Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2023, 09:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wanted. 2008.

James McAvoy plays the geeky office accountant, bullied by a female boss while his girlfriend is humping his so called best friend and soon recruited to join a shadowy organisation to be a assassin. Angelina Jolie, Marc Warren train him up to be tough and also to control his emotions by Morgan Freeman. This film never really appealed to me to go out and watch. Director Timur Bekmambetov is a unique movie maker with good visual command of cinematography in Night and Day watch movies and able to create good visual effects in this.

Morgan Freeman has always been great on screen and bring each character out strong with his way of including some light and dark humour. Angelina Jolie is a actress I'm not a big fan off and does tend to over act this or it's the way her character has been written to be. James McAvoy does steal the limelight a bit and knows when to tone things down, he does stand up to his boss which some of us wish we can do and finds another good use for his computer's keyboard. I'm still in two minds to re-watch this again at some point or not, time will tell.

d1DrjJzBv1VqgmG3v1Ivp5YUVpi.jpg
Old 10th June 2023, 10:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Return of the Jedi. First time I've seen this in 20 years (first time in 18 years I've watched ANY SW film lol). Nostalgic fun.
Old 10th June 2023, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Return of the Jedi. First time I've seen this in 20 years (first time in 18 years I've watched ANY SW film lol). Nostalgic fun.
You should watch that most recent trilogy, Ian. Jedi wouldn't merely be nostalgic fun but it would seem like the greatest film ever made.

Disclaimer. I never watched the third film. The second was bad enough.
Old 10th June 2023, 10:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Nah, I'm good, thanks.
Demoncrat, nicholasrope and Rob4 like this.
Old 10th June 2023, 10:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You should watch that most recent trilogy, Ian. Jedi wouldn't merely be nostalgic fun but it would seem like the greatest film ever made.

Disclaimer. I never watched the third film. The second was bad enough.
I did attempt to watch the third installment of the new trilogy....talk about dragging on in a film.
Demoncrat, nicholasrope and Rob4 like this.
Old 11th June 2023, 09:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

The last Star Wars Trilogy was awful...

I will admit to liking Rogue One though. I think it was because it was reminiscent of World War 2 mission movies like The Guns of Navarone, etc and it didn't compromise on the inevitable ending given what we knew from the original series.
Old 11th June 2023, 12:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
The last Star Wars Trilogy was awful...

I will admit to liking Rogue One though. I think it was because it was reminiscent of World War 2 mission movies like The Guns of Navarone, etc and it didn't compromise on the inevitable ending given what we knew from the original series.
Rogue One was good as was Solo.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 11th June 2023, 07:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The House in the Woods (1957)

A couple decide enough's enough when their neighbours in the appartment oposite seem to hold a perpetual party so they decide to look for somewhere more secluded. By chance they find a lovely cottage out in the wilds owned by a widowed artist who wishes to sell the place. Upon meeting the artist the three get on so well he invites them to stay whilst the sale goes through telling them he'll be gone in a few days anyway. Shortly after moving in the couple discover all is not quite as it seems.

More a melodrama than out and out thriller, The House in the Woods is a charming little B-picture that's short and rather sweet. Running at a mere 59 minutes, the film, clearly designed as an opener for a main picture when it hit cinemas has potential to be a decent episode of 70's ITV series Thriller. It's principal cast of an unhammy Michael Gough, Patricia Roc and Ronald Howard as the artist, do well with a script that's short on action but remains quite gripping once Gough and Roc decide Howard is up to no good.

As for the house of the title. It's certainly no old dark house, more a lovely quaint English cottage. All in all The House in the Woods is a slightly sinister film and i'm pleased to have such an obscurity as part of my collection of British films. Also i love having films like this as they can be watched when you don't quite have enough time for a 90 minute or longer movie.

The Network dvd has print damage on occasions despite it being a new master. The print itself is fine but the cigarette burns do seem quite extreme and the sound is also poor at times. However Network do warn you of these problems on cover blurb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house-in-the-woods-dvd.jpg (78.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 11th June 2023, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Cocaine Bear

Bear ingests Cocaine in the woods after a drop goes wrong, goes on a rampage, simple really. A fun watch especially now it's getting hotter, with some really good comedic moments and some good attack scenes.

Prince Of The Sun

A rather sane (LOL) Martial Arts, Supernatural, Comedy film about a reincarnated Buddah who inhabits a child but is hunted down by evil monks intent on taking over the world. So he teams up with a man who he meets along the way and a gambling Teacher who likes to beat the Children if they cost her money. Cynthia Rothrock is sent to protect him.

This is a rather bonkers effort, whilst not the greatest Film who'd ever see, I couldn't take my eyes off it as I really didn't know what crazy thing will happen next whether it's levitation, the woman falling out of her window multiple times, going to rob a bank whilst another gang is robbing it, the 3 leads speaking in union like they were in a band and apparitions.

Found the M.I.A DVD in a CEX and it's not the greatest transfer (The opening Cast Credits were cut off screen) but M.I.A, I find to be quite an under rated Distributer from the early 2000's. I'm actually quite surprised that this hasn't had the Blu-Ray release yet considering the kick Eureka seem to be having at the moment.

Sword Of Bushido

Richard Norton is a Ex-Seal who goes to Thailand in order to retrieve a Sword that his Grandfather was killed over. The Yakuza are after it as well. This was an OK effort, it took a real while to get going with the good stuff and TBH, Norton is good as the Co-Star Villain type role, not the lead Hero.

To The Death

Sort of Sequel to American Kickboxer I, which sees the 2 rivals team up to stop a Businessman who runs his Underground Fight Circuit. Not a bad effort but would have enjoyed it more if I had seen it near it's release. John Barrett and Michel Quissi were pretty good in their roles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cb.jpg (12.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg pots.jpg (11.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg sob.jpg (11.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg ttd.jpg (11.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 12th June 2023, 12:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Last of the Mohicans (1992)

Three trappers protect a British Colonel's daughters as British and French troops do battle in colonial America, with aid from various native American war parties.

Based on the novel by James Fenimore Cooper. Director Michael Mann's film is part love story and part thrilling spectacle, a film that is completely captivating from beginning to end as we are placed in a beautifully shot world of misty forests, thunderous waterfalls and shudder inducing precipices and it's all complemented by a wonderful score by Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman that is both exhilarating and gorgeous to listen to.

The close combat is brilliantly staged putting us right in the midst of French cannon fire and savage attacks by Huron war parties led by the warlike Magua as portrayed by the excellent yet truly frightening, Wes Studi. The film isn't just about war though, the romance is powerful and you really feel the determination as Daniel Day-Lewis' Hawkeye declares 'I will find you' as he has to leave Madeleine Stowe in the hands of Magua and the Huron raiders.

The ending is mesmerizing in it's swift portrayal of lethal vengeance in a scene which makes the spine tingle and is a superb resolution to what is a breathtaking, pulse pounding experience.

The Definitive Directors Cut Blu-ray created by Michael Mann is a lesson in both natural lighting and natural ambiance and sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Last-of-the-Mohicans-Poster.jpg (89.8 KB, 1 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!