LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2009, 04:42 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Hi Pooch

Some good points there, mate.

Looking at my stash, It may appear that I seem to ‘collect’ certain titles and also distributors – this is partly true.
There are distributors I trust to put out good releases, and so in the many years I’ve been buying DVD’s I may tend to sway towards these. Tartan for instance is a good example that you brought up: I have a fair few Tartan releases, and have bought a considerable amount more over the last couple of months due them going into liquidation, and me not wanting titles I’ve been after for a while but putting off disappearing for good. There was and still is talk of many of their titles being re-released or handled by other distributors, but for the most part Tartan titles are usually not available on any other labels in the UK. This fact coupled with the quality of transfer that Tartan releases, as well as many titles possessing dts sound and pretty good extras, means that I have a fair few of their titles. I have nowhere near all of them, and would never want them either, only ones that I know to be good or pique my interest.

Talking of interest, I do blind buy a bit, either due to reviews, clips, or recommendations, or because they look good. DVD’s for the most part are dirt cheap nowadays (if you know where to look) and for me and my obscure tastes to see a film I must buy it, as I have no close friends nearby who like these movies, nor would I wish to rent them; because sometimes it is not much more to buy, and also most titles I purchase would be unavailable to rent. Also if I blind buy a title and hate it... there is always eBay... or trading it on here!

Now here is the part where I contradict myself and back-up most of what you are saying (): I do collect movies as well as watch them. I have duplicates of certain titles over different distributors due to different extras, the cut of the movie or also for the packaging / edition. I have four versions of Romero’s NOTLD, 3 of Fulci’s Beyond, 2 of Suspiria, Tenebre, Torso, Deep Red... (you get the point!). Also I have most of the X-Rated gialli titles, most EC titles and am looking to get certain AWE releases. Reasons are partly because I am a collector of those, and more specific titles, and partly for the reasons listed above concerning the extras, transfer and cut of the films in question. The bottom line is though, yes I have a fairly large collection of titles, some of which are duplicates and have certain distributor trends, but there isn’t a title I own that I don’t like – and if there is I will get rid of it.

I know everybody has their own reasons to collect and buy certain movies, and here is probably one the best place I’ve seen on the net where people can openly discuss their collections and put a stamp on their cult/horror diversity. For instance I know loops is ‘loopy’ () about Vipco, whereas I have never owned a Vipco release – just because I didn't really hold them in high regard. Instead I have a lot of German, Italian and US releases. I like my Synapse’s, my X-Rated Kult’s, my Raro’s and my AWE’s. I personally prefer these over other releases which is why I bought them, however others will view these as bollocks and prefer something else. I would never put a distributor before a title though, and will always buy a DVD for the film itself (no matter how many times I may already have it! )

Back to your original points: I consider myself to be very selective (with my 1200) . The site where I host my collection is rife with people who seem to collect everything. Most regulars have around 2000 DVD's, and there are some on there with 10,000 plus. I am not into movie collecting for personal gain or to win any medals, but because I love movies, plus I like to give movie advice when I can to people who want or need it.

It'd be great to see your collection here though Pooch; get snapping!
I agree with your post EYE, 100%.

I seem to collect in a similar way as you Eye, I to have multiple versions of films I deem as favourites and dont have any films in my collection that I dont like.
I have alot of VIPCO titles in my collection but I bought them for the film not for the label. Thats why my VIPCO titles will never be the full VIPCO release catalogue , as theres a few titles released from them that I simply dont like. .

May I ask you , in what way do you store your collection.?
Do you store by genre, director .? etc.
Old 22nd May 2009, 06:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Hey Vip's.

Cheers for the comments

At present I have them in alphabetical order, which to be honest is a chore when buying new releases, but helps immensely when finding something to watch!

I may have to find a better way of storing them, but it is working (fairly) well for me at the moment. There are some piccys of my collection a few pages back in this thread that show roughly how it's laid out. I've separated my TV, Music and animation DVD's from my movies, but will need to think of a better solution, as I am fast running out of room... I'm looking at maybe converting the loft into a media room!
Old 22nd May 2009, 06:24 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Hey EYE, I quit smoking and im on my last week of patches , and your right there mate, the extra money I have now though not smoking when I head into town on my monthly DVD /CD/Game spree really is noticeable big time mate.
I did'nt realise how much cash I spent on fag's. That alone is large enough for me never to smoke a ciggie again.

BTW im not boasting, im just agreeing with Bizarre Eye in that when you put the fag bill into the hobby money it makes a big difference , plus you feel healthier for it to boot.

Hey Vip's great work on kicking the habit!

I thought it'd be easy at first, but it's one of the toughest things you can do. I still have the odd cigar, if out and about, but the financial gain in quitting fags is astronomical. I had a mate at uni who used to regularly go abroad, and he would always bring me back a carton of 200 - they would usually be gone in a week
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold6082 View Post
Hi I posted a few pics of a few of my collection on this thread 3 days back. It said it would need to be checked by admin first etc, Which is fair play. I just wondered IF/When my post was being added??
Can you see them now?

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/show...8722#post28722
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:16 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Hey Vip's great work on kicking the habit!

I thought it'd be easy at first, but it's one of the toughest things you can do. I still have the odd cigar, if out and about, but the financial gain in quitting fags is astronomical. I had a mate at uni who used to regularly go abroad, and he would always bring me back a carton of 200 - they would usually be gone in a week

Thanks mate, its my 5th attempt but I know i've done it this time as sometimes I forget to put a new patch on and i've no cravings that I cant handle.

Your spot on about the money you gain back for other things mate. Its unbelievable. It really has astonished me the amount of cash I was literally setting fire to and blowing up in smoke.
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:30 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedorca View Post
Is that yours with the complete Cell Block H Gold.? I also see a few VIPCO's there as well, nice one.
If Bed's links correct thats a very impressive collection Gold. Great titles there, great stuff.
Have you got the SHAMELESS Release of NY RIPPER.?
If not i'd recommend it 100% . It really is the best quality version of NY RIPPER I own.
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Collateral is one of my favourite Michael Mann films actually, Tom Cruise is such an underrated actor. IT is also fantastic. No shame in owning either of those .

I want that Cell Block H set. I'll give you £500 for it.....
Old 23rd May 2009, 04:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedorca View Post
Cheers for sorting it Bedorca,Much Appreciated
Old 23rd May 2009, 02:41 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

That Cell Block H set looks awesome Gold.
Old 23rd May 2009, 03:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
That Cell Block H set looks awesome Gold.
It's a monster collection!!!!

Like this? Share it using the links below!