Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2022, 05:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

We Are Going To Eat You! (1980, Tsui Hark)

A slightly comedic take on the cannibal genre with all the back flipping, high kicking and t'ing that you would expect from the Hark. A hoot, laughed like a drain and winced at the nastier bits (wild tonal shifts a gogo).
Agent 99 is faced with a seemingly insurmountable task when sent to recover a missing girl. What he finds isn't on any training manual!! Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WE.jpg (99.9 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th February 2022, 09:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Good Against Evil. 1977.

Writer Andy teams up with a Exorcist to battle a group of Satanists.

This was originally planned pilot for a T.V series that was never picked up, it's a bit like The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby, a woman gives birth drops down dead and this Satanic cult lead by Richard Lynch wants the pure soul of Elyssa Davalos. Dack Rambo teams with Dan O'Herlihy to save her. This had it's moments of looking to be good but goes pearshaped, with very little suspense or tension. Having Lynch and O'Herlihy credits to the film surely would be smart but their talents are wasted on this, very dull.

hqdefault.jpg
Old 15th February 2022, 09:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It year two at Hoggwarts this year young Harry has to deal with attacks on muggle born and the possibility he could be Heir of Slytherin and responsible for the attacks as well as having to contend with Draco and Snape.

Still top notch acting from the adults which is like a who's who of British entertainment and Radcliff acting has improved.

Now watchng.

Old 15th February 2022, 10:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

It year two at Hoggwarts this year young Harry has to deal with attacks on muggle born and the possibility he could be Heir of Slytherin and responsible for the attacks as well as having to contend with Draco and Snape.

Still top notch acting from the adults which is like a who's who of British entertainment and Radcliff acting has improved.

Now watchng.

Tbh I don’t think I’ve seen past 3rd film, I have to have a week of Harry Potter and watch one a night.
Old 16th February 2022, 08:18 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I own the older Lionsgate blu-ray. I've read that quite a few people's discs were affected by bronzing and would no longer play. Because of that, it's probably risky to buy a second hand copy. Luckily my blu-ray is still fine.
My Lionsgate disc is fine as well. I checked it as i've not loaded it since the Scream Factory release.
SymbioticFunction likes this.
Old 16th February 2022, 09:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Basic Instinct

Watched with the PV comm, where he and the de Bont coo and fuss over their "Hitchcockian" shots
More violent than I remember (was it trimmed for home viewing??) and just as crass as always, this slick looking but morally hollow flick revolves around a cat and mouse game with a femme fatal indeedy.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th February 2022, 09:34 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Basic Instinct

Watched with the PV comm, where he and the de Bont coo and fuss over their "Hitchcockian" shots
More violent than I remember (was it trimmed for home viewing??) and just as crass as always, this slick looking but morally hollow flick revolves around a cat and mouse game with a femme fatal indeedy.
Morally hollow. Seriously? The stuff you watch and you pull this up as morally hollow.
Old 16th February 2022, 04:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The A-Team. 2010.

Four soldiers try to clear their names when falsely accused of a crime in Baghdad.

Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper, Sharlto Copely and Quinton Jackson play the four members of The Alpha team, who seem to think on their feet quickly and love it when a plan comes together. The makers do try to re-invent the characters from the T.V, series and Copely who plays Murdoch looks bat shit crazy anyway and does have good one liners. Again with modern films they seem to rely on CGI as does this with some ariel shots that does have it's moments of looking good.

Jessica Biel plays the former Captain to Lieutenant and ex love interest and tends to go after C.I.A man lynch played by Patrick Wilson, not sure if he can be a action star but certainly knows how to throw a temper tantrum in a car like a 5 year old. There is a homage to the original show with the van and how B.A. is protective of, the background score, and Dwight Schultz and Dirk Benedict have a small cameo role.

p7938924_p_v8_aj.jpg
Old 16th February 2022, 04:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Morally hollow. Seriously? The stuff you watch and you pull this up as morally hollow.

I have incredibly high standards

[B]
Old 16th February 2022, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Fantasist (1996)

Robin Hardy's thriller about a young woman who moves to Dublin from the country to take up a new teaching position and begins to get not quite obscene phone calls from a stranger whilst a serial killer stalks the city streets.

Hardy brings that sense of unease that over shadowed The Wicker Man to this quaint little film that for the most part could be some sleepy forties thriller but there are strong giallo elements embedded throughoutl. It's a heady concoction where pretty much anyone the girl gets along with - a fellow teacher, an American flatmate and the local police inspector - well any of then could be the killer.

In fact some of the scenes seem quite out of place, for example the first murder which is intercut with a family meal and due to the sexualised nature of the attack really comes across as giallo-esq.

Moira Harris is excellent as the seemingly vulnerable young woman but it's a nuanced performance and occasionally quite manipulative especially during the gripping finale.

I first watched the Odeon dvd of The Fantasist probably ten years ago and didn't really get along with it thanks mainly to it's weird atmosphere but rewatching last night for the first time i really enjoyed it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!