All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2024, 04:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A film you obviously really wanted then?

I bought it and then people were saying it was no good so I never got around to watching it haha. Funny it?s a habit I still have, desperately wanting to buy discs and then I lose interest in them before even watching them haha.

I keep seeing the box and thinking to myself is it now? And then putting it back with a no haha.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th March 2024, 04:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I bought it and then people were saying it was no good so I never got around to watching it haha. Funny it?s a habit I still have, desperately wanting to buy discs and then I lose interest in them before even watching them haha.

I keep seeing the box and thinking to myself is it now? And then putting it back with a no haha.
As i mentioned i haven't seen it for years but i recall it being really good. There was a murder scene at the beginning on a train that was a standout.

I'm going to watch it tonight. As i recall it's superior to Trauma and all the gialli that followed.
Old 4th March 2024, 05:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I?ve never seen Sleepless, I?ve had the DVD since the arrow release in the white box with the reversible artwork came out.
It's quite good, well worth checking out. Certainly worth watching at least the opening train murder. Goblin soundtrack is superb and it's wonderful to hear them once again paired with Dario Argento. Only downsides are the constant references to prior Argento works, comes across as a greatest hits package at times (maybe that's not a bad thing?). Probably not surprising after the backlash to Phantom of the Opera. And a certain puppet thing baffles me slightly.

Edit: Carpet shot is as good as it gets.
Old 4th March 2024, 06:10 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
It's quite good, well worth checking out. Certainly worth watching at least the opening train murder. Goblin soundtrack is superb and it's wonderful to hear them once again paired with Dario Argento. Only downsides are the constant references to prior Argento works, comes across as a greatest hits package at times (maybe that's not a bad thing?). Probably not surprising after the backlash to Phantom of the Opera. And a certain puppet thing baffles me slightly.

Edit: Carpet shot is as good as it gets.
I've pulled it out of the collection and into the ever expanding watch pile so I will get around to it sooner rather than later.

Old 4th March 2024, 06:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

There Will Be Blood. 2007.

Daniel Day-Lewis gives out another great performance where simple folk are easily hoodwinked by smooth silver tongue talking people brandishing money for their land one price that is sold for more money and shows industrialism and capitalism can be a dirty thing. First time seeing this and got no idea what to really make of it. The acting and direction is good but you got no idea if you are rooting for anyone, two and half hours might be a bit much for this one but a second glance may not hurt.

MV5BMjAxODQ4MDU5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDU4MjU1MQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
Old 4th March 2024, 07:12 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
There Will Be Blood. 2007.

Daniel Day-Lewis gives out another great performance where simple folk are easily hoodwinked by smooth silver tongue talking people brandishing money for their land one price that is sold for more money and shows industrialism and capitalism can be a dirty thing. First time seeing this and got no idea what to really make of it. The acting and direction is good but you got no idea if you are rooting for anyone, two and half hours might be a bit much for this one but a second glance may not hurt.

Attachment 250247
"I drink your milkshake!"
nicholasrope likes this.

Old 4th March 2024, 09:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
"I drink your milkshake!"
Sounds like the third film on a triple bill with I Drink Your Blood and I Eat Your Skin.
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 4th March 2024, 09:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Man They Could Not Hang (1939)

Boris Karloff plays Dr. Savaard: a scientist working on experiments to restore life to the dead. When he is unjustly hanged for murder, he is brought back to life by his trusted assistant. The now rejuvenated Savaard sets about exacting revenge on the judge and jury who saw him executed.

A hugely enjoyable mad scientist movie with Karloff in fine form. The second half of the film takes place in Savaard's mansion as he invites those he wishes to kill to the house at a set date and time. Once the group are in place the film plays out like a precursor to the Saw series as the out of sight Savaard manipulates his victims and kills them in all manner of elaborate ways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2JkXXhi78o6eLeGC0TpM6BS8NWa.jpg (101.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 5th March 2024, 12:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sleepless (2001)

Max Von Sydow plays a retired police detective who teams up with a young amateur sleuth to track down a serial killer who's resumed a killing spree in Turin, Italy after a 17-year period.

Dario Argento's return to the giallo genre is a hit and miss affair. Mainly because it never bests its opening twenty minutes featuring the brutal murder of a woman on a train. It's a sequence that's every bit as good as anything Argento's created in the past and sadly the rest of the production just can't compete despite the welcome presence of Von Sydow.

Although there are some smart gory murder set pieces throughout the film as well as some trademark Argento camera work it feels a little been there done that as well and it's not helped by being far too long at two hours and also sporting that tv movie look that plagued some films around this time.

Having said all that Sleepless is an enjoyable film in it's own right and it would be more than welcome on UK Blu-ray.

I should also mention the Arrow dvd from which i saw this film once again. It looks awful with a judder which can't be ignored. A judder incidentally which is nowhere to be seen in clips from the film in the accompanying docs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Sleepless_(2001_film).jpeg (14.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 6th March 2024, 01:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Wonka

Story of how Wonka started into Chocolate Making however he encounters The Chocolate Cartel, a Crooked Policeman and a Hotel Owner and Henchman who forces him into labor. This is excellent with Timothee Chalamet in the title role who portrays the trusting Wonka well but it's Olivia Colman and Tom Davis who steal the show has the mean Labor Masters.

VHS 85

Another Anthology Series this time it features a boy who stares at the TV, a Natural Disaster in Mexico, a VR Show and a Lake Skiing adventure which ends suddenly. This one was ok, some stories take their time to get going but there is that sense that something will happen suddenly and 2 of the stories merge.

Rumble Through The Dark

Aaron Eckhart is a washed up Bare Knuckle Boxer who is trying to raise the cash to save his Foster Mother's home but has to fight one last time in order to save it. This isn't your typical Fight Film as it's more storyline based but it isn't bad. Bella Thorne co-stars along with Marianne Jean Baptiste who plays the mean Loan Shark really well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w.jpg (14.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg vhs85.jpg (13.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rttd.jpg (9.2 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!