Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree4195Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st May 2009, 05:55 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

ive got a few turtles vids lying around and some thundercats ones
'...I believe in murder...I believe in pain...I believe in cruelty and infidelity...I believe in slime...and every putrid crawling thing...and every possible ugliness..and corruption...you son of a bitch!...'
Old 21st May 2009, 06:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

That's strange because I was rummaging through some boxes in my parents' second home last weekend and I came across loads of old TMHT videos as well as some old horror flicks that I forgot I even owned to be honest.

My collection would put most others to shame , now if only I could find the space to organise them all because it would be nice to show them off. I'm closing in on 1,800 DVDs now.
Old 21st May 2009, 06:27 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I must have between 3000-3500 now.I DON'T buy for the sake of buying.I WILL get round to watching evrything one day. I might be sixty,by that time,but I will.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st May 2009, 07:19 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Looking at my stash, It may appear that I seem to ‘collect’ certain titles and also distributors – this is partly true.
There are distributors I trust to put out good releases, and so in the many years I’ve been buying DVD’s I may tend to sway towards these. Tartan for instance is a good example that you brought up: I have a fair few Tartan releases, and have bought a considerable amount more over the last couple of months due them going into liquidation, and me not wanting titles I’ve been after for a while but putting off disappearing for good. There was and still is talk of many of their titles being re-released or handled by other distributors, but for the most part Tartan titles are usually not available on any other labels in the UK. This fact coupled with the quality of transfer that Tartan releases, as well as many titles possessing dts sound and pretty good extras, means that I have a fair few of their titles. I have nowhere near all of them, and would never want them either, only ones that I know to be good or pique my interest.

Talking of interest, I do blind buy a bit, either due to reviews, clips, or recommendations, or because they look good. DVD’s for the most part are dirt cheap nowadays (if you know where to look) and for me and my obscure tastes to see a film I must buy it, as I have no close friends nearby who like these movies, nor would I wish to rent them; because sometimes it is not much more to buy, and also most titles I purchase would be unavailable to rent. Also if I blind buy a title and hate it... there is always eBay... or trading it on here!

Now here is the part where I contradict myself and back-up most of what you are saying (): I do collect movies as well as watch them. I have duplicates of certain titles over different distributors due to different extras, the cut of the movie or also for the packaging / edition. I have four versions of Romero’s NOTLD, 3 of Fulci’s Beyond, 2 of Suspiria, Tenebre, Torso, Deep Red... (you get the point!). Also I have most of the X-Rated gialli titles, most EC titles and am looking to get certain AWE releases. Reasons are partly because I am a collector of those, and more specific titles, and partly for the reasons listed above concerning the extras, transfer and cut of the films in question. The bottom line is though, yes I have a fairly large collection of titles, some of which are duplicates and have certain distributor trends, but there isn’t a title I own that I don’t like – and if there is I will get rid of it.

I know everybody has their own reasons to collect and buy certain movies, and here is probably one the best place I’ve seen on the net where people can openly discuss their collections and put a stamp on their cult/horror diversity. For instance I know loops is ‘loopy’ () about Vipco, whereas I have never owned a Vipco release – just because I didn't really hold them in high regard. Instead I have a lot of German, Italian and US releases. I like my Synapse’s, my X-Rated Kult’s, my Raro’s and my AWE’s. I personally prefer these over other releases which is why I bought them, however others will view these as bollocks and prefer something else. I would never put a distributor before a title though, and will always buy a DVD for the film itself (no matter how many times I may already have it! )

I consider myself to be very selective (with my 1200) . The site where I host my collection is rife with people who seem to collect everything. Most regulars have around 2000 DVD's, and there are some on there with 10,000 plus. I am not into movie collecting for personal gain or to win any medals, but because I love movies, plus I like to give movie advice when I can to people who want or need it.

Last edited by vincenzo; 27th May 2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 21st May 2009, 07:22 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedorca View Post
I do fancy the look of that TMNT video though........
It's qualiity stuff! It is a double feature of Killer Pizza's and the one where Baxter Stockman (the weedy scientist guy) turns into a fly. Highly recommended for a quiet evening's viewing!
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[QUOTE=bizarre_eye;28965]. For instance I know loops is ‘loopy’ () about Vipco, whereas I have never owned a Vipco release – just because I didn't really hold them in high regard. .
QUOTE]

I collect Vipco dvds for nostalga and also because they were responsible for my love of italian horror.

I collect EC , 23 rd Century etc for the covers. i already have better versions else where. And of course i collect Shameless.

I used to have around 800 dvds but i got rid of most of them as i realised i probably never watch them again. Now when i buy dvds i watch them once and then trade them.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:30 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
It's qualiity stuff! It is a double feature of Killer Pizza's and the one where Baxter Stockman (the weedy scientist guy) turns into a fly. Highly recommended for a quiet evening's viewing!
Utter genius!!!!

Imagine it live action

Would make the Shameless library
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:32 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I admit I do have a pretty large collection, and some of the titles I have do not fit into the category of titles that are really, really worth buying for me, but some I may trade one day and have a cleanse, but I am more-or-less content with what I've got at the moment, I'm quite broad in my tastes and even though my preferences lie with gialli, gore, thriller, and horror, I do like action, asian, comedy, sci-fi, crime, arthouse, drama... Genre matters not to me: as long as it's a good film.

I do spend most of my disposable income on DVD's - I quit smoking a couple of years ago, which has meant that most of the money I used to spend there (fiver a day) gets spent on movies instead

Last edited by vincenzo; 31st May 2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Hi I posted a few pics of a few of my collection on this thread 3 days back. It said it would need to be checked by admin first etc, Which is fair play. I just wondered IF/When my post was being added??
Old 22nd May 2009, 04:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Hey EYE, I quit smoking and im on my last week of patches , and your right there mate, the extra money I have now though not smoking when I head into town on my monthly DVD /CD/Game spree really is noticeable big time mate.
I did'nt realise how much cash I spent on fag's. That alone is large enough for me never to smoke a ciggie again.

BTW im not boasting, im just agreeing with Bizarre Eye in that when you put the fag bill into the hobby money it makes a big difference , plus you feel healthier for it to boot.

Like this? Share it using the links below!