LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2023, 10:30 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Five nights at Freddy’s

Even tho it was a low (ish) budget film it wasn't designed to be or feel like a low budget, also had Nic Cage willy’s wonder land feel, it was very well made and done, but instead of Concentraring on killer robots it was more storyline and build up, decent watchable but lacks any real action, violence or Gore.
Sounds a bit pointless then.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 29th October 2023, 11:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Both Five Nights at Freddy's and Willy's Wonderland are based on the video game series Five Nights at Freddy's, but the Nicolas Cage-starring film was not an officially sanctioned adaptation and was released first with, as far as I can remember, little fanfare.

I have seen it twice at home (streamed from Prime Video) and thought it was great fun both times. It's a film that shouldn't work but somehow does because of the surrealistic feel, the cartoonish violence, and energetic editing.

I am interested in Five Nights at Freddy's, but probably not enough to see it at the cinema instead of something else that's currently showing – there are other films I'd rather see instead.
It was only something like a fiver each so not so bad. A lot cinemas now do prices around £5-6 obviously depending what cinema and where you live. For that price I’m tempted to go more often, but the main ones I’m interested in they don’t really show, mainly selected cinema or down London, eg when they was due at the time, Argento and Cronenberg lastest film.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 29th October 2023, 08:48 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
It was only something like a fiver each so not so bad. A lot cinemas now do prices around £5-6 obviously depending what cinema and where you live. For that price I’m tempted to go more often, but the main ones I’m interested in they don’t really show, mainly selected cinema or down London, eg when they was due at the time, Argento and Cronenberg lastest film.
The prices are very reasonable and it wasn't the reason I wouldn't choose to see it – that's more a time issue because the opportunity to spend a few hours in the cinema is rare.

I did go a few times this week and shall try to put a post about what I saw and what I thought tomorrow when I have a spare couple of hours.
gag and nicholasrope like this.
Old 1st November 2023, 04:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Enjoyed watching A Haunting In Venice as a one-off (which is very probably the way that most normal people watch films!). This new Poirot mystery appealed much more because I already own killer versions of the older Death on the Nile and Murder on the Orient Express films. Would recommend checking it out just the one time even if I suspect that it has very little in common with the source material. btw Kinda funny that the marketing employees apparently had no idea how to properly promote this film with the trailer.

Last edited by SymbioticFunction; 1st November 2023 at 05:18 PM.
Old 2nd November 2023, 01:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Babe

True Story based on the life of Babe Ruth starring John Goodman, the legendary Baseball Player for the Boston Redsox and New York Yankees. The Film starts as he was abandoned at a Church Orphanage, which includes a funny turn by James Cromwell as a Baseball playing Priest to mega stardom and then downfall. It's not a bad Film but I've seen better.

The Believers

Martin Sheen is a newly single father who's also a Police Psychiatrist who helps investigate when Children are sacrificed in New Orleans. He then realizes that his son is next. Pretty decent effort at the start but loses it's way near the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tb.jpg (13.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg tbe.jpg (12.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 4th November 2023, 09:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

MAGIC COP – I can’t remember very much about the ‘Mr Vampire’ series apart from images of the infamous hopping vampires and lots of slapstick. Not my thing, but plenty dig it. ‘Magic Cop’ is one of the sequels from that line, though works as a standalone movie and is probably cut from slightly different atmospheric cloth. A sorcerer uses zombie drug mules as part of her organised crime operation, leaving local law enforcement to scratch their heads and go a bit Benny Hill; enter a man with a stern brow and knowledge of the old ways… ‘Magic Cop’ divides its time between early nineties HK stock-in-trades (nicely choreographed outbursts of wuxia and the purported levity supplied by bungling cops) and crazy scenes of battle magic. The frenetic eighties fx-style supernaturalism is lovely to behold and lends it the flavour of a Taoist ‘Dead Heat’. A lot of the wacky policemen seem to have a great time groping their colleagues - not sure I can relate to that, but, all cringes aside, overall ‘Magic Cop’ is an endearing mishmash of buddy cop weirdness and nice visuals to gawp at.

MIND, BODY AND SOUL – A Rick Sloane film with Wings Hauser and Ginger Lynn! Anyone wondering which side of the ‘inspiring / awful’ continuum it falls on is probably advised to watch something like ‘Blood Theatre’ first and then decide. Actually, MBS is pretty together for Sloane. Ginger’s on the run from a cult, Wings is her lawyer / landlord, and the occult is basically just fake satin robes and pentagrams drawn in stage blood. “Here, look at this!” shouts the flatfoot, tugging back the blanket. It’s a headless dummy! Not as fun as Wings having a tantrum, but all right then. Later, a demonic hologram face in the house of an erotic witch dispenses practical magic tips whilst growling and glowing purple. All the early nineties off-centre cinematic clunk you could wish for, glammed up with LA sun and a smattering of T&A. Rick, I approve.
Old 4th November 2023, 10:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Death Wish. 1974.

Charles Bronson teams up with Michael Winner in this violent 70s thriller, Bronson plays your idyllic neighbour who becomes a vigilante after his wife and daughter are attacked in their own home. This was a very simple story and it panders to our base instincts which is probably why it was successful. The story then slows down as we see the transformation of the husband, from conscientious objector to vigilante. When Charles Bronson hits the streets, the film picks up big time.

Death_wish_movie_poster.jpg
Old 4th November 2023, 12:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Death Wish II. 1982.

Branson returns as architect Paul Kersey living the quiet life in L.A. 8 years after he left New York. After being ambushed by a few thugs and confronting one, they attack and rape his housekeeper and kidnap his daughter who kills herself, Kersey decides to prowl the streets.

Despite this being a Cannon production and Michael Winner stepping into the directors chair, this has always been a decent sequel, no matter what version you find and how many times you watch it, the rape scene with the housekeeper is still a bit disturbing and can be uncomfortable to watch. Yet we still root for Kersey to kick ass and has a good fight with the last thug and gets a little help from Vincent Gardenia and Charles Cyphers in a small role as a hospital orderly.

814xQ1CJRxL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Old 4th November 2023, 03:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Death Wish 3. 1985.

Bronson returns as Paul Kerseyn who arrives in New York in this installment to help out a old army buddy where the neighbourhood is being tormented by a gang led by Gavan O'Herlihy, police chief Ed Lauter is having problems with everything and forms a alliance with Kersey.

Cannon produced and Michael Winner returning for his final director role in the franchise and turns a neighbourhood into a battle ground that Martin Balsam seems to enjoy the view when it all kicks off. Deborah Raffin is the district attorney and new love affection for Kersey. We know Winner and his take on violence especially towards women but the rape scene in this is mild. When it all kicks off its funny how everyone seems to arm up. Plenty of action in this.

81hemDf4NQL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Old 4th November 2023, 08:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Death Wish 3. 1985.

Bronson returns as Paul Kerseyn who arrives in New York in this installment to help out a old army buddy where the neighbourhood is being tormented by a gang led by Gavan O'Herlihy, police chief Ed Lauter is having problems with everything and forms a alliance with Kersey.

Cannon produced and Michael Winner returning for his final director role in the franchise and turns a neighbourhood into a battle ground that Martin Balsam seems to enjoy the view when it all kicks off. Deborah Raffin is the district attorney and new love affection for Kersey. We know Winner and his take on violence especially towards women but the rape scene in this is mild. When it all kicks off its funny how everyone seems to arm up. Plenty of action in this.

Attachment 248678
I actually quite enjoyed this one. The Death Wish Films seemed to follow the Rocky template, the first 2 Films were serious and from Rocky III onwards, they became more fast paced and somewhat ridiculous. I rather enjoyed Death Wish V as well.
MacBlayne likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!