LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2024, 12:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Passion Of Joan Of Arc. 1928.

In 1491 Jeanne D'Arc is on trial for heresy while the judges try and force her claims that she has seen holy visions.

What could have been a lost film before it was released, the entire film reel had been destroyed and the director used film footage he had rejected and we have this film. Another silent movie era and one to certainly enjoy, the cinematography is amazing with scene after scene perfectly shot, Maria Falconetti who plays Joan has the perfect face expressions as the film goes on with the pain of the character and as the film goes on you can see the sadness overwhelm her.

A great piece of cinematic history with Carl Theodor Dreyerat the helm and able to do something with a decent script that does hold your attention right from the start to the end with a great set piece of music in the background.

Attachment 250193
When the first post you read is MrBarlow reviewing The Passion of Joan of Arc you realise there's something still wrong with the forum.
Old 1st March 2024, 12:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
When the first post you read is MrBarlow reviewing The Passion of Joan of Arc you realise there's something still wrong with the forum.
Nothing is wrong with the forum, I didn't miss out any horror movies give it time and I will post up a horror.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 1st March 2024, 01:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Kiss Of The Tarantula. 1975.

Suzanna ling is the little disturbed girl living with her dad Herman Waller and mother Beverly Eddins, the father is a bit strict, the mother is having a affair and their daughter has a obsession with Tarantulas that she uses to get her revenge. Someone who has pets and uses them for revenge...this had me thinking of Willard, social outcast, quiet person who wouldn't hurt a fly etc, certainly not a film for arachnophobes or if you want to conquer your fears watch this. The acting is not the best but not the worst. Very low budget that you can almost squirm when the tarantula is crawling over the mother while she is in bed. This did help pass some time by for a bit.

MV5BNzkzZDE0NjUtZjQ0Ny00Yzg2LWIyNDctM2EwNTA0NGQ0NWNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
Old 1st March 2024, 01:10 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Amadeus. 1984.

F. Murray Abraham plays Antonio Salleri, who after trying to commit suicide believes that he infact killed Wolfganag Amadeus Mozart and tells the story of his hatred.

You don't have to be a fan of classical music to enjoy this biography movie, the only thing to appreciate with this is director Milos Foreman's work with two great leads and a decent script to work with. This film has it all excellent acting, excellent cinematography, excellent costume design, excellent music production, excellent set design, perfect combination of comedy and tragedy, and tons and tons of classic, memorable lines, especially those delivered by Salier especially during the confessional. I have tried to watch this all the way through and finally done it and appreciate it more now than I have done.

Attachment 250190
I re-watched Amadeus recently, 3hrs absolutely flew by, I love this film. I first saw it at school during music class, over three weeks of lessons.

Mozart's Requiem is an amazing piece of classical music and I recommend it to everyone who wants to try something a bit different to listen to.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st March 2024, 01:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Naked Lunch. 1991.

A 1950s bug exterminator begins t drug abuse on his own cheicals and begins to see bugs, accidentally shoots his wife and uncovers a mysterious plot.

Think this is when David Cronenberg decided to step back from pure horror and change his tone of films to drama/thriller and still manages to entertain his audience. Peter Weller plays the exterminator who hallucinates and sees his typewriter turning into a bug and is informed of a plot that is orchestrated by other bugs. Cronenberg managed to add in his usual element of sick and disturbing moments but also adds in a small confusing moment that doesn't really derail the film and also manages to create a seven foot tall monster that the writer of the book probably seen in a bad dream. I have never read the book but be interesting to see how the book and movie are different from each other.

Naked_Lunch_film_poster.jpg
Old 1st March 2024, 02:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

King Kong. 1933.

A film that never gets dull or boring just more entertaining with the more you watch it. Robert Armstrong plays the film director known for shooting in exotic locations with no leading lady for his next project finds Faye Wray and hires her for his film. As they set for Indonesia they stumble upon a tribe that worship Kong, one big ass gorilla, who takes a shine to the new leading lady and then transport Kong back to the states. A movie that was ahead of it's time with the special effects of Kong climbing the building, amazing set locations and pieces spiced together along with a great set of actors on board. A great classic monster movie.

Kingkongposter.jpg
Old 1st March 2024, 02:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

She Freak. 1967.

Oh boy...we should have placed some bets that I would have found a film that would be on the WTF did I watch pile.

Claire Brennan plays a diner waitress, hit on by mostly every male customer and her boss...no surprise she was a bit of a MILF back then, meets a man who runs a carnival and freak show. She joins the carnival and seems repulsed by the oddities and freaks.

After watching this I watched the 1930s film Freaks and this is a close remake of the film. The film is is slower than a snail, the acting is not the best, the dialogue is laughable and wooden, the lead actress spent a few hours in the make-up chair only to be seen on screen for about a minute. 1 hour 23 minutes....i want that time back...

1651584463521.jpg
Old 1st March 2024, 03:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

s-l1600 (37).jpg
DUNE PART 2

Not long been back from the cinema. That movie was bloody awesome!
After the first film I said I couldn't wait for the next movie and now here it is.
This is an event movie. Huge in scope. Everything was top notch and the sound in my cinema was blasting!
As with the first movie there is a lot to take in but it's it a great ride.
Now can't wait for the next movie in about four years!
Old 1st March 2024, 04:01 PM
Cult Veteran

I?m so excited for Dune part 2 but I?m going to wait a couple more weeks when I have a weekday off work and I can go in the day time. Not going over the weekend it?ll be too busy for my liking.
Dave Boy and nicholasrope like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st March 2024, 04:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yeah, I went first showing this morning. Only a handful of people in there which was great.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!