

Three trappers protect a British Colonel's daughters as British and French troops do battle in colonial America, with aid from various native American war parties.

Based on the novel by James Fenimore Cooper. Director Michael Mann's film is part love story and part thrilling spectacle, a film that is completely captivating from beginning to end as we are placed in a beautifully shot world of misty forests, thunderous waterfalls and shudder inducing precipices and it's all complemented by a wonderful score by Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman that is both exhilarating and gorgeous to listen to.

The close combat is brilliantly staged putting us right in the midst of French cannon fire and savage attacks by Huron war parties led by the warlike Magua as portrayed by the excellent yet truly frightening, Wes Studi. The film isn't just about war though, the romance is powerful and you really feel the determination as Daniel Day-Lewis' Hawkeye declares 'I will find you' as he has to leave Madeleine Stowe in the hands of Magua and the Huron raiders.

The ending is mesmerizing in it's swift portrayal of lethal vengeance in a scene which makes the spine tingle and is a superb resolution to what is a breathtaking, pulse pounding experience.

The Definitive Directors Cut Blu-ray created by Michael Mann is a lesson in both natural lighting and natural ambiance and sound.
A wonderful film that is long overdue a rewatch.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 12th June 2023, 02:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I'm not sure that I've ever seen it, I feel like I must have done back in the day but I don't recall any of the details so it'd be like a brand new film for me. The bluray cover art is awful though
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th June 2023, 03:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm not sure that I've ever seen it, I feel like I must have done back in the day but I don't recall any of the details so it'd be like a brand new film for me. The bluray cover art is awful though
Yes, it really is shit. Day-Lewis looks like a chipmunk with those teeth.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 12th June 2023, 03:41 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Yes, it really is shit. Day-Lewis looks like a chipmunk with those teeth.
I keep seeing it in CEX and thinking.... nah not today
It's the kind of film that will have a 4k release and they generally use the original key art on those.
nicholasrope likes this.

Old 12th June 2023, 05:09 PM
Cult Addict

It's one Arrow licensed around the same time as Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and True Romance. Both have those have since had the bells & whistles treatment so I would expect the same from Mohican's at some point

Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 12th June 2023, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
It's one Arrow licensed around the same time as Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and True Romance. Both have those have since had the bells & whistles treatment so I would expect the same from Mohican's at some point

I noticed that earlier, you can buy a standard blu with the proper artwork from Arrow, they’ve had it since 2019 according the release date though that’s 4 years ago now.
nicholasrope likes this.

Old 12th June 2023, 07:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I noticed that earlier, you can buy a standard blu with the proper artwork from Arrow, they’ve had it since 2019 according the release date though that’s 4 years ago now.
The one i bought last year was £3 from Cex.

It's fine...
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 12th June 2023, 07:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

...If you avoid looking at the cover.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 12th June 2023, 09:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Trip (1967)

Okay, so Peter Fonda is basically on an LSD trip the whole film with Bruce Dern and Dennis Hopper his guides through the drugged up event. Seriously Hopper and Dern! Talk about a f*cked up pair to guide you on your first LSD trip. That's like My Little Pony saying to Shergar and Red Rum "Sure, i'll have a race with you".

Using many of the cast who would go on to be in 1969's Easy Rider this was an interesting if largely unsuccessful experiment with me. What seemed a constant use of a Kaleidoscope to create the trip effects and the lack of anything resembling a story meant i was quickly bored although one or two of the weird and wonderful scenarios Fonda encountered were of interest in particular director Roger Corman seemingly wanting to reuse sets from his old films including his Poe adaptations. I also liked the fact much was filmed in Hollywood, Laurel Canyon and Big Sur.

However with not being part of the sixties counter culture revolution nor interested in the recreational use of Acid much of this fell flat i'n afraid with the lengthy dancing and non-explicit sex scenes tedious in the extreme.

It'll be interesting to see if any of this film sticks with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Trip_(1967)_poster.jpg (46.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 12th June 2023, 10:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
The one i bought last year was £3 from Cex.

It's fine...
It is one I'd upgrade for Arrows fancy pants edition. That's the genuinely sad thing about Arrow. I really do rate the quality of their releases, but their business model has become awful.

nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!