Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2024, 08:41 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
'The Aristrocrats' (2005) is a documentary where over 75 of the worlds most popular comedians take an offensive joke, explain it's history, expand on it and deconstruct it

The joke / routine in question is known as 'The Aristocrats', but it's unlikely you will ever have seen it performed by a comedian on stage and even less likely you will have seen on television
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I have seen it a couple of times and the only delivery/version of the joke which has stayed with me and would still make me laugh is the South Park version
Apparently the South Park version was animated especially for the film. As far as I am aware, it has never appeared in any of the television episodes
nicholasrope likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th March 2024, 10:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Texas Chainsaw (2013)

Beginning soon after the end of Tobe Hooper's classic shocker, a vigilante band of angry townsfolk surround the Sawyer farmhouse and in a desperate shoot out kill the whole family and burn the house to the ground.

Fast forward to the present day and a young woman (A very good Alexandra Daddario) learns of her inheritance of a large mansion in Texas. Once there with her friends, she learns the terrifying truth about herself as well as the realization that someone may have survived the farmhouse massacre.

The opening siege is lifted directly from Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects. However from there on we have a wholly original story proving the point that evil doesn't just wear a dead skin mask. It can wear mayoral robes as well.

A fast moving film that has plenty of gory moments including a guy being sliced in half with by Leatherface's chainsaw. The film takes another leaf out of Rob Zombie's book by painting Leatherface as a kind of absurd anti-hero, so come the climax you are just willing him to take his blade to more than one of the characters. Because of this change in tone and attitude toward the character the film loses the psychological horror of the 1974 classic and in a way becomes just another horror film, albeit a crowd pleasing popcorn muncher.

A few misfires aside, Texas Chainsaw is a lot of fun.

It was great to see so many of the original production have something to do with this film. Tobe Hooper produced and Gunnar Hansen and the late Marilyn Burns cameo. All three are all over the numerous docs and three commentaries on the extras packed Blu-ray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg texas-chainsaw-3d-poster1.jpg (94.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 18th March 2024, 09:33 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Apparently the South Park version was animated especially for the film. As far as I am aware, it has never appeared in any of the television episodes
It isn't in any episode of the TV show and was made specifically for The Aristocrats. If it wasn't, the content alone would probably make it unsuitable for broadcast on Comedy Central.

The last film I watched was Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio, a second viewing of a beautifully animated, funny, and moving take on Carlo Collodi's classic fairy story.

The stop-motion animation works extremely well with the story revolving around an animated woodcarving, the voice cast is superb, with David Bradley giving Geppetto a tangible sense of grief and weariness, and Ewan McGregor, with a surprisingly youthful voice, is perfect as Sebastian J. Cricket.

Other cast members include people who have worked with del Toro before and some who are collaborating with him for the first time: Christoph Waltz, Ron Perlman, Burn Gorman, Tilda Swinton, Tim Blake Nelson, John Turturro, Cate Blanchett, and Tom Kenny.

It's quite a dark film, as is the 1940 Disney version (my favourite of the 'classic' Disney films), but that darkness makes the joyful moments even more delightful. Additionally, the songs are great and the setting, 1940s fascist Italy, makes the threat to the main characters very real and acts as a useful motivation for some of the antagonists. Of the songs, I think 'My Son', which Geppetto sings to Carlo, almost brought me to tears on both viewings, and will no doubt do it again.

If you have a Netflix subscription then I highly recommend watching this; if you don't and are generally a fan of Guillermo del Toro's films, then you should probably add it to your collection.

Old 18th March 2024, 07:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Boogie Man Will Get You (1942)

Boris Karloff plays a crazed scientist using the basement of his tavern which has been bought by a new owner to conduct experiments on traveling salesmen to turn them into supermen.

This is a madcap screwball caper on the lines of Arsenic and Old Lace from two years down the line. Everyone clearly has a screw loose including Peter Lorre as the local sheriff / doctor / owner of the local asylum - where they all end up.

Enjoyably daft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-boogie-man-will-get-you-movie-poster-md.jpg (31.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 19th March 2024, 10:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Demolition Man. 1993.

Wesley Snipes plays the criminal Simon Phoenix, sentenced to be frozen and reconditioned, 36 years pass in a non violent future he wages a one man war. Sly Stallone know as the "Demolition Man" John Spartan who spent two years trying to capture his nemesis is thawed out and begin another cat and mouse game.

Bit of tongue in cheek humour with Sandra Bullock doing a history on the 20th century and idolising a police officer who liked to wreck buildings just to get the job done and upsetting his superiors alot. Bob Gunn is the chief of police who thinks of Spartan as a cave man who has no idea how the future is and has been reconditioned while being a block of ice, while taking orders from Nigel Hawthorne who helped rebuild society. Dennis Leary is the leader of the underground people who don't comply with the rehabilitation rules and plans a big heist....steal food from the those above him. Still a decent early 90s action packed film where swearing is abolished...F@ck That!

demolition-man-film-review.jpg
Old 19th March 2024, 10:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Stendhal Syndrome (1996)

It's been donkeys years since i last saw this and last night it was like i was watching a new film.

Although not one of Dario Argento's best works it does feature probably his daughter Asia's bravest performance in one of his films. Yet it's also severely flawed, over long and the final twist even i could predict long before it played out.

What struck me most was the idea of the Stendahl Syndrome. I'd completely forgotten the opening half hour at Florence's Uffizi Gallery and what the condition actually was and on viewing i was shocked as i experienced something similar visiting the same building.

What i know about art you can write on the back of a postage stamp. I've been to Italy several times and been in museum after museum and gazed upon Michelangelo's and Sistine Chapels until they became one and the same but something in that gallery in Florence completely took me over. The place was fascinating and had an indescribable power i can't explain. I've never been so captivated by artworks in my life. It was almost like i had two sets of eyes and one set was in my head with the other in the paintings. I went completely hazy and woozy, it was utterly disorientating and had to go out onto one of the balconies for air. Once i composed myself after several minutes i was fine for the rest of the visit and stayed until long after the rest of the tour group had left. However when i finally did leave i felt to hungry, as if i hadn't eaten anything for days, and ended up going straight into a Mcdonalds and eating three Bic Macs. I couldn't explain why i was so engrossed in the gallery to the people i was with. Such a weird experience.

Until i watched Dario's film last night i'd presumed i'd been affected by the heat or something but Stendahl Syndrome is a genuine condition caused by works of art. It was all i could think about really whilst watching the movie and i figure i'll always relapse into thinking about that day whenever i watch this in the future so won't pay as much attention to it as i should.

Apologies for gabbling away about something that isn't the film itself but it was a bit revelatory seeing the same thing that happened to me happen to Asia's detective in the film. Although as it's a horror thriller Asia's symptoms were let's say, more extreme and i definitely don't recall kissing a huge fish on the mouth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sindrome_di_Stendhal.jpg (19.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 20th March 2024, 01:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Day Mars Invaded Earth. 1962.

A Earth probe lands on a planet and aliens land on Earth taking over the body of a scientist and his family in preparation for a invasion.

Having Kent Taylor star in this is some what appealed to me as he was lined up to be the next Hollywood leading actor but never quite got there and was mainly drafted to B movies. Marie Windsor is the doting koving wife who seems to think something is wrong but is strangely brushed off. This does seem like a very low budget version of the Invasion Of The Body Snatchers but does have a entertaining plot to it and a decent basis on the invasion but can become a bit droll with some wooden acting and a bit of a confusing ending. Wouldn't say this was great but ins't terrible either.

uo_1586873953-4406-112.jpg
Old 20th March 2024, 03:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Stendhal Syndrome (1996)

It's been donkeys years since i last saw this and last night it was like i was watching a new film.

What struck me most was the idea of the Stendahl Syndrome. I'd completely forgotten the opening half hour at Florence's Uffizi Gallery and what the condition actually was and on viewing i was shocked as i experienced something similar visiting the same building.

Apologies for gabbling away about something that isn't the film itself but it was a bit revelatory seeing the same thing that happened to me happen to Asia's detective in the film. Although as it's a horror thriller Asia's symptoms were let's say, more extreme and i definitely don't recall kissing a huge fish on the mouth.
To be honest, your recollections of having a sensory overload and how the film made you recall a long-forgotten Italian holiday and your experiences after being in the Uffizi Gallery were probably the most interesting part of your review.

I never thought of it being a real thing that would happen to holidaymakers on a regular basis, just a fabricated plot point in one of Dario Argento's lesser films. Because what you wrote, I had a quick search online and found an article in the Telegraph from 2010 and the symptoms you described experiencing so vividly are apparently regularly seen in nearby hospitals:

Quote:
Also known as Florence Syndrome, Stendhal Syndrome has been described as a psychosomatic illness that causes rapid heartbeat, fainting, confusion and even hallucinations in people who are exposed to extraordinary artistic achievement, whether it is paintings or sculptures.

Although psychiatrists have long debated whether it really exists, its effects on some sufferers are serious enough for them to require treatment in hospital and even antidepressants.

Staff at Florence's Santa Maria Nuova hospital are accustomed to dealing with tourists suffering from dizzy spells and disorientation after admiring the statue of David, the masterpieces of the Uffizi Gallery and other treasures of the Tuscan city.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...great-art.html

I'm sure I know where my Blu-ray disc is, so it's extremely likely I'll be re-watching the film this evening.

Old 20th March 2024, 03:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
To be honest, your recollections of having a sensory overload and how the film made you recall a long-forgotten Italian holiday and your experiences after being in the Uffizi Gallery were probably the most interesting part of your review.

I never thought of it being a real thing that would happen to holidaymakers on a regular basis, just a fabricated plot point in one of Dario Argento's lesser films. Because what you wrote, I had a quick search online and found an article in the Telegraph from 2010 and the symptoms you described experiencing so vividly are apparently regularly seen in nearby hospitals:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...great-art.html

I'm sure I know where my Blu-ray disc is, so it's extremely likely I'll be re-watching the film this evening.

In a way i think the strangest thing about it was that it happened to me. I'm not what you'd call an art lover, simply a tourist who visited somewhere famous to see famous art. I had no relationship to anything in there prior to the visit. I could imagine the paintings and sculptures of the greats having an effect on an art lover but not me.

It certainly had an effect on me that day.
Old 20th March 2024, 06:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Inspector Wears Skirts II

The Female Top Squad are back and this time they are joined by new recruits in which they pull practical jokes as well as maintaining their rivalry with the male equivalent. The main villains (Who only turn up at the end) are International Terrorists. Like the original this is a rather fun flick.

Return From The River Kwai

P.O.W's held by The Japanese attempt to escape from their captors. Starring Denholm Elliott, Timothy Bottoms, Christopher Penn and a film stealing George Takei, who plays the mean and sadistic Japanese Soldier who wants to take other from the sympathetic man in charge.

I was expecting this to have been around 2 hours plus so I was pleasantly surprised when it was 98 minutes. A good watch.

Wishmaster 4: Prophecy Fulfilled

More of the same really but with the added twist of the Djinn being hassled by others when it has issues fulfilling the finder's last wish. But again it's good when unsuspecting people have their wishes backfire. It's better than the 3rd installment but the 1st Film is clearly the best in the series.

Robocop

The 1987 original classic, don't think I need to go into the plot but it's still as good as ever but I'm glad it was done in the 80's because the remake proved that if it was done in the 90's or beyond, it could have been toned down.

This was certainly one I would have loved to have seen at the Cinema at the time without knowing what happens. Also the original Theatrical Trailer had The Terminator Theme.

Hackers

1995 Teen Film which sees rival Hackers, Johnny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie team up when they and their friends are framed for a crime. Haven't seen this one in a long while and it was thoroughly enjoyable. Especially the scenes where they try to one up each other. Fisher Stevens co-stars.

Also this Film has a rather decent Soundtrack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iwsii.jpg (13.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rftrk.jpg (16.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg w4pf.jpg (12.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg r.jpg (18.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg h.jpg (14.9 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!