Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2024, 05:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Search & Destroy (1995, Danny Lerner)

About as cliched as it comes, but that made it more fun. Dirty Den plays a general!!
Bad men leave a body squadless, but the chance for redemption is coming. The music is also hilariously innapropriate. Lawdy.

The Operative (2000, Robert Lee)

Brian Bosworth is left for dead behind the Iron Curtain. When he finally comes to, his world has changed somewhat. Stealing a picture seems to be a solution. This one, not only does the Boz play a double role , which is something to see ahem, but the ending just took it to another level. Recommended if you find it in a charity shop

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 15th January 2024 at 10:09 PM.
Old 16th January 2024, 03:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Rookie. 1990.

Second Clint film viewed in a few days, here he plays a cop...nope not Dirty Harry, but a L.A. cop who is out to get German car dealer Raul Julia and wife, mistresses...or bit on the side with benefits Sonia Braga. After all goes pear shaped, Clint is assigned new partner Charlie Sheen who comes from a wealthy family and defies daddy's demands, both our new partners defy orders and go after the bad guys.

OK so we had a few buddy cop films going on, and then Clint takes a break from Harry and starts up a new cop film where he and his partner are still alive at the end of the film even though battered and bruised.

Raul has always been a legend on screen and can adapt to the roles he was given but every so often he seems to drop the German accent and realises it and brings it back. Charlie boy's character is one who we slowly find out his background and still root for him not to be the spoilt child who can make life his own even though daddy Tom Skerritt tries to pull a fast one. This one I can have a love hate relationship with, yeah it was good, good shootouts, laughs, but times it's where Clint tends to steal the limelight a lot and go a bit OTT with the acting.

MV5BMTQyMTk3OTM1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTY1NDkwMzE@._V1_.jpg
Old 16th January 2024, 04:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

High Voltage (1997, Isaac Florentine)

More Cannon Jr
One last job? Before heading off into that sunset? No problem then ...
This one. I kind of think that IF just wanted to make a HK style flick, as every fight has sound effects cough, plus the gunplay is ... overzealous to say the least. Will be showing this to a few folks ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th January 2024, 05:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Rookie. 1990.

Second Clint film viewed in a few days, here he plays a cop...nope not Dirty Harry, but a L.A. cop who is out to get German car dealer Raul Julia and wife, mistresses...or bit on the side with benefits Sonia Braga. After all goes pear shaped, Clint is assigned new partner Charlie Sheen who comes from a wealthy family and defies daddy's demands, both our new partners defy orders and go after the bad guys.

OK so we had a few buddy cop films going on, and then Clint takes a break from Harry and starts up a new cop film where he and his partner are still alive at the end of the film even though battered and bruised.

Raul has always been a legend on screen and can adapt to the roles he was given but every so often he seems to drop the German accent and realises it and brings it back. Charlie boy's character is one who we slowly find out his background and still root for him not to be the spoilt child who can make life his own even though daddy Tom Skerritt tries to pull a fast one. This one I can have a love hate relationship with, yeah it was good, good shootouts, laughs, but times it's where Clint tends to steal the limelight a lot and go a bit OTT with the acting.

Attachment 249581
The Rookie's a likable enough film if not top tier Clint and his team up with Sheen enjoyable.

I always thought The Enforcer with Clint teamed up with the excellent Tyne Daly was the creation of the buddy cop movie. I can';t think of any prior to this can you?

On a related Clint note - It's great that his new film Juror #2 resumed filming in November following the strikes.
Old 16th January 2024, 06:00 PM
Active Cultist

Death Wish 4, 1988
I like part 3 the best due to the insane levels of violence and deranged performances. This one is more subdued and likely was made with less of a budget. The cast is pretty decent though Danny Trejo, Kay Lenz and the excellent John P. Ryan. Kersey is now living somewhere in LA, has a new ready made family and all is going fine until some drug dealers with mafia connections intrude on his domestic bliss. Good timewaster for those with boring jobs.

Death Wish 5, 1994
This is the most pathetic entry of the series. Bronson is now in his 70s and watching his stunt double cartwheel away from bullets is rather sad. The budget was even less and most of the film takes place in dodgy looking sets. The only saving grace is the cast of mostly Canadians plus an entertaining performance from Michael Parks. Unless you own the boxset i would give this one a miss.
Old 16th January 2024, 10:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Robbery (1967)

Cracking British crime film starring Stanley Baker, James Booth, Barry Foster and Joanna Pettet among others, about a gang led by Baker who plan to hit a Royal Mail train carrying three million in cash.

Inspired loosely by the actual Great Train Robbery in 1963, this is a gripping and suspenseful thriller throughout. Although it's a favourite of mine i will admit it never actually gets better than the lengthy car chase at the beginning of the film along the streets of London which culminates with both crooks and coppers careering into a load of school children crossing the road. This action sequence was so impressive it got director Peter Yates the Bullit gig with Steve McQueen the following year.

Anyone who enjoys British crime films on the lines of Hell Drivers (1957) The League of Gentlemen (1960), Payroll (1961) and Villain (1971) could do worse than giving this a go.

The Network Blu-ray looks stunning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robbery-Poster.jpg (26.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 16th January 2024, 10:05 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Robbery (1967)

Cracking British crime film starring Stanley Baker, James Booth, Barry Foster and Joanna Pettet among others, about a gang led by Baker who plan to hit a Royal Mail train carrying three million in cash.

Inspired loosely by the actual Great Train Robbery in 1963, this is a gripping and suspenseful thriller throughout. Although it's a favourite of mine i will admit it never actually gets better than the lengthy car chase at the beginning of the film along the streets of London which culminates with both crooks and coppers careering into a load of school children crossing the road. This action sequence was so impressive it got director Peter Yates the Bullit gig with Steve McQueen the following year.

Anyone who enjoys British crime films on the lines of Hell Drivers (1957) The League of Gentlemen (1960), Payroll (1961) and Villain (1971) could do worse than giving this a go.

The Network Blu-ray looks stunning.
First time I watched Robbery I ended up switching off. Was all set to take it to CEX as I found it so dull. For whatever reason I gave it another chance and really enjoyed it. Sometimes mood makes all the difference.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 16th January 2024, 10:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
First time I watched Robbery I ended up switching off. Was all set to take it to CEX as I found it so dull. For whatever reason I gave it another chance and really enjoyed it. Sometimes mood makes all the difference.
It definitely slows down following that rip roaring opening and does become quite talky for about forty minutes.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 17th January 2024, 01:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Pentagon Wars. 1998.

A bit of a late night/early morning comedy with Kelsey Grammer as a high ranking general facing a court martial and then flash back as to why. Grammer is looking into starting and overseeing "The Bradley Project". A ultimate fighting vehicle, that is to be the best superior weapon. Cary Elwes is the new guy on campus sent in to investigate why the project is taking so long and going way over budget. Director Richard Benjamin manages to make a decent made for T.V comedy and also throw in some seriousness in to it and create realism as to what could go on within the military with two guys trying to find the best way to bring each other down in a humorous way. If this peaks your interest it is on YouTube for free.

The_Pentagon_Wars.jpg
Old 17th January 2024, 10:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

lf (2).jpg 294002711772919_mainphotos.jpg
CIRCUS WORLD (1964)

Big John Wayne and his wild west show and circus hit a bad time when the ship they sailed on to Europe capsizes in the dock.
Wayne sets out to recruit new circus performers and raise money for a new tent..
Big budget Cinerama release. Good things on show here with the circus performers and stunts in the wild west show.
The big set piece is the sinking of the ship and looks great.
The movie did not fair well at the cinema with some bad reviews about the film being slow and a long run time but I very much enjoyed it.
Released in the UK at the time as 'The Magnificent Showman'.

Like this? Share it using the links below!